Submitted by Christine Gorman
The "Age Departed, March/April, 1879"
From The Examiner, May 10, 1879, Page One
Correspondence to the Editor....
"We do not hold ourselves responsible for the statements or opinions of our correspondents."
To the Editor of the Examiner.
SIR, In fulfillment of my promise, I send you a condensed list of the "aged departed" in the months of March and April last.
Their names and years are as follows:--
- James Laird, New Glasgow, . . . . 70
- Thomas Harris, Eldon, . . . . . 70
- Mary Rowe, Montague, . . . . . 92
- Mary Ann Prospier, (Ind.), S. P. Bay, . . . 68
- Eliz. T. Tanton, St. Eleanor's, . . . . 78
- John B. Crossman, Cape Wolfe, . . . . 78
- Mary Mooney, Peake's Road, . . . . 80
- Susan Connolly, Ch'town, . . . . . 92
- D. Nicholson, Victoria Cross, Lot 57,. . . . 76
- Ann McSwain, Argyle (rear), . . . . . 75
- Nancy McLellan, Grand River (east), . . . 110
- Elizabeth Beairsto, Lower Montague, . . . 66
- Alex. Robertson, Brudenell, . . . . . 76
- Wm. Gillespie, Carlton Point . . . . . 72
- Margaret Wilson, Summerside . . . . 74
- Peter Gregor, Charlottetown, . . . . . 73
- Rebecca Whitehead, New London, . . . . 69
- Jenny Hogg, Kelvin Grove, . . . . . 75
- Patrick Daly, Lot 16, . . . . . . 74
- Elizabeth Simpson, Hope River, . . . . 65
- Bernard Clarkin, Monaghan Road, . . . 104
These are remarkable ages. Passing Kiley's stone-cutting establishment, the other day, I learned that Capt. James Furniss died at 78, and Michael Murphy at 81. If I have overlooked any names for the period covered by this letter, I will publish them in my next.
Charlottetown, May 10, 1879.