Submitted by Christine Gorman
Souris Convent School Prizes
Daily Examiner, July, 3, 1897.
Distribution to the pupils of the Superior Course, which includes Writing, Reading, History, Geography, Physiology, Astronomy, Grammar, Literature, French, Latin, Geometry, Algebra and Arithmetic -
1. Jennie Gregory and Anna Belle Isle: These two young ladies are promoted to the undergraduate Course, and receive silver medals.
Honors of the course, presented by a friend of the institution - Jennie Gregory; also receives the first French prize, a generous gift of Father McLellan, pastor of St. Margaret's church.
- First class - 1. Misses Clara McEachern, Virginia Guidrey, Mary Cummins, Julia McIntyre.
- Second Class - Laura Lyons, Jane F. McDonald; English and Music. - 2, Florrie Walsh.
- Third Class - English, French and Instrumental Music - 1, Marie Antoinette Belle Isle.
- First English, second Instrumental Music - Gertrude McDonald.
- English, French and Instrumental Music - Alphida Beaulieu.
- English, French and Instrumental Music - Laura Belle Isle.
- First English, second French - Laura O'Donnell.
- English - Mabel Tierney.
- First English, third Instrumental Music - 1, Mary McInnis; 2, Annie M. McDonald, Clara Walsh, Josephine Gaudet, Agnes Tierney; 3, Mary McEachern.
Honorable mention for constant application, Elsie McBride, who being absent the greater part of the scholastic year, is not entitled to a premium.
- Religious Instruction - 1, A. Belle Isle, prize donated by Mrs. T. Kickham; 2, Margaret McIntyre, prize by Miss Elsie McBride.
- Good Conduct - Gertrude McDonald, prize by Mrs. Wm. McDonald.
- Prize for amiability - A. Belle Isle, prize by Mrs. McBride.
- Punctuality - Mary McInnis.
- Household Economy - Malvina Cheverie, prize by Miss May McDonald; 2, Eliza Gillis.
- Plain Sewing - A. Belle Isle, prize by Rev. D. F. McDonald, pastor; 2, Alpheda Beauleau, prize by Rev. D. F. Mcdonald.
- Fancy work - Laura Belle Isle, prize by Rev. D. F. McDonald.
- Four prizes for knitting, gifts of Rev. D. F. McDonald; Mary Antoinette Belle Isle, Virgie Guidrey, Gertrude McDonald, Maud Knox.
- Regular attendance to Vocal Music - Cornelia Paquette, prize by Mrs. McInnis.
Distribution of prizes to the Third Primary Class, which included Reading, Spelling, Writing, Arithmetic, Geography, Grammar and Drawing:
First Division - 1, Mary McPhee, Margaret McIntyre, Catherine A. McPhee, Cornelia Paquette; 2, Maggie Jane McPhee, Eva Lyons, Maud Knox, Nellie McPhee.
Second Division, prizes for application - Florence McDonald, Regina Hann, Valeria Cheverie, Matilda McDonald, Zita Cormier, ------- Shea, Mary M. McDonald, Margaret Bert Ida McDonald.
Third Division - Georgina O'Donnell, Mary Isabella Conroy, Annie McEachern, Mary Luce Belle Isle, Jeannette Cheverie, Artemise Paquette, Josephine McQuaid, Katie Cheverie, Evangeline Paquette, Gussie Cheverie, Agnes McInnis.
Good Conduct - Mary Jane Conway, Emma Aylward, Mollie McEachern.
Forty little misses are not entitled to premiums on account of irregular attendance.