Fifty English Immigrants Arrive in Charlottetown, 1910

Recommend Me! Suggest This Page To A Friend!

Submitted by Jean MacKay, MacNaught History Centre and Archives - and
Dutch Thompson -

Fifty English Immigrants Arrive in Charlottetown, 1910

An interesting PEI note was published in the Manitoba Free Press, Thursday, May 19, 1910, p. 9, col. 4:

"Charlottetown, P. E. I., May 18.
Fifty English settlers arrived to buy farms here. This is the first emigration of any account to Prince Edward Island since the days of early settlement. A reception was given the new settlers in the chamber of the legislature, where Governor McKinnon and others delivered addresses."

Thanks to Dutch Thompson for passing this along. We printed this note in the Island Register's Newsletter on Dec 08, 2006.

A month later, we received the following transcription from Jean MacKay, of the MacNaught History Centre and Archives, Summerside:

Summerside Journal 18 May 1910, page 1

Fifty Immigrants For Prince Edward Island; They Arrived in Charlottetown Last Week and Represent a Capital of Between $15,000 and $20,000 – Many of Them Intend Buying Farms and Settling in the Province

A splendid lot of English emigrants were brought out to Charlottetown last week by Rev. Mr. Winfield, and they were given a hearty reception upon their arriving at the Island capital. A great crowd was on the wharf to see them and as the Northumberland "tied up" to her wharf three rousing cheers went up for the new arrivals. The reception was a surprise to the "strangers in a strange land" and it made them feel that they were not without friends and well wishers.

The next afternoon a reception was given the newcomers in the Provincial Building. Hon. John Richards, Commissioner of Agriculture, who went to Halifax to meet the party, occupied the chair. After Rev. Mr. Winfield had explained his method of work and related his experience in the old country the immigrants were addressed by His Honor the Lieutenant Governor, Premier Haszard, Rev. Canon Simpson, Rev. R. F. Fullerton – all extending a hearty welcome on behalf of those whom they represent. Mr. Hallaway briefly responded, thanking the speakers and those present for the warm welcome extended to the immigrants.

The party number about fifty and represents a capital of between $15,000 and $20,000. All are the very best farmers and come from different parts of England. Included in the party are:

Mr. Hambly, of Bodwin, Cornwall, with his grown up son and daughter. Mr. Hambly’s wife and the remaining members of the family intend to stay in England until the end of the season when they will join Mr. Hambly in this province.

J. Hallaway, wife and two children, of Bambery, Oxfordshire. Mr. Hallaway is a practical farmer who comes out in the expectation of buying a farm and settling here.

Mr. Shirley, wife and son, of Bristol – good farmer – and is here to purchase a farm.

Blyth Hurst, wife and three children, from Newcastle-on Tyne, is here to buy a farm. He is a man of high education and intelligence.

Mr. Evans, with his wife and four children, from Somerset, are here to settle if they like the country.

Mr. Darcy, with his wife and six children, from Tavistock, Devonshire, intends to purchase a farm here.

Bert Yeo, of Holesworthy, Devonshire, is a young and very practical farmer who hopes to stay in the country for some time with a view to purchasing a farm.

Horace Jones, also of Holesworthy and several others, who come to purchase farms and make their homes in Prince Edward Island.

In addition to these there are eighteen or twenty young farmers and farm laborers for whom places have already been secured in various parts of the country.

Later on others are coming from the Edinburgh district, several of them with capital to invest in farmlands. Rev. Mr. Winfield will remain on the Island for about a month, and then will go to Scotland where he hopes to induce some Scotch farmers to come to the Island province.

The party came out to Halifax on the Carthaginian. The steamer while 450 miles from Glasgow broke down, one of her piston rods giving out. She signaled by wireless to the Hesperian of the accident and soon the big liner was towing the disabled steamer back to Greenock where repairs were effected in thirty-six hours. After leaving the latter port the passage was uneventful. Thick fog was met after passing Cape Sable.

Dave Hunter and The Island Register: HTML and Graphics©

Last Updated: 1/6/2007 9:17:57 PM
Return to Top!
[ Return to Fenceviewers and Lists Page!] | [Return to Main Page! ]