Submitted by Sherri Smith - email@example.com
Especially for my mother and grandmother. There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of Issac Daw and Rebecca Beecham
1. Issac Daw born about 1758 in Cornwall, England, married Rebecca Beecham, born about 1759 Bareneed, Nfld. Issac died Oct 1807 in Bareneed and is buried St. Luke's Church of England Cemetery, Port de Grave, Nfld. Rebecca died after 1805 presumably in Port de grave - from this info I assume Issac came to Nfld around 1776-77 when first son is born, but it is possible he came as young child with his parents.
Assuming all children were baptized in St. Paul’s Church but where not written it is because I have not located such info as fact.
Source: LDS site (film), NFLD Records of baptisms and family stories. Later info as well sourced from Daw’s of NFLD site on myfamily.com
Children of Issac & Rebecca
i. Samuel DAW (AFN:1BKC-579) Christened: 27 Jul 1777, St. Paul’s Church, Harbor Grace NFLD. Samuel died abt 1843
ii. John DAW (AFN:1BKC-58H) Christened 18 Oct 1778 Place: Harborgrace, Port de grave, NFLD.
iii. Issac Daw born abt 1781 Port de Grave, NFLD, died 16 Dec 1833 in Bareneed, NFLD buried Anglican Cemetery, Bareneed, Nfld.
iv. William DAW (AFN:1BKC-59P) Christened: 18 Dec 1785 Place: St. Paul's Church, Harborgrace, Port de grave, NFLD Died: Abt 1862 Port de grave, NFLD
2. v. Jacob DAW (AFN:1BKC-5BW) Born: 10 Dec 1787 Christened: 03 Feb, 1788 Place: St. Paul's Church Harbor grace, Port de grave, NFLD
vi. Rebecca DAW (AFN:1BKC-5C4) Born: Abt 1789 Place: Port de grave, NFLD
vii.Joseph DAW (AFN:1BKC-5DB) Christened 26 Sep 1790 Place: St. Paul's Church, Harborgrace, Port de grave, NFLD
viii. Sarah Daw born abt 1791 Port de Grave, NFLD
viiii. James Daw born abt 1792 Port de Grave, NFLD
x. Thomas Daw born about 1805 Port De Grave, NFLD
It appears that Rebecca died sometime shortly after or around the birth of Thomas and, two years later Issac dies. I imagine the eldest children took care of the other children – but Thomas seems to be born late! Rebecca would be 56 yrs old.....?
2. Jacob Daw (issac) born 1787 married Amy Barlett
Children of Jacob and Amy:
3. i. Solomon Daw, (Jacob, Issac) born abt 1823 resided in Port de Grave,Newfoundland. It is assumed he was born in NFLD.
3. Soloman Dawe (Jacob, Issac) married 1st Elizabeth Jane Morgan resided in Port de Grave, Port de Grave District, NFLD
He married 2nd, Elizabeth Warford - no proof found of a second wife for sure with exception of family info given to my mom via a letter or children with a second wife.
Children of Soloman and Elizabeth Morgan:
4. i. Susan Margaret Daw (Soloman, Jacob, Issac)) born Nov 19, 1880, Sandy Cove, Port de Grave, NFLD.
ii. Louise Daw born 1884 is a possible child of this Soloman and his first wife - her death records are from Forest Haven Memorial Gardens stating she was born in NFLD, no area given, died June 21, 1965 @ age of 81 making her born 1884.
5. iii. Cyril Malcolm Daw (Soloman, Jacob, Issac)) born October 17 1889, Conception Bay, Port de Grave, NFLD
6. iv. Fanny Daw, (Soloman, Jacob, Issac) born ____ also known as Frannie resided in Port de Grave, Port de Grave District, Newfoundland, occupation Post Office.
This family is said to have moved to Conception Bay? It is possible that Fanny is older than Cyril? Fanny is later to have lived in Neils Harbour, NFLD. Source: family stories and letter from Hazel Maria Crocker (daw).
3. Susan Margaret Dawe (Solomon, Jacob, Issac) b. November 19,1880 in Sandy Cove, Port de Grave, NFLD
Resided in Port de Grave, Port de Grave District, NFLD until she was 11 years old. Her mother had died and she moved to Ontario. She died on June 24, 1957 @ age of 77and is buried in the Prospect Cemetary in Toronto. Cause of death is listed as Arterio Heart Disease. Next of kin is listed as Mrs. Margaret Draper,(Daw) daughter living at 44 Elsfield Road, Toronto.
What is interesting is trying to find out how Susan ends up in Ontario at age of 11 – who is she with? – while Fanny, her sister remains in NFLD and Cyril, her brother ends up in Nova Scotia! Perhaps Susan lived with Marks in Ontario and emigrated there with this family before marrying Arthur. But what of Fanny and Cyril?
She married Arthur Morgan Mark on September 12, 1903 in Toronto. Arthur was b. March 1, 1880 Glasgow Scotland and died September 27, 1942 @ the age of 62 in Toronto, ON. Next of kin listed as Mrs. S. Mark (susan), living at 95 Livingston Ave, Toronto, ON. Cause of death listed as Cardio Respiratory failure. Buried with his wife; Section 23, Lot 453, Prospect Cemetery and Crematorium in Toronto. Arthur was a Master Mason in Ontario
Arthur Morgan Mark is the son of Alexander Jessiman Mark, listed as contractor and Mary Morgan married January 25, 1862 in Slains. Alexander was born 1838 Scotland, died April 22, 1904 buried Prospect Cemetary in Toronto. Mary Morgan was born August 28, 1846 in Scotland and died January 16, 1931. Alexandar bought his family to Ontario when Arthur was 2-3 years old around 1892-93. Their last child was the only child born in Canada. Some of Alexanders son's are listed as stone cutters in 1911 Canadian census records.
Arthur is the grandson of James Mark and Janet Ewan on his fathers side and Arthur Morgan, Crofter and Mary Davidson? Or Robb? On his mothers side - this needs investigating further as two sources, two different last names suggested. All born in Scotland.
Children of Susan and Arthur:
i. Janette Mary Elizabeth Mark born January 26, 1906 married Harry Rose, August 20, 1927
ii. Arthur George Mark born November 20, 1907 married Muriel Irene Hamm on July 2, 1927
iii.Susie Margaret Mark born November 16, 1901 married Fredrick Grant Draper on January 18, 1930. Susie went by the name Margaret.
iv. Donald Morgan Mark - called Bop by his grandchildren and great grandchildren and known as Don by his friends was born October 8, 1911 in Toronto He married Christine Lillian Handicott
v. Cyril Malcom Mark born Toronto, Ontario April 27, 1916 remained unmarried
vi. Gordon Mark born Toronto, Ontario May 1, 1918 married Blanche E Comestuia on March 9, 1940. Blance born July 26, 1917.
vii. Lloyd David Mark born Toronto, Ontario September 16 1921 died February 9, 1941 in Toronto @ age of 20 from Pulmonary tuberculosis. Buried in Prospect Cemetery in Toronto, ON(off St. Claire Ave. west) in same lot 453, section 23 as his parents.
Sources include: Common War Dead Avenuly Cemetery in France, Ministry of Defense for Bourne, Middlesex England, Newspaper clipping of death and marriage and death certificates. 1911 Canadian Census, ward 6, Toronto, West, district 128, subdistrict 72
4. Louise Daw (Solmon, Jacob, Issac) born 1884 is a possible child of this Soloman and his first wife - her death records are from Forest Haven Memorial Gardens stating she was born in NFLD, died June 21, 1965 @ age of 81 making her born 1884. Interment on July 24,1965. Plot owner is listed as Elliot MacKay and next of kin is listed as Marguerite MacKay (daughter) of 238 Lingan Rd, Sydney, NS. Grave 1, Lot 64, Section B. No cause of death is listed. Louisa married Elliot MacKay.
5. Cyril Malcolm Daw (Solomon, Jacob, Issac) b. 17 Oct 1889 in Conception Bay, NFLD, Port de Grave District other sources say Hopewell.
Religion: Anglican, moved and later resided on Douglas Ave., Glace Bay, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, later resided in Marion Bridge, Cape Breton Co., Nova Scotia.
Died February 1, 1962 in St.Rita Hospital, Sydney, Nova Scotia, buried in Forest Haven Memorial Gardens, Sydney, Cape Breton. Grave#1, Lot 49, Section A. Owner of the plot was Howard Daw (son) and next of kin is listed a Maude Daw (nee Stevens,wife). Occupation 1905 - 1956 Miner and manager of Dominion Coal Co. Cause of death is not listed on his death certificate. Cyril was in the military 1914 - 1918 Canadian Army. He worked in the mines in Glace Bay and as his last job was Mine Manager of Caledonia Mine, in Glace Bay. He also had a farm in Marion Bridge, Cape Breton. He worked as manager of Dominion Coal Co., worked for the company for 51 years. Has a street named after him in Glace Bay, NS
Source: Death Records from Forest Haven, Glace Bay, interment February 4, 1962
Source: Letter from Hazel Marie (Daw) Crocker (daughter).
He married Devella Maude Stevens called Maude, married in Glace Bay, Cape Breton Co., Nova Scotia. She was born March 13,1887? in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia (daughter of David Stevens and Emma Young) and died May 27,1972 in Sydney, Nova Scotia, buried in Forest Haven Memorial Gardens, Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, resided in Marion Bridge, Cape Breton
Source: Record of death from Forset Haven Memorial Gardens. Myfamily.com - Dawes of NFLD site. Devella was 1st married to Danny Severance (Sevenson, Severin most likely correct name) and had a daughter Evelyn Mary Severance.
Source: Letter from Hazel Marie Crocker (daughter) Religion: Baptist Devalla known as Maude died May 27, 1972 @ age of 83 Interment on May 29, 1972 buried with Cyril, Grave 2,Lot 49, Section A. Cause of death is listed as Natural. Next of kin listed is Evelyn Huntington. Evelyn Severance marries a Huntington.
10 Children were born to Cyril and Devella (Maude)
Source: Dates - Letter from Hazel Marie Dawe (Crocker) and death records from Forest Haven Memorial Gardens.
6. Fanny Daw, born __ (Solomon, Jacob, Issac) resided in Port de Grave, Newfoundland, occupation Post Office.
She married a Mr. Budge.
8 Children born to Fanny and Mr. Budge
Source: In a letter by Hazel Marie Daw (crocker) she states that her father, Cyril Malcom Daw had a half brother and sister, a Ruben Knight and Dorothy Fitzpatrick. If this is correct then we can assume that Solomon did in fact die and that his second wife Elizabeth Warford remarried a man with the last name of Knight. Rueben and Dorothy are the products of another marriage? Making Ruben and Dorothy half brother and sister to all the children born to Solomon and E. Morgan. I assume Dorothy married a Mr. Fitzpatrick.
In the same letter Hazel states that many of these Budge children died young and circles the first 5 children.
7. Susie Margaret Mark (Susan Margaret Daw, Solomon, Jacob, Issac ) born November 16, 1901 married Fredrick Grant Draper on January 18, 1930
8. Janette Mary Elizabeth Mark (Susan Margaret Daw, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) born January 26, 1906 married Harry Rose, August 20, 1927
9. Arthur George Mark (Susan Margaret Daw, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) born November 20, 1907 married Muriel Irene Hamm on July 2, 1927
10. Donald Morgan Mark (Susan Margaret Daw, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) - called Bop by his grandchildren and great grandchildren and known as Don by his friends was born October 8, 1911 in Toronto died November 29, 1987 Toronto ON. Authors grandparents. Cause of death was terminal carcinoma with abdominal carcinomatosis.
Don married Christina Lillian Handicott August 29, 1930. Christina - called Chris by her friends and Nana by her grandchildren and great-grandchildren was born in registration district of Uxbridge, Middlesex, England in the sub-district of Killingdon (13 Nashs Yard) on March 13,1912. She was baptised at home in private (written on bapt card) weighing only 2lbs. They did not think she would survive the night. Her family kept her warm in a basket behind the woodstove. She died in Desable PEI at the home of her youngest daughter on October 2, 2002. Her body interment in the Lakeview Cemetery in Midland, ON along with Donald.
Her parents were Sidney Handicott,WW1 vet in England, born abt 1890 in London died July 5, 1916 in WW1, driver for the 36th Unit of Middlesex Machine Gun Corp and, Lily Eliza Caroline Radbourne born September 22, 1891. When Sidney died Lily married Robert Hamilton Wood in England, 1917 who brought them to Canada. We assume Robert died and Lily was lonely and remarries husband #3 John Funston in Ontario. She is buried with his sister or first wife in Pine Hills Cemetery, Toronto, ON. John is in the same cemetery different area buried with his father, John.
11. Cyril Malcom Mark (Susan Margaret Daw, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) born Toronto, Ontario April 27, 1916 remained unmarried
12. Gordon Mark (Susan Margaret Daw, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) born Toronto, Ontario May 1, 1918 married Blanche E Comestuia on March 9, 1940. Blanche born July 26, 1917. Cyril went by the nickname of Bussie or Buster.
13. Lloyd David Mark (Susan Margaret Dawe, Solomon, Jacob, Issac))born Toronto, Ontario September 16 1921 died February 9, 1941 in Toronto @ age of 20 from Pulmonary tuberculosis. Buried in Prospect Cemetary in Toronto, ON(off St. Claire Ave. west) in same lost 453, section 23 as his parents.
Source: Death and marriage certificates on the Mark/Daw/Handicott Families, Commom War Dead Avenuly Cemetery in France, Ministry of Defense for Bourne, Middlesex, England, Newspaper clippings of deaths, 1911 Canadian Census, Ward 6, Toronto West. Note: Don (Bop), Cyril (Bussie) and Lloyd not born yet, some family pictures.
14. Arthur Daw, (Cyril Malcolm, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) b. 27 Jan 1912, d. 8 Dec 1998, cause of death Cancer. He married Phoebe (nee ?) married.
3 Children born to Arthur and Phoebe
15. Hazel Marie Daw (Cyril, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) b. 21 Jan 1914,d. 24 Jul 2002, in Sydney, Cape Breton Co., Nova Scotia.
She married Graham Crocker. Graham Crocker's brother Cam married Jean Daw.
3 Children born to Hazel and Graham
16. Douglas Haig Dawe, (Cyril, Solomon, Jacob, Issac)
b. 2 Mar 1916, d. 24 Oct 1994, resided in Rollingdam, New Brunswick.
He married Miss (nee ?).
1 Child born to Douglas and ?
17. Jean Daw (Cyril, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) b. 18 Mar 1918, died 27 Jan 2003 in The United States of America – source Daw family site. Exact location of death, unknown. Medical condition: Alzheimers.
She married Cam Crocker, a brother to Graham whom her sister Hazel married)
1 Child born to Jean and Cam
Other sources say Jean married a MacDonald and had a son in Forchu. Perhaps Jean married twice?
18. Lillian Pearl Daw, (Cyril, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) b. 11 Oct 1919, d. 8 Feb 1984, medical condition Heart
She married Mr. Robertson.
1 Child born to Lillian and Mr Robertson
19. Hildred Dawe (Cyril, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) b. 25 Sep 1921,d. 17 Sep 2003,4 medical condition Alzheimers
She married (1) Russell Macintyre, married May 1939, occupation Coal miner.
4 Children born to Hildred and Russell
20. Howard Malcolm Daw, (Cyril, Solomon, Jacob, Issac) also known as Mannie,. 11 May 1923,8 d. July 10, 1963 @ age of 40.Interment in Forest Haven Memorial Gardens, Sydney, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Cause of death listed as Highway accident. Never Married. His mother is listed as Maude and next of kin on death records
21. Beaulah Daw, also known as Belle (Cyril, Soloman, Jacob, Issac) b. 2 Jul 1925,d. 25 Dec 1998 in Southampton, Ontario.
MANN, Beaulah (BELLE) [DAWE]; 74; Southampton ON; Toronto Star; 1998-12-27; Beulan married Ron Mann.
1 Child born to Beaulah and Ron
23. Earl Daw (Cyril, Solomon, Jacob, Issac)) b. 23 Feb 1930