Submitted by Dan MacDonald -
Dan has a number of additional generations of this family to share and please direct Queries to the email link above, or at his Postal address below...
82 Chandler Cresc.,
1. James Gourlie was born in 1824 in Scotland and died in 1905. He was married to Helen Emma Layton in 1842. She was born in 1824 and died in 1871. The Gourlie family moved to PEI from New Brunswick in 1850. James was the first general merchant to establish a business at Green's Shore, now Summerside. For some years, he was the manager of the Dominion Savings Bank. He ended his career as Town Clerk of Summerside.
Children of James Gourlie and Helen Emma Layton were:
+2 i. Annie Hester Gourlie .
+3 ii. J Alfred Gourlie .
+4 iii. Isabelle Gourlie .
5 iv. James Gourlie died on 18 Oct 1868. Drowned.
6 v. Edith Layton Gourlie died in 1867.
+7 vi. Jane Calinda Gourlie .
8 vii. William Perry Gourlie was born in 1859. He died on 4 Mar 1865.
+9 viii. Jessie Winnifred Gourlie .
10 ix. Gregory Layton Gourlie was born about Sep 1864. He died on 22 Dec 1864.
2. Annie Hester Gourlie was born in 1843 in Richibucto, New Brunswick. She died suddenly on 26 Sep 1884 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island.
She was married to David Rogers on 20 Mar 1861. He was born on 15 Nov 1829 in Llanstephan, Wales, and died on 22 Oct 1909. In 1857, David and J.C. Pope (who later served as premier of PEI and as a minister in the federal government) established a commercial business in Cascumpec, now called Alberton. He sold his interest in the business to his brother Benjamin three years later. He then established a business in Summerside in 1866 that was the centre of the largest mercantile business in Prince County for many years. It was destroyed by fire in 1916.
David was the first mayor of Summerside following its incorporation in 1877. He served as mayor for six years. He was elected to the provincial legislature in 1890 and served a four-year term. He was an active Mason and president of the Literary Society. In 1977, the Summerside Centennial Committee presented, posthumously, a citation expressing appreciation for his contributions to the life and development of the town.
David married a second time to Rosina Gertrude Brine , daughter of Rev. R.T. Brine, who officiated at the ceremony. They were married 17 June 1886 at Antigonish, NS. Rosina died in 1931. They had no children.
Children of Annie Hester Gourlie and David Rogers were :
+11 i. Arthur Copely Rogers .
+12 ii. Helen St. Luke Rogers .
13 iii. Hester Jane Rogers was born in Apr 1865. She died on 14 Sep 1865.
+14 iv. William Perry Rogers .
15 v. Edith Rogers was born in Mar 1868 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. She died on 19 Sep 1868 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island.
+16 vi. Caroline Layton Rogers .
17 vii. Nettie Rogers was born on 12 May 1872. She died on 26 Sep 1872.
+18 viii. Winnifred Rogers .
19 ix. David Llewellyn Rogers was born in Oct 1881. He died on 23 Dec 1881.
3. J. Alfred Gourlie was born in 1845 and died on 11 Sep 1903. He was married to Elizabeth J. Stewart . She was born in 1851 and died in 1875.
Children of J. Alfred Gourlie and Elizabeth J. Stewart were:
+20 i. Helen Emma Gourlie .
+21 ii. Bessie Gourlie .
He was married to Adelaide Graves in 1879.
Children of J. Alfred Gourlie and Adelaide Graves were:
+22 i. Alfred W. P. Gourlie .
+23 ii. Frances Gourlie .
24 iii. Arthur Gourlie .
25 iv. Eva Gourlie .
26 v. Ruth Gourlie .
4. Isabelle Gourlie died after 1910. She was living in Chicago in 1910. She was married to ? Outerbridge . Isabelle Gourlie and ? Outerbridge had no known children.
7. Jane Calinda Gourlie was born in 1848 and died in 1906. She was married to Singleton Arthur Muncey on 16 Sep 1868. He was born on 12 Mar 1839 and died on 9 Mar 1881.
Children of Jane Calinda Gourlie and Singleton Arthur Muncey were:
+27 i. Emma Madden Muncey .
+28 ii. John Francis Muncey .
9. Jessie Winnifred Gourlie was born on 18 Apr 1861 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. She died in Feb 1915 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island and was buried on 1 Mar 1915 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. She was married to Robert Hogg on 20 Feb 1879. He was born in 1841 in Dumfries, Scotland, and died on 17 Mar 1910. She did marry a second time, after the death of Robert. However, the name of her second husband is not known.
Children of Jessie Winnifred Gourlie and Robert Hogg were:
29 i. James Hogg was born on 30 May 1880. He died on 7 Jun 1880.
30 ii. Lutie Isabelle Hogg was born in May 1881. She died in Feb 1882.
31 iii. Helen Winnifred Hogg was born on 25 Jul 1882. She died on 17 Oct 1882.
+32 iv. Robert Wendell Hogg .
+33 v. William Gregory Hogg .
34 vi. Bruce Hilton Hogg was born on 27 Nov 1887. He died on 13 Oct 1888.
35 vii. Nora Muriel Hogg was born on 10 Dec 1889. She died on 25 Aug 1890.
+36 viii. George Russell Hogg .
11. Arthur Copely Rogers was born on 12 Feb 1862 and died on 29 Sep 1930 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Arthur was a merchant and a member of the firm Rogers, Green and Montgomery. Later, after this partnership was dissolved, he joined with J. Frank Arnett to form Rogers and Arnett, Wholesale Grocers, which still exists. He was also active in raising silver foxes. Arthur was elected Mayor of Summerside in 1898. In 1977, he was posthumously awarded a plaque by the Summerside Centennial Committee as an appreciation of his contribution to the life and development of the town.
He was married to Ella Ann Green on 3 Sep 1884 in New London, Prince Edward Island. She was born on 1 Sep 1865 and died on 15 Sep 1951 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Ella was a great-granddaughter of Daniel Green (1757-1825), a Quaker and United Empire Loyalist. Daniel was one of the first British settlers in what is now Summerside. Arthur and Ella's tombstone is in the Anglican Church Cemetery in St. Eleanor's, PEI.
Children of Arthur Copely Rogers and Ella Ann Green were:
+37 i. Annie Hester Rogers .
+38 ii. Arthur Layton Rogers .
+39 iii. Llewellyn Rogers .
+40 iv. John Lea Rogers .
41 v. William Gerald Rogers was born on 22 Jul 1902. He died on 21 May 1903.
12. Helen St. Luke Rogers was born on 9 Jul 1863 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island and died on 7 May 1937 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was called Leuty. She was married to Daniel McDonald on 19 Mar 1883 in Rosehill, Prince Edward Island. He was born on 17 Aug 1858 and died on 29 Oct 1936 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Daniel established a law practice in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. He had a successful career, becoming Chief Justice of the Manitoba Court of King's Bench.
Children of Helen St. Luke Rogers and Daniel McDonald were:
+42 i. Annie Hester McDonald .
+43 ii. Helen Winnifred McDonald .
+44 iii. Katherine McDonald .
+45 iv. Geoffrey Ernest McDonald.
14. William Perry Rogers was born on 28 Jun 1866 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island.
He was married to Cora Rubacella Holland on 11 Sep 1894 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. She was born on 25 Sep 1872. Cora was descended from Captain Samuel Holland, who did the great survey of Prince Edward Island in the 1760's. William Perry Rogers and Cora Rubacella Holland had three children, names unknown.
16. Caroline Layton Rogers was born on 11 Sep 1870 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island and died on 1 Feb 1954 in Ottawa, Ontario. She was married to Charles Heath in Mar 1891 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. Charles was born on 4 Jul 1868 in Wairoa, Kaipura, New Zealand and died on 30 Sep 1946 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Charles was the son of Charles Heath, merchant of Taranaka, New Zealand, and his wife Elizabeth "Tuhiwai", a Maori princess.
Children of Caroline Layton Rogers and Charles Heath were:
+49 i. Gwendolyn Layton Heath .
50 ii. Clendon Charles Heath was born in 1893 in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. He died in 1916 in France.
+51 iii. Audrey Edith Heath .
18. Winnifred Rogers was born on 19 Jun 1876 and died on 15 Feb 1955. She was married to Joseph Giles . They had six children, names unknown.
20. Helen Emma Gourlie . She was married to Arthur W. McKinley . They had no known children.
21. Bessie Gourlie . She was married to Harry Hayes . They had no known children.
22. Alfred W. P. Gourlie was born on 5 Mar 1880 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. He was married to Olive Mary Sanders on 18 Nov 1903.
Children of Alfred W. P. Gourlie and Olive Mary Sanders were:
58 i. Alfred Walter Gourlie .
23. Frances Gourlie married C. N. Beal . They had no known children.
27. Emma Madden Muncey was born in 1870 and died in 1933. She was married to William John F. Hunt . He was born in 1867 and died in 1951. They had no children.
28. John Francis Muncey was born in 1874 and died in 1948. He was married to Effie Minerva Premo in 1896. Children of John Francis Muncey and Effie Minerva Premo were:
59 i. Ruby Nellie Muncey .
60 ii. Pearl Nora Muncey .
32. Robert Wendell Hogg was born on 22 Aug 1883 and died on 11 Jun 1924. He was married to Anne Louisa Fales . She died between 1914 and 1918.
Children of Robert Wendell Hogg and Anne Louisa Fales were:
61 i. Gwyneth W. Hogg was born on 28 Dec 1908. She died on 30 Dec 1911.
+62 ii. Frederick John Hogg.
Robert married a second time. Name of spouse is unknown and there were no children from the second marriage.
33. William Gregory Hogg was born on 27 Sep 1886 and died on 16 Aug 1959. He was married to Lottie Pearl Ritchie on 6 Jun 1908. She was born on 10 Dec 1888 and died on 19 Sep 1964. They had two children, one of whom is still living.
36. George Russell Hogg was born on 15 Dec 1894 and died in 1960. He was married to Jeanne Gauthier , born in 1892. They had five children.
37. Annie Hester Rogers was born on 22 Nov 1886 and died on 19 Oct 1970. She was married to James W. Cushing on 30 Oct 1907 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. He was born in Summerside, Prince Edward Island and died on 17 Jan 1967 in Daytona Beach, Florida. They had one child.
38. Arthur Layton Rogers was born on 11 Apr 1890 in St. Eleanors, Prince Edward Island and died on 2 May 1970 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. He was married to Catherine Morrison on 8 Mar 1908. She was born on 22 May 1889 in Great Works (Old Town), Maine, USA and died on 4 Aug 1957 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island. They had four children.
39. Llewellyn Rogers was born on 21 Nov 1892 and died on 25 May 1962. He was married to Audrey Maude Graves in 1915. She was born on 30 Nov 1892 in Summerside, Prince Edward Island and died before 1997. They had seven children.
40. John Lea Rogers was born on 5 Dec 1896 and died on 15 May 1970. He was married to Bessie Stokes about 1918. Bessie Stokes was born on 17 Nov 1896 in England. They had one child.
He was married to Hester Louise Thompson on 10 Jan 1926 in Michigan They had three children.
42. Annie Hester McDonald was married to William C. Russell . They had three children.
43. Helen Winnifred McDonald was born on 19 Jun 1888 in Winnipeg, Manitoba and died on 15 Feb 1955 in Florida. She was married to John A. Rogers . They had no known children.
44. Katherine McDonald was born on 22 Jul 1890 in Winnipeg, Manitoba and died on 17 Sep 1973. She was married to Vivian Arthur McMeans . He was born on 2 Jul 1885 and died on 4 Aug 1967. They had one child.
45. Geoffrey Ernest Maconald was married to Kathleen Persse. They had three children.
49. Gwendolyn Layton Heath was born on 12 Dec 1891 in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba and died on 29 Jun 1980 in Toronto, Ontario. She was married to Francis Henry Reid in 1914. He died in 1924. They had three children. She was married to George Hay in 1946. They had no known children.
51. Audrey Edith Heath was born in 1895 in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba and died in 1968. She was married to Sidney Osborne Scott before 1921. He was born in 1883 and died in 1958. They had three children.
62. Frederick John Hogg was born on 8 Aug 1915 and died on 5 Aug 1980. He was married to Margaret Louise Winsloe on 20 Dec 1939. They had two children.