Submitted by Kingsley Walsh - firstname.lastname@example.org
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of John Brenan and Alice Brenham
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 BRENAN was born Bef. 1781 in Ireland, and died Aft. 1841 in Kinkora, PEI. He married ALICE BRENHAM. She died Bef. 1841 in Kinkora, PEI.
Notes for JOHN BRENAN: The 1841 census of Lot 27 lists Lieut. John Brenan, farmer occupying 100 acres with a 999 year lease with 8 years expired. He was a widower over 60 years of age and had 7 other members of the hosuehold. They were a male & a female age 16-45 and 2 males & 3 females under 16 years of age. Although there were 8 individuals in the household the records for place of birth give 4 born in Ireland and 2 born on PEI. All 8 are Roman catholic in faith & the 4 born in Ireland had paid their own passage to PEI. john was paying rent of 6 pence per acre rent with the full rent of 5lb. due to start in 1853. The land was listed as only being of 2nd quality. The farm produce for the year consisted of 8 bushels of wheat, 4 bushels of barley, 100 bushels of oats & 600 bushels of potatoes. The family owned 1 horse, 10 neat cattle, 17 sheep & 9 hogs.
More About JOHN BRENAN: Emigration: 1833, Leased 100 acres Lot 27, PEI. Military service: Unknown, Lieutenant. Occupation: 1841, Farmer
Children of JOHN BRENAN and ALICE BRENHAM are:
2. i. JOHN2 BRENAN, b. Bef. 1820, Ireland; d. Bef. 1881, Kinkora, PEI.
3. ii. ANNE BRENAN, b. Bef. 1820, Ireland; d. Aft. December 1841, Kinkora, PEI.
iii. UNKNOWN BRENAN, b. Bef. 1825.
4. iv. EDWARD BRENAN, b. Bef. 1825, Ireland; d. Bef. April 1866, Kinkora, PEI.
v. MARY BRENAN, b. 1825, Ireland; m. MICHAEL MAY, August 05, 1857, Kelly's Cross, PEI.
vi. ELIZABETH BRENAN, b. December 30, 1835.
vii. ELIZA BRENAN, b. Bef. 1841; m. PATRICK NOONAN, February 16, 1858.
5. viii. WILLIAM BRENAN, b. 1831; d. January 21, 1896, Kinkora, PEI.
6. ix. MICHAEL BRENAN, b. Bef. 1840, Kinkora, PEI.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN2 BRENAN (JOHN1) was born Bef. 1820 in Ireland, and died Bef. 1881 in Kinkora, PEI. He married MARY WALSH July 14, 1839 in St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Kinkora, PEI, daughter of JAMES WALSH and ELLEN UNKNOWN. She was born 1821 in Ireland, and died Aft. 1881 in Kinkora, PEI.
Notes for JOHN BRENAN:
The 1841 census for Lot 27, PEI lists John Brenan, farmer occupying 100 acres with a 999 year lease with 1 year completed. The land was listed as 2nd quality with a rent of 5 lb. per year to start in 1843. There was 1 daughter under 16 years of age. this would appear to be Jane B. born in Kinkora April1, 1841 & baptized May 20 at St. Dunstan's Basilica in Charlottetown, PEI. The first daughter Ally born Kinkora August 1839 was baptized at St. Dunstan's also. She was listed as illegitimate. It would seem she had died before the 1841 census, perhaps even after the birth of Jane as the next daughter born in 1857 was also named Alice. The farm produce for 1841 consisted of 15 bushels of oats & 260 bushels of potatoes. There was no livestock listed.
More About JOHN BRENAN: Occupation: 1841, Farmer
Children of JOHN BRENAN and MARY WALSH are:
i. ALLY3 BRENAN, b. August 1839.
ii. JANE B. BRENAN, b. April 01, 1841.
iii. THOMAS BRENAN, b. January 19, 1846.
iv. ALLAN BRENAN, b. July 19, 1848.
v. ALICE BRENAN, b. 1857.
vi. WILLIAM BRENAN, b. 1860.
vii. THOMAS BRENAN, b. 1852.
3. ANNE2 BRENAN (JOHN1) was born Bef. 1820 in Ireland, and died Aft. December 1841 in Kinkora, PEI. She married PATRICK WALSH May 16, 1836 in St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Church, Kinkora, PEI. He was born in Ireland, and died Bef. December 1841 in Kinkora, PEI.
Children of ANNE BRENAN and PATRICK WALSH are:
i. FANNY3 WALSH, b. September 04, 1837.
ii. JAMES PATRICK WALSH, b. August 01, 1839.
iii. PATRICK JAMES WALSH, b. March 21, 1841.
4. EDWARD2 BRENAN (JOHN1) was born Bef. 1825 in Ireland, and died Bef. April 1866 in Kinkora, PEI. He married ELLEN MAY January 25, 1858, daughter of MICHAEL MAY and CATHERINE DELANEY. She was born February 06, 1837.
Notes for EDWARD BRENAN: 1861 census Lot 27, PEI lists Edward Brenan with 100 acres. 50 of these were 1st class & 50 acres were 3nd class. 25 acres were arable cleared land. On these 25 acres they had produced 100 bushels of oats, 20 bushels of buckwheat & 100 bushels of potatoes. As well they had produced 10 lbs. of butter. The livestock consisted of 1 horses, 2 cattle, 4 sheep & 1 hog.
More About EDWARD BRENAN: Occupation: 1861, Farmer
Children of EDWARD BRENAN and ELLEN MAY are:
i. JOHANNA3 BRENAN, b. December 03, 1858.
ii. WILLIAM BRENAN, b. 1860.
Notes for WILLIAM BRENAN: William was a witness at the July 13, 1865 marriage of his brother-in-law Patrick Moan to his second wife Theresa Rooney. This took place at St. Malachy's Church, Kinkora, PEI.
iii. MARIA BRENAN, b. May 10, 1862.
iv. EDWARD LAWRENCE BRENAN, b. April 09, 1866.
7. v. LAVINIA ANN BRENAN, b. July 03, 1857.
5. WILLIAM2 BRENAN (JOHN1) was born 1831, and died January 21, 1896 in Kinkora, PEI. He married CATHERINE HANNIFEN. She was born November 08, 1846, and died March 07, 1927 in Kinkora, PEI.
More About WILLIAM BRENAN: Burial: St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Cemetary, Kinkora, PEI
More About CATHERINE HANNIFEN: Burial: St. Malachy's Roman Catholic Cemetary, Kinkora, PEI
Children of WILLIAM BRENAN and CATHERINE HANNIFEN are:
i. MARGARET JANE3 BRENAN, b. September 17, 1872.
ii. MARY BEATRICE PATRICIA BRENAN, b. March 11, 1879.
iii. MICHAEL PATRICK BRENAN, b. April 01, 1876.
iv. LEVINIA ELLEN BRENAN, b. September 24, 1883.
v. ANN EMILIE BRENAN, b. September 01, 1870.
vi. JOHN L. BRENAN, b. 1866.
6. MICHAEL2 BRENAN (JOHN1) was born Bef. 1840 in Kinkora, PEI. He married MARY ANN MOYNAGH. She was born Bef. 1840.
Notes for MICHAEL BRENAN: 1861 census Lot 27, PEI lists Michael Brenan with 162 acres. 100 of these were 1st class, 50 acres were 2nd. class & 12 acres were 3nd class. 80 acres were arable cleared land. On these 25 acres they had produced 27 bushels of wheat, 900 bushels of oats,45 bushels of buckwheat, 500 bushels of potatoes, 200 bushels of turnips & 10 tons of hay. As well they had produced 100 lbs. of butter & 97 yards of cloth. The livestock consisted of 4 horses, 10 cattle, 35 sheep & 6 hogs.
More About MICHAEL BRENAN: Occupation: 1861, Farmer
Children of MICHAEL BRENAN and MARY MOYNAGH are:
i. ELLEN3 BRENAN
ii. MARY ELIZABETH BRENAN, b. March 02, 1858.
iii. ALBERT EDWARD BRENAN, b. November 09, 1860.
iv. WILLIAM HENRY BRENAN, b. June 19, 1864.
v. ADELINE LOUISA BRENAN, b. September 28, 1865, Kinkora, PEI; d. 1938; m. FRANK CROKEN; b. 1857; d. 1938.
vi. LILLIAN BEATRIX BRENAN, b. June 24, 1867.
vii. CLARA ANN BRENAN, b. March 12, 1869.
viii. LAURA MELVINA BRENAN, b. March 03, 1871.
ix. MAUD ALICE BRENAN, b. January 10, 1875.
x. MICHAEL JAMES BRENAN, b. June 14, 1876.
Generation No. 3
7. LAVINIA ANN3 BRENAN (EDWARD2, JOHN1) was born July 03, 1857. She married EDWARD JOESPH HORNE.
Child of LAVINIA BRENAN and EDWARD HORNE is:
i. LOUISA IRENE4 HORNE, b. October 07, 1884.