Fire at the Royal Hotel, 1845


Recommend Me! Suggest This Page To A Friend!

Submitted by Gary Carroll - garycarroll@hotmail.com


Morning News 5 March, 1845

FIRE. We regret we are again called upon to notice a destructive fire which took place yesterday morning in this town. About nine o'clock, the house known as the Royal Hotel, owned and occupied by Mrs. Weymouth, was discovered to be on fire, and in spite of every exertion to save it, both that and the adjoining house, owned by Mr. John Scott, coach-maker, were speedily consumed. The fire originated in the upper part of the Royal Hotel, and so rapid was its progress, that before twelve o'clock, both buildings were level with the ground. We regret to add, that Mr. Thomas Dodd, of this town, son of Captain Dodd, was seriously injured by the falling of one of the chimneys.

The wind was blowing fresh from the northwest at the time of the fire, and at one time serious fears were entertained for the safety of the neighbouring houses. Great and praiseworthy activity was shewn by all classes of the community, and the services of the troops were as usual highly effective. We understand Mrs. Weymouth's property is insured, but regret to state that this is not the case with Mr. Scott's.


Dave Hunter and The Island Register: HTML and Graphics

Last Updated: 3/24/2005 6:32:13 PM
Return to Top!
Return to Fenceviewers and Other List Page!
Return to Main Page!