Submitted by Neil Hardy - firstname.lastname@example.org
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of Thomas Best and Maria Hutchinson
Generation No. 1
1. THOMAS1 BEST was born Abt 1780 in Wold Newton Yorkshire England. He married MARIA (BEST) HUTCHINSON. She was born Abt 1780 in Wold Newton Yorkshire England.
Notes for THOMAS BEST:
Thomas Best & his Wife Maria and their children sailed from England in 1817 aboard the ship "Valiant". The Hardy's, West's, Vessey's & Best's families were the original settlers at Little York PEI. A few years later they moved to Lot 27.
Children of THOMAS BEST and MARIA HUTCHINSON are:
i. RICHARD2 BEST, b. December 20, 1810, Wold Newton Yorkshire England; d. September 29, 1847, Crapaud PEI; m. ELIZABETH (BEST) NEWSON; b. 1816; d. 1880, Crapaud PEI.
More About ELIZABETH (BEST) NEWSON:
Burial: Crapaud PEI
ii. JAMES BEST, b. November 9, 1812, Wold Newton Yorkshire England; d. January 1, 1894, Lot 16 PEI.
iii. ELIZABETH BEST, b. Abt 1814, Wold Newton Yorkshire England; d. August 21, 1821.
iv. JOHN BEST, b. Abt 1814; d. Nova Scotia.
2. v. JOY BEST, b. October 26, 1816, Wold Newton Yorkshire England; d. Lot 27 Sealetown PEI.
Generation No. 2
2. JOY2 BEST (THOMAS1) was born October 26, 1816 in Wold Newton Yorkshire England, and died in Lot 27 Sealetown PEI. He married BARBARA E (BEST) (CROCKETT) JARDINE, daughter of JOHN JARDINE and JANE BELL. She was born Abt 1821, and died October 25, 1902.
Children of JOY BEST and BARBARA JARDINE are:
3. i. RICHARD3 BEST, b. December 20, 1844; d. 1918.
4. ii. JANIE (HOWATT) BEST, b. 1849; d. 1945.
5. iii. ANNIE (FRANCES) BEST, b. 1850.
iv. THOMAS BEST, b. 1853; m. (1) MRS (BEST) DUGGAN; b. Abt 1853; m. (2) FLORA (BEST) THOMPSON; b. Abt 1853.
6. v. JAMES BEST, b. 1855; d. 1943.
vi. ALBERT BEST, b. 1857.
7. vii. ELIZA (HAYES) BEST, b. 1858.
viii. JACOB BEST, b. 1861; d. 1942; m. (1) SADIE (BEST) MCDOUGALL; b. Abt 1861; m. (2) ANNIE (BEST) BERNARD; b. Abt 1861.
ix. JOHN BEST, b. 1863; m. MARY JANE (BEST) BERNARD; b. Abt 1863.
x. FLORA A BEST, b. 1864.
8. xi. LEONORA (SUDSBURY) BEST, b. 1865; d. 1925.
Generation No. 3
3. RICHARD3 BEST (JOY2, THOMAS1) was born December 20, 1844, and died 1918. He married (1) ELEANOR (BEST) WOOD, daughter of WILLIAM WOOD and M ENMAN. She was born Abt 1838 in Kouchebouquac NB, and died 1865. He married (2) VIRGINIA (BEST) RAMSAY, daughter of THOMAS RAMSAY. She was born 1857, and died 1934.
Child of RICHARD BEST and ELEANOR WOOD is:
i. MRS (DARLEY)4 BEST, b. Abt 1876; d. USA; m. MR DARLEY; b. Abt 1876; d. USA.
Children of RICHARD BEST and VIRGINIA RAMSAY are:
ii. LAURA H (MILTON) (KEEFE)4 BEST, b. Abt 1885; m. (1) MR MILTON; b. Abt 1885; m. (2) ALEXANDER KEEFE; b. Abt 1887.
iii. MILLICENT J (WOODSIDE) (FRANCIS) BEST, b. Abt 1887; m. (1) CHESLEY M WOODSIDE; b. 1885; d. 1967; m. (2) FREDERICK FRANCIS; b. Abt 1887.
9. iv. BEECHER T BEST, b. 1889; d. 1969.
v. LOTTIE B (CARD) (GRUNDMEYER) BEST, b. Abt 1891; m. (1) EBEN CARD; b. Abt 1891; m. (2) BERNARD GRUNDMEYER; b. Abt 1891.
4. JANIE (HOWATT)3 BEST (JOY2, THOMAS1) was born 1849, and died 1945. She married JOSIAH HOWATT, son of CHARLES HOWATT and MARY NICHOLSON. He was born Abt 1849.
Children of JANIE BEST and JOSIAH HOWATT are:
i. IRVING B4 HOWATT, b. 1875; d. 1963.
ii. B MOTIMER HOWATT, b. 1877; d. 1942; m. PEARL (HOWATT) BROWN; b. Abt 1877.
iii. ELIPHALET HOWATT, b. 1882; d. 1970; m. ANNIE LOIS (HOWATT) MCGOUGAN; b. Abt 1882.
iv. VIVIAN EDITH (JOHNSTONE) HOWATT, b. September 27, 1893; d. February 20, 1924; m. WILLIAM ELMER JOHNSTONE; b. 1892.
v. BRUCE HOWATT, b. Abt 1895; m. EDNA (HOWATT) SMITH; b. Abt 1895.
vi. JEAN (BEST) HOWATT, b. Abt 1897; m. TREMAINE BEST; b. Abt 1897.
vii. ANNIE (SHARP) (SIMS) HOWATT, b. Abt 1899; m. (1) WILLIAM SHARP; b. Abt 1899; m. (2) JAMES SIMS; b. Abt 1899.
5. ANNIE (FRANCES)3 BEST (JOY2, THOMAS1) was born 1850. She married JOHN FRANCIS. He was born Abt 1850.
Child of ANNIE BEST and JOHN FRANCIS is:
i. ELIZA (ALLAN)4 FRANCIS, b. Abt 1880; m. REUBEN ALLAN; b. Abt 1880.
6. JAMES3 BEST (JOY2, THOMAS1) was born 1855, and died 1943. He married MARTHA (BEST) STEEVES 1890. She was born Abt 1855.
Children of JAMES BEST and MARTHA STEEVES are:
i. STEPHANIE (BREWSTER)4 BEST, b. Abt 1885; m. HERBERT BREWSTER; b. Abt 1885.
ii. CHARLES BEST, b. Abt 1887; d. Bet. 1914 - 1918.
iii. RUTH (CURRIE) BEST, b. Abt 1889; m. WILLIAM CURRIE; b. Abt 1889.
7. ELIZA (HAYES)3 BEST (JOY2, THOMAS1) was born 1858. She married J FRANK HAYES. He was born Abt 1858.
Children of ELIZA BEST and J HAYES are:
i. VINEY (BELL)4 HAYES, b. Abt 1888; m. MARTIN BELL; b. Abt 1888.
ii. JOY HAYES, b. Abt 1890; m. EMELINE (HAYES) REEVES, Abt 1910; b. Abt 1890.
10. iii. SADIE (SILLIKER) HAYES, b. Abt 1892.
8. LEONORA (SUDSBURY)3 BEST (JOY2, THOMAS1) was born 1865, and died 1925. She married LEMUEL SUDSBURY, son of JOHN SUDSBURY and MARY PROFITT. He was born Abt 1865.
Children of LEONORA BEST and LEMUEL SUDSBURY are:
i. HOWARD4 SUDSBURY, b. 1884, Spring Valley PEI; d. 1962; m. FANNIE (SUDSBURY) MCINNIS; b. Abt 1884.
ii. PERCY SUDSBURY, b. 1886; d. 1962; m. HELEN (SUDSBURY) BIGELOW; b. Abt 1886.
iii. IDA MAY (CROSSMAN) SUDSBURY, b. 1888; d. 1910; m. SOLOMON BRADFORD CROSSMAN; b. Abt 1887.
iv. JAMES SUDSBURY, b. 1890; d. 1979; m. EVA (SUDSBURY) WEBSTER; b. Abt 1890.
v. ALVIN WILLARD SUDSBURY, b. October 25, 1892; d. July 2, 1980; m. LOUISE (SUDSBURY) FARROW, April 17, 1916, Central Bedeque PEI; b. Abt 1892.
vi. EVELYN ELSIE (CROSSMAN) SUDSBURY, b. June 8, 1895; d. December 15, 1984; m. SOLOMON BRADFORD CROSSMAN; b. Abt 1887.
vii. GERTIE (READ) SUDSBURY, b. Abt 1897; m. ALBERT READ; b. Abt 1897.
Generation No. 4
9. BEECHER T4 BEST (RICHARD3, JOY2, THOMAS1) was born 1889, and died 1969. He married RUTH A (BEST) RAMSAY. She was born 1896, and died 1982 in Hamilton Ontario.
10. SADIE (SILLIKER)4 HAYES (ELIZA (HAYES)3 BEST, JOY2, THOMAS1) was born Abt 1892. She married FRASER SILLIKER. He was born Abt 1892.