Submitted by Hazel Maclaren - Hmaclaren@PEI.sympatico.ca
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of Capt. John "Erasmus" Davidson and Matilda Dingwell
1. Capt. John "Erasmus "Davidson, b. 1785. He married Matilda Dingwell, married abt 1812, b. 07-29-1793 in St. Peter's Bay P.E.I., baptized 05-21-1794 in St. Paul's Charlottetown P.E.I., d. in Bay Fortune. Capt. died 08-20-1834 in ship wreck of Richmond Bay P.E.I.
Capt .Erasmus Davidson was settled on P..E.I. before 1800 .
By 1810 and 1811 he was sailing his ship "George" regularly between P.E.I. and St. John's before his marriage to Matilda Dingwell of St. Peter's in 1812.
Matilda was the daughter of Alexander Bates Dingwell [1766-1841] who was born Rash Crook, Birnie, Scotland Band was married, 1786 in Charlottetown to Margaret Morrow born County Armagh, Scotland abt. 1768 Both Matilda's parents died at Bay Fortune.
Her grandparents were John Bates Dingwell [1730 -1820] born Culloden, Inverness, Scotland and Margaret Boyd born 1735 in Scotland, died 1792 at St. Peter's Bay, St. Johns Island, Canada. They were married in Scotland.
On Sept 2, 1834 The Royal Gazette reported; "The new Briggadine , John Erasmus Davidson Master, from Souris, while standing for Richmond Bay, where she was going for a cargo was struck on middle ground ,on Wednesday the twentieth [Aug] All four hands got into the boats for the purpose of carrying out an anchor. The boat soon filled, and melancholy to relate, all hands were drowned .We have not heard if the vessel has gotten off or not".Matilda was left a widow with five children age eight to twenty one, Their oldest daughter had married the winter before.Fifteen years later, their other two daughters Margaret [Mrs John W. Cooper] and Mary Eliza, in their late twenties sailed to California with the Cooper family on the ship "Packett". Margaret's first born child, a daughter was born aboard ship in the San Francisco harbor. In less than a year, Margaret , Mary E. and the infant had all died of cholera.
The youngest child James grew up with his mother's people [the Dingwells] and went into partnership to form the Davidson & Dingwell Co. in Rollo Bay. Merchant , Post Office, and Pub. He died with tuberculosis age fourty five. According to the "Patriot " Jan 7,1871, He was conveyed to the church by the grand order of "Free Masons" who were already firmly established on P.E.I.
All descendants of Captain Erasmus and Matilda are descended through their other two children Erasmus Davidson Jr., and Elizabeth Davidson [Mrs. James Coffin].
2. i Elizabeth Davidson b. 06-06-1813.
3. ii Erasmus Davidson Jr. " Farmer " b. 1816.
4. iii Margaret Davidson b. 1820.
iv Mary Eliza Davidson, b. 1822 in Bay Fortune lot 43, d. 1850 [cholera] in San Francisco. California U.S.A.
v James Davidson "merchant", b. 1826 in LOT 43 Bay Fortune, d. 01-07-1871 in Rollo Bay P.E.I.
2. Elizabeth Davidson, b. 06-06-1813 in Bay Fortune lot 43 P.E.I., baptized 02-25-1814 in St.Pauls Charlottown P.E.I. She married James Coffin "Farmer", married 01-21-1834, b. 03-01-1810 in Savage Harbor P.E.I., buried: 05-07-1877 in West St, Peter's cemetery. Elizabeth buried: 1888 in West St Peters Cemetery.
i Mary Ann Coffin, b. 11-16-1834 in St Peter's Bay P.E.I. She married Eustace William Fuller, married 04-11-1863.
ii Alpheus Kemble Coffin "Farmer", b. 10-03-1836 in St .Peter's Bay P.E.I. He married Jennie Kimble, married 06-21-1877 in Westfield.Mass.U.S.A., b. 02-09-1848 in Chateauguy New York, buried: 12-09-1913 in Pine Hill Cemetery Westfield Mass. Alpheus died 02-09-1917 in Pine Hill cemetery Westfield Mass.
iii Harriet Coffin, b. 11-17-1838 in St .Peter's Bay P.E.I. She married Alexander MacLearn Clergy, married 07-21-1859.
iv Erasmus .F. Coffin "Farmer", b. 09-26-1840 in St.Peter's Bay P.E.I. He married Mary Ann Anderson, married 06-06-1869, b. abt 1845, buried: 02-28-1918 in West St,Peter's Cemetery. Erasmus buried: 03-0401917 in West St.Peter's cemetery.
v Elizabeth Jane Coffin, b. 07-29-1843 in St,Peter's Bay P.E.I. She married John James Mills "Farmer", married 08-29-1865, b. 09-05-1840 in Eglington Lot 43 P.E.I., buried: 1918 in Bay Fortune U.C. Cemetery. Elizabeth buried: 1914 in Bay Fortune U.C.Cemetery.
vi Frederick Holland Coffin, b. 09-02-1845 in St.Peter's Bay P.E.I. He married Sarah Jane Winters, married 09-02-1873 in Westfield Mass U.S,A,, b. in Russell Mass U.S,A., buried: in Pine Hill Cemetery Westfield Mass ,. Frederick died typhoid fever 1901 in Interred Pine Hill cemetery Westfield.
vii Emily Coffin, b. 05-25-1848 in St.Peter's Bay P.E.I. She married Robert Davidson Sterns "organ builder', married 04-11-1869 in Westfield Mass U.S.A., buried: 09-20-1897 in Pine Hill Cemetery Westfield Mass. Emily buried: 05-19-1929 in Pine Hill Cemetery Westfield Mass.
viii Ellen Marie Coffin, b. 10-19-1854 in St Peter's Bay P.E.I., buried: 01-06-1867 in West St,Peter's Cemetery.
3. Erasmus Davidson Jr. " Farmer ", b. 1816 in LOT 43 Bay Fortune P.E.I. He married Ann McPhee, married 05-01-1851 in Souris P.E.I., b. 1834 in Souris P,E,I., buried: in Bay FortuneU.C. Cemetery P.E.I. Erasmus buried: 09-25-1882 in Bay Fortune U.C.. cemetery.
i Robert Davidson, b. 1851 in Bay Fortune, buried: 1870 in Bay Fortune U.C.C.emetary.
ii Mary Davidson, b. 1856 in Bay Fortune. She married Daniel Remick, b. abt 1855 in son of an american sea captain, d. 1943 in Souris P.E.I. Mary buried: 1943 in East Point Baptist Church cemetery.
iii Margaret "Maggie; Davidson, b. 1857 in Bay Fortune lot 43 P.E.I., buried: 1946 in Bay Fortune U.C. Cemetery.
iv Samuel Foster '"Frank" Davidson, b. 1863 in Bay Fortune lot 43 P.E I., d. pneumonia 1871 in Bay Fortune U.C..cemetery.
5. v John E. Davidson b. 1863.
vi George Renfrew Davidson, b. 1864 in Bay Fortune lot 43 P.E.I., buried: 1948 in Bay Fortune U.C Cemetery.
4. Margaret Davidson, b. 1820 in LOT 43 Bay Fortune P.E.I. She married John Woodcock Cooper, married 11-13-1849 in P.E.I. C anada, b. 11-03-1817 in England, d. 04-06-1906 in Arcata California U.S.A. Margaret died 1858 [cholera] in San Francisco California U.S.A.
i female infant, b. 1850 in San Francisco U.S.A., d. 1850 [cholera] in San Francisco U.S.A.
5. John .E. Davidson, b. 1863 in Bay Fortune lot 43 P.E.I., baptized Sept. 9 1907 in Fortune Bridge. He married Martha Leah Burke, married 09-19-1894, b. 04-04-1864 in Alberry Plains P.E.I., baptized oct 2 1866 in Alexandria Baptist Church, buried: 1932 in Bay Fortune U,C. cemetery. John buried: 1939 in Bay Fortune U.C. Cemetery.
6. i Winnifred Davidson ---Salvation army Captain---- b. 1895.
ii Lloyd Davidson 'Fisherman', b. 1897 in Bay Fortune, baptized Sept 10 1907 in Fortune Bridge. He married Margaret Coffin, b. Abt 1902 in Rollo Bay, d. in Colvile Manor Souris, buried: in Bay Fortune U.C. Cemetery. Lloyd died 1982 in Fortune Bridge.
7. iii Vernon Davidson "Fisherman" b. April 11 1900.
iv Leah Martha Davidson "School Teacher', b. 1904 in Fortune Bridge, baptized Sept 10 1907 in Fortune Bridge. She married Earle Kennedy "Farmer", married 1939, b. in Kings Boro P.E.I., d. in Colville Manor Souris P.E.I., buried: in East Point Bapt. Church cemetery P.E.I. Leah died 1978 in Colville Manor Souris P..E.I., buried: in East Point Baptist Cemetery.
v Milton E.Davidson "School Teacher", b. 1907 in Fortune Bridge P.E.I., baptized Sept 10 1907 in Fortune Bridge, d. Tubercolosis 1930 in Fortune Bridge, buried: in Bay Fortune U.C. Cemetery.
6. Winnifred Davidson ---Salvation army Captain----, b. 1895 in Bay Fortune, baptized Sept 10 1907 in Fortune Bridge. She married Frank Works, married 1923 in N.S., b. in N.S., d. in N.S. Winnifred died tubercolosis 1924 in terred Bay Fortune U.C.cemetery.
i Dorothy Works Kidson Wagner, b. in .Nova Scotia.
7. Vernon Davidson "Fisherman", b. April 11 1900 in Bay Fortune, baptized Sept 10 1907 in Fortune Bridge. He married Lucy Jane Wilt, married Apr 24 1945, b. Nov 1 1923 in Fortune, d. MAY 31 1998 in Colville Manor Souris P.E.I., buried: in Bay Fotune U.C. Cemetery. Vernon died Feb 1971 in Fortune Bridge.
i Hazel Davidson MacLaren, b. in Fortune.