Lewis Marble and Granite Works


Recommend Me! Suggest This Page To A Friend!

Submitted by Juanita Rossiter - juanitarossiter@hotmail.com


Lewis Marble and Granite Works

by

Juanita Rossiter

May 2005

Great-grand daughter of Robert Lewis and Sarah MacIssac of Cable Head, PEI.

(This history was initially prepared for the Lewis Family Reunion that took place in St. Peters Bay in July 2005.)

William Paterson Lewis:

William Paterson Lewis, born circa 1827-1829, was the son of Thomas Lewis and Jane Paterson. Williamís father, Thomas, son of John Lewis and Elizabeth Douglas was supposed to have remained in Scotland when the rest of the family immigrated to Prince Edward Island in 1832. This family folklore appears to be accurate as Williamís marriage record appears in the New Abbey church records in Scotland in 1853.

When William was married, the southwest region of Scotland was made up of three regions: Dumfries (Dumfershire), Kirkcudbright (Kirkcudbrightshire), and Wigtown (Wigtonshire), with approximately forty parishes located in each area. Documents indicate that Thomasí family was situated in the parish of Southwick within Kirkcudbrightshire. William and Agnes were married on the 28 February 1853. William was documented as from the parish of Southwick and his wife Agnes from Colvend Parish. By 1856, William and Agnes had left Scotland and were settled in Cardigan, Prince Edward Island. William P. took his skills as a stone mason with him when he left Scotland and founded the Lewis Marble and Granite Works Company in Cardigan.

The Cardigan Homestead:

In August 1856, William P. purchased land on PEI. William did not follow his Lewis cousins to the St. Peters Bay area, and instead settled in the community of Cardigan. On the 27 August 1856, one-hundred acres of land on Lot 53 was conveyed to William P. Lewis from James MacAulay at a price of £45, paid in full at the time of the purchase. In this conveyance, William was listed as living in Cardigan River and his occupation listed as Mason. The land was described as "having a front of ten chains on the north side of the Cardigan River, bordered on the west by land of William McKay and on the east by William Sigsworth." This was to become the Lewis homestead in Cardigan.

William P. appears in the 1861 census return. His occupation was again listed as Mason and he was listed as a land owner. There were eleven people living in his household at that time, two of whom were from Scotland and nine from PEI. By 1861, only five of their ten children had been born, so it is uncertain who the other three individuals living in the Lewis household were at that time.

Saw and Carding Mills:

In 1867, William purchased an acre of land in Lot 54 in a Sheriffís sale. Being the "best and highest bidder," William purchased the "one acre of land with the saw mill and buildings" for £55 and 10 shillings. This mill was located near the Mitchell River. The Mercantile Agency Reference Book lists William P. as a mill owner and operator in September of 1876, whose operation was worth $2-5,000, with his credit standing as "fair."

Meachamís 1880 Atlas documents William P.ís oldest son Thomas as the owner of the three lots of land in Cardigan: one -hundred acres, sixty-four acres, and 20 acres of land. On the largest tract of land was a carding mill.

Family of William and Agnes Lewis:

William and Agnes had ten children in total: Thomas (Born circa 1855); Douglas John (circa 1856); James Augustine (17 February 1857); Margaret (28 March 1859); Jane Elizabeth (circa 1861); David (2 March 1863); Grace Paterson (31 March 1865); Mary Theresa (1 February 1868); William Alexander (22 July 1871); and Catherine Clementine (26 January 1875).

It is uncertain if their two oldest sons, Thomas and Douglas were born on PEI. In 1857, their third child James Augustine was registered as having been baptized at St. James Roman Catholic Church in Georgetown on the 25 March 1857. Out of their ten children, six were registered as having been baptized in Georgetown. Their youngest daughter Catherine was their only child to be baptized in Cardigan as the All Saintís Church Roman Catholic church was not built until 1874.

In 1881, William P. was listed as a Commissioner of Deeds for Kingís County. The 1881 census lists William and Agnes as living in Lot 53 with seven of their ten children. Five years later, Agnes (Smith) Lewis died on the 2 February 1886 aet 57 years of age. The 1891 census, therefore documented William P. as a widower, living with children Grace (then 25 years old), Mary (22), William A. (20) and Haty C. (16). This census return listed William as a "monument worker." Also living in his household at this time was Williamís son David, his wife Annie and their first child, Ernest. Tragedy was to strike the Lewis household, however, when David died five years later on the 16 October 1896 at thirty-three years of age. Annie ended up outlived her husband by fifty-three years and they are buried together in the All Saintís Catholic cemetery in Cardigan.

Three years later, William Paterson Lewis died. On his tombstone in the All Saintís Parish Cemetery in Cardigan is written, "William P. Lewis, a native of Dumfries, Scotland, departed this life, 10 June 1899, aet 70 years."

William Alexander Lewis:

It appears that after his fatherís death, William Alexander assumed the leadership of the Lewis Marble and Granite Works company. In the 1901 census, two Lewis families were documented as living in Cardigan. James was listed as a farmer living with his wife Catherine (Campbell) and son Willie D. William A. was listed as a "stonecutter" living with his wife Melvina (MacAulay) and their children Ann and Ronald.

Lewis Marble and Granite Works:

The exact date of when the Lewis Marble and Granite Works Company was established is not known. The earliest reference for William P. Lewis in PEI Directories appeared in Lovellís 1871 PEI Directory where he was listed as a farmer and mill owner. Teareís 1880-1881 Directory and Hanbook of PEI, lists William as a Justice of the Peace, in addition to being a farmer and mill owner. The first documentation for William as a "marble worker" appeared in Frederickís 1889-1890 PEI Directory. This could lead us to assume that the Marble and Granite Works company was established sometime between 1881 and 1889.

The John Alexander MacDonald and John Augustine McDonald fonds at the Prince Edward Island Public Archives contains records documenting businesses in the Cardigan area including: the Cardigan Dairying Company (1900-1915); Cardigan Silver Black Fox Co. (1913-1933); Cardigan Electric Company (1918-1934); and the Cardigan Lumber Milling Company (1917-1924) This collection also documents the remaining period of business for the Lewis Marble and Granite Works company in Cardigan.

The collection contains information about the Lewis family business from 1913 to 1917, including account sales, correspondence, a minute book and a ledger book. These records document the business during its remaining days under the ownership of the Lewis family. The first entry within the account sales file for 1913 reads, "All Saintís Church, work at altar, etc...$15.00. The account sales document such information as headstones and monuments ordered, and employers wages.

The first entry in the minute book for the Lewis Marble and Granite Works company is dated the 7 August 1912. A meeting had been held at the residence of the Mrs. W.A. Lewis "for the purpose of organizing a company to take over the granite and marble works of the late W.A. Lewis." William had died a few months previously, in June of 1812 of tuberculosis, at the age of forty-one. The individuals present at that meeting included Reverend A. MacAulay, James A. Lewis, Mrs. Melvina Lewis, widow of William Alexander, Revered J.C. MacMillan of Cardigan, Alfred Koughan and John A. MacDonald. At this meeting, it was decided "to form a joint stock company with a capital of five thousand dollars divided into shares of one-hundred dollars each." As of the 7 August 1912, the stock subscribers included:

Mrs. Melvina Lewis: $2000.00

John A. MacDonald $500.00

Alfred Koughan $400.00

Revered A.W. MacAulay $400.00

Revered J.C. MacMillan $200.00

Alfred Konoghan was appointed President and Manager of the company and John A. MacDonald, treasurer. The Directors included Rev. MacMillan, Alfred Konoghan and John A. MacDonald, all of Cardigan. Alfred Koughan was engaged as Manager with a salary of $650.00 per year and Stephen Livingston was made an assistant with a salary of $300.00 per year.

The correspondence file accounts for a large component of the records in this collection. The majority of the correspondence was from customers in the Kingís County area from such communities as Mount Stewart, Midgell, Farmington, Rollo Bay, and East Point. Tombstones were also ordered and sent to Charlottetown and as far away as Alberton, West River and Tignish. As the Lewis family had a sizeable number of relatives living in the St. Peters area, it is interesting that not one Lewis family member is documented as having ordered a tombstone from the Marble and Granite Works company from 1913 to 1917.

In addition to the tombstones, there are examples of the work produced by the company throughout the countryside. According to Beth Brehaut, "One of the finest examples of Mr. Lewisí work is the main altar at [the] All Saintís Church [in Cardigan], which he designed and carved." The Lewis Marble and Granite Works ledger also records an order from Revered MacAulay in St. Peters Bay in March of 1914:

Sold to Revered MacAulay, one white marble tablet to be cut the same as Bishop McIntyreís and erected in memory of Reverend R.J. Gillis."

Sold for $117.00, cash, the bill was paid by Father MacAulay on the 3 March 1914 and the tablet erected on the 1 July 1914. These two marble tablets, in honor of Bishop Peter McIntyre and Revered R.J. Gillis, who are buried under the church, still stand on the altar of the St. Peterís Bay Roman Catholic Church.

Reading through the correspondence relays a lot of information about the running of the business. In a copy of an unsigned letter dated the 17 December 1914 to a "Mr. J.J. Beaton of Sidney, Nova Scotia, it was written "In reply [we] would say that the business is a small one; turning out about $5000 yearly, which could be much enlarged under capable management..."

Another letter to Donald B. McInnis, Esq., of Souris dated the 17 February 1915, stated "Most of the monuments are set up in marble if they are under a hundred dollars in price. Stones over that figure are generally set up in granite. Further business correspondence documents that The Bay of Fundy Red Granite Works in St. George, New Brunswick provided the company with red granite and The Vermont Marble Company of Boston, Mass., provided the company with their marble.

The majority of the correspondence in these documents came from their customers on PEI, the majority of which were from Kingís County. An interesting series of letters from a Reverend Hughes in Minnesota, which began in May of 1915, documented the ordering of a tombstone for the parentís of Revered Hughes to be placed in the St. Bonaventure Roman Catholic cemetery in Tracadie, PEI. The Revered Hughes made two payments for this tombstone in 1915, totaling $225.00. On the 10 November 1915, a letter was written to Rev. Hughes asking if there would be "any person at Tracadie who would haul the stone from [the] railway station and held at the [the] foundation." The stone was set up in the Tracadie cemetery approximately one month later on the 3 December 1915.

An entry from the minute book documents a special meeting held on the 11 May 1914. A meeting was held at the "marble shop" to discuss "considering the proposition of Ronald Gillis with regard to a position as salesman." After some discussion, it was agreed to engage Mr. Gillis on a commission basis. "R.J. Gillis" as he was addresses in his correspondence, was from St. Peters Bay. In a letter to R.J. Gillis dated the year after he was hired, on the 18 December 1915, the company wrote:

We are sending a small granite monument to St. Andrews to be set up for Bishop Morrison. The foundation and base are already set there. Would you kindly take charge of it and complete setting it up. Bishop Morrisonís brother, Allan Morrison of Savage Harbor, will meet you there and do the hauling and give any assistance you require. You kind attention to this matter will very much oblige us as Alfred has moved to Charlottetown.

The Alfred referred to in this letter was of course, Alfred Koughan, the Manager of the company. On the 27 October 1915, another "special meeting" was held by the stakeholders of the company. The minutes for this meeting reported that "A. Koughan could not continue to manage the business as he was unable to get help for the shop." The secretary was thereafter ordered to advertize in the Guardian and Patriot newspapers for help. The correspondence files contain receipts from the Guardian newspaper for advertizing in February and March of 1916, which cost a total of $6.00.

An annual meeting was held the following year on the 8 June 1916. An entry for this meeting reads, "A proposal from Alfred Koughan and Adelbert Cairns for purchase of the stock on hand was considered and agreed to by the company." This was the last entry in the minute book. A letter from the Vermont Marble Company dated approximately one month later, on the 3 July 1916 stated they had been advised that "You have sold out your stock in trade to Messrs. A. Keoughan and A.S. Cairns who will start a new monumental works in Charlottetown.

Ledger Book, 1912-1915:

The ledger book for the Lewis Marble and Granite Works company document a variety of information for their customers between 1912 to 1915. The information in this ledger includes lists of inscriptions, payments made by customers, sometimes the exact date the tombstone was erected, the cemetery the tombstone was erected in, as well as what the tombstone was made of.

The following is a list of the customers whose names and information are included in the ledger book. The names in this chart are not in their original order, and have been arranged alphabetically. When the customerís place of residence is not listed, that is because it was not documented in the original ledger. The number beside the customerís name and place of residence is the page number that the individual is documented in the original ledger, which can be viewed at the PEI Provincial Archives. If the customer was ordering a tombstone for a family member other than their own surname, the surname appears in brackets beside the page number.

NAME:

RESIDENCE:

PAGE NUMBER IN ORIGINAL LEDGER:

Aitken, Charles

Bay Fortune

89

Aitken, George A.

Georgetown

19

Allen, Nathan S.

Botan [Boughton] Island

117

Battersby, Mrs. Robert S.

Midgell

23

Beaton, Victor

Elmira

108

Bernett, Miss Margaret

Fort Augustus

146

Birt, Samuel

Mt. Stewart

120

Bowlen, P.D.

 

 73

Burge, James

St. Peters Bay

112

Burke, Joseph

Fortune Bridge

21

Bruce, Mrs. Annie

Baltic

153

Byrne, Patirck

St. Theresas

2

Callaghan, John

Southport

121

Cameron, Stanley

Elmira

162

Carroll, Josie and James

York Station

6

Chaisson, Peter

Bear River Line Road

109

Coffin, Artemas

French Village

154

Coffin, Victor

Savage Harbor

118

Colgan, Joseph

 

 46

Collings, Guss

New Perth

139

Corcoran, Mrs. Martin

 

 47

Cox, Harry

Morell

107

Curran, Reverend Thomas

Cardigan

52

Davis, Mrs. M.J.

Atkins Ferry

141

Delorie, Miss M.A.

Brundenell

59

Dingwall, Mrs. Doris

Dingwells Mills

61

Dingwall, Henry

Annandale, Lot 56

10

Donahoe, John

Roseneath

100

Doyle, John R.

French Village

155

Dreelan, Mrs. William

Orwell Cove

33 & 37

Drinkwaiter, Mrs. David

Charleston, Mass.

91 (Campbell & MacDonald)

Dromoire, Mrs. John Hughes

 

 145

Dunn, Thomas

Summerville

27 & 29

Egan, Mrs. David

Mount Stewart

30

Feehan, James

Savage Harbor

96

Finlayson, Allen

Cardigan

54

Flynn, Peter

St. Peters Road

60

Forsyth, Mrs. Joseph

Grand Tracadie

53

Fougere, Philip

Lower Montague

95

Galbraith, Mrs. Hattie A.

Saith Bridge, Mass

12 (Beers)

Garland, James

Websterís Corner

11

Garner, Mrs. Margaret

Georgetown

7

Gay, A.F.

 

 129

Gillis, Mrs. Agnes

Charlottetown

38

Goodwin, Thomas

St. Theresaís West

57

Gordon, Arthur

 

 22

Gordon, Heber

Cardigan

39

Grant, Richard

Charlottetown

90

Ings, Ernest

Hazelbrook

92

James, Mrs. Henry

Maple Leaf, Lot 56

14

Kane, Mrs. T.

Summerside

132

Keenan, Miss Nellie

Charlottetown

126

Kelly, Patrick

Cardigan

93

Kickham, Richard

 

 44

Knight, John A.

Cardigan

8

Landrigan, Mrs. James

Charlottetown

50

Laverty, Mes. E.P.

Johnstons River

148

Lavie, Mr. Charles

Souris

17

Lavie, John

Souris

133

Lathard, Fred

Cardigan

144

Marah, Mrs. John O.

Cardigan

26

Matheson, Miss Mary

Dundas, Lot 55

63

McAdam, Mrs. Catherine

Burn Point

24

MacAulay, Clara

Souris

164

MacAulay, Revered

St. Peters Bay

97 (Bishop McIntyre)

McCarthy, Eddie

Morell Rear

28

McCormack, Mrs. A.J.

 

 9

McCormack, Charles

Souris

83

MacCormack, Donald

Georgetown

58

MacCormack, Donald

Georgetown

68

McCormack, James

Rollo Bay

140

McCormack, James D.

Vancouver, B.C.

70 (McLean, Campbell)

McCormack, Leo L.

Rock Barra

152

McCormack, Leo S.

Big Pond

161

McCormack, Michael

Souris East

20

McCormack, Michael

Souris West cemetery

102

McDonald, Augustus

Souris East

163

McDonald, D.J.

St. Andrews

105

MacDonald, Miss Francis

North Sydney, NS

18

McDonald, Herman

St. Margarets (Bear River Station)

115

MacDonald, Mrs. J.E.

Cardigan

62

MacDonald, Miss Julie

DeGrosh March

79

McDonald, John A.

Bear River

103

MacDonald, John E.

Souris East

80

McDonald, John F.

Sailorís Hope, Lot 56

1

McDonald, J.G.

Sailorís Hope

125

McDonald, Revered D.J.G.

St. Georges

49

McDonald, R.

Pisquid

106

MacEwen, H.D.

 

 45

McInnis, Adrin

Red Point

113

McInnis, Mrs. Agnes

 

 43

McInnis, J.D.

St. Peters Bay

168

McInnis, John G.

St. Georges

104

McIntyre, Peter J.

Cascade, N.H.

168 (Flynn & McIntyre)

McIsaac, James

Souris

40

McIsaac, John

St. Peters Bay

87

McIsaac, Vincent

Souris East

156

MacKay, Miss Cassie

Midgell

149

McKay, John

Mount Hope

41

McKearney, Michael

Charlottetown

88

McKinnon, Mrs. John

Stratcona

72

McKinnon, Patrick H.

Southampton

116

McKinnon, Mrs. Stephen

McAskill River, Lot 42

85

McLaine, Mrs. Donald

St. Peters Bay

86

McLaren, Mrs. John

Montague

32

McLaren, Mrs. Captain William

Georgetown

134

McLeod, Mrs. Daniel A.

Lorne Valley

130

McMillan, Neil

Wood Islands

48

MacNeill, Mrs. Joseph

Morell

15

MacPhee, W.J.

Burn Point

34

McPhee, William

Mount Hope

42

McPherson, Angus

Union Road

135

MacPherson, Donald

St. Peters Road

35

McPherson, Ronald J.

 

 98

McQuaid, A.J.

Souris East

157 & 158

McQuaid, John J.

Pisquid

64 & 71

McQuaid, Owen

Dorchester St., Charlottetown

122

Mills, James

Sailorís Hope, Lot 56

4

Monaghan, Miss Mary

 

 76

Mooney, John J.

Greenvale

160

Mooney, Lenard

Greenvale

137

Morrison, James

Bridgetown

119

Morrison, Mrs. Joseph

St. Peters Bay

151

Mullally, Dr.

 

 78

Mullin, Mrs. Mary

Kensington

51

Murphy, R. Maud

Summerside

3

Murphy --------

St. Anns, Hope River

69

Muttart, Dr. E.B.

Souris

81

Nicholson, Alexander

Union Road

67

Nicholson, Neil

Head, Cardigan

5

Norton, E.D.

Brudenell

124

OíConnell, Maurice

Johnstonís River

66

OíConner, Mrs. George M.

 

 94

Parker, George H.

 

 56

Phelan, Reverend Stephen T.

Pastor of Georgetown and Montague

150

Pigott, William D.

Mount Stewart

165

Power, Mrs. John

Newton Cross

99

Riley, J.D.

Charlottetown

128

Rolibary, Daniel White

 

82

Rose, George

Elmira

111

Sanderson, Harvey

Midgell

84

Scott, Mrs. Walter

Commercial Cross

13 (Reilly)

Scully, Miss Mary E.

Souris West

25

Scully, M.N.

 

 136

Sencabaugh, William

Georgetown

65

Shaw, Mrs. Cyrus

New Perth

127

Sharkey, Patrick

Cardigan

36

Sinnott, Miss Hannah

Bristol

131

Smith, J.J.

New Perth

123

Steele, Miss Sophie

Little Pond, Lot 56

55

Stewart, Donald

Upton

167

Stewart, Hugh

Georgetown

7

Sutherland, Mr. Clement

 

16

Sutherland, George

Cardigan

31

Taylor, Thomas

Lower Montague

110

Trainor, Patrick

 

143

Walker, Mrs. Donald J.

Launching

74

Walker, Revered Father

 

101

Walker, Ronald

 

 75

Weatherbie, Rubell

 

 77

Webster, Mrs. Charles

Marie

166

Webster, Judson

Midgell

114

Whitman, Mrs. Joseph

Aitkens Ferry

159

 

ENDNOTES:

. Examiner, 21 December 1863, p. 3.

This article contains a death announcement for John Lewis, stating "He was a native of Kirkendbrightshire, Scotland, and emigrated to North America AD 1832."

1. During 1991-1192, I was an exchange student at the University of Dundee, in Dundee, Scotland. In May of 1992, I went to Dumfries, Scotland, attempted to do some research on the Lewis family history, and the only item I came across that I recognized as belonging to our family was Williamís marriage record.

2. Land Conveyances, Liber 72, Folio 541, Public Archives and Records Office of PEI (PARO).

3. Ibid.

4. Land Conveyances, Liber 88, Folio 529, PARO.

5. Mercantile Agency Reference Book, September 1876, PARO.

6. St. James Roman Catholic Church Records, (PARO), Accession # 3538A/1,4.

7. These directories can be viewed on microfilm at the PEI Public Archives and Records Office (PARO), Accession # 4064.

8. John Alexander MacDonald and John Augustine McDonald fonds, Accession # 3503, Series 3, Box 25, (PARO).

9. The dates following these businesses do not indicate the years of operation, instead indicate the years for which records exist in this particular collection (fonds) of information.

10. Accession # 3503, Box 25, Lewis Marble and Granite Works company minute book.

11. Montague Funeral Home Records, p. 62, PARO. (Melvina Lewis outlived her husband, William Alexander by fifty-one years, and died in 1963. William and Melvina are buried in the All Saints Parish Roman Catholic cemetery in Cardigan).

12. Accession # 3503, Box 25, Lewis Marble and Granite Works company minute book.

13. Stephen Livingston was the son of Alexander Livingston and Margaret MacDonald of Cardigan.

14. Brehaut, Beth, Highlights of Cardigan Area (Prince Edward Island: 1987), p. 27

15. Accession # 3503, Box 25, Lewis Marble and Granite Works company ledger, p. 97.

16. Accession # 3503, Box 25, Lewis Marble and Granite Works correspondence file, 1914.

17. Accession # 3503, Box 25, Lewis Marble and Granite Works correspondence file, 1915.


Dave Hunter and The Island Register: HTML and Graphics©

Last Updated: 11/13/2005 8:12:03 AM
Return to Top!
[ Return to Fenceviewers and Lists Page!] | [Return to Main Page! ]