Submitted by Christine Gorman
Examination At St. Ann's
(As printed in the Charlottetown Daily Examiner, July 4, 1895)
The half-yearly examination and distribution of prizes took place at the above school on Friday, 28th June. There were present, Messrs. Joseph McAleer, Patrick Doyle and B. Quinn, Trustees; Rev. James E. McDonald, P.P., Mr. and Mrs. Dan Sullivan, Mr . And Mrs. P. Murphy, Mr. and Mrs. L. Peters and Mr. William Proctor. The classes were examined by Rev. Jas. E. McDonald and Mr. Amos Monaghan, of Kelly's Cross. The students acquitted themselves to the satisfaction of all; but arithmetic was hardly up to their standing in other branches. The keen competition in the different classes made it almost impossible to say who should have the prize. Much credit is due the Rev. Father James for his untiring efforts in this school. His presence on examination day encouraged teacher, pupils, and parents. The following is the standing:
- Second Class Reading --- 1, Mary A Quinn; 2, Doug. Grady; 3. Bridget M Cosgrove.
- Third Class --- 1, Joseph Peters; 2, Madeline Peters; 3, John H Trainor and Maggie Proctor, equal; hon. mention; Theresa Proctor and Katie Trainor.
- Fourth Class --- 1, Wilfred Sullivan and Mary A Murphy.
- Fifth Class --- 1, Maggie Croaken; 2, Katie Murphy; 3, Dannie Sullivan and Katie A McAleer, equal.
- Grammar (Advanced) --- 1, Millie Murphy; 2, Maggie Croaken; 3, Kate Murphy; honorable mention--Rob Murphy.
- History (English and Canadian) --- 1, Millie Murphy; 2, R Murphy; 3, Kate Murphy and Maggie Croaken, equal.
- Geography (Junior)--- 1, Kate Murphy; 2, Dannie and Wilf Sullivan, equal; 3, Katie A McAleer and Mary A. Murphy, equal.
- Geography (Senior) --- 1, Millie Murphy; 2 Katie Murphy and Maggie Croaken, equal; 3, Rob Murphy.
- Arithmetic (Senior) --- 1, Millie Murphy; 2, Katie Murphy; 3, Dannie Sullivan.
- Arithmetic (Junior) --- 1, Katie Trainor; 2, Madeline Peters and Wilfred Sullivan, equal; 3. Michael Murphy.
- Geometry --- 1, Robt Murphy; 2. Dannie Sullivan; 3, Millie Murphy.
- French --- 1, Jos Peters; 2, Maggie Croaken; 3, Millie Murphy.
- Writing --- 1, Millie Murphy; 2, Maggie Croaken; hon. mention, Joseph Peters
- First Prize for General Proficiency awarded to Millie Murphy.
- Second Prize for General Proficiency equally merited by Maggie Croaken, Rob Murphy, Dannie Sullivan, and Katie Murphy, won by Maggie Croaken.
- Special Prize in English History, awarded to Millie Murphy.
- Special Prize in Canadian History awarded to Robert Murphy.