Submitted by Bill Phinney -
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of Peter MacFadyen and Barbara Blue From West River, Lot 65, P.E.I.
- Peter MacFadyen was born about 1824 in Prince Edward Island, Canada. He married Barbara Blueon the 14th March 1850 in Saint James Kirk, Charlottetown. Barbara was the 2nddaughter of 11 children of Donald Blue (1794-1859)and Sophia Grace MacMillan(1803-1878) of West River, PEI. She was born 1821 and died 19th of May 1894 in West River, Lot 65. Her mother Sophia along with her parents Malcolm MacMillan and GraceMacNeill and eight siblings emigrated to PEI from the Isle of Colonsay, Scotland aboard Lord Selkirk’s ship the Spencer in 1806. Sophia along with several of her children is buried in Pioneer Shaw Cemetery. "Peter died at West River, Lot 65 on the 5th October 1874 after a long and painful illness of 14 years which be bore with Christian resignation to the divine will. Peter MacFadyen in the 50th year of age leaving his wife and 4 of family to mourn their loss. – Island Argus 17th November 1874 page 3."
Children of Peter MacFadyen and Barbara Blue are:
Donald Blue MacFadyen born about 1851 in West River, Lot 65.
Euphemia "Effie" Blue MacFadyen born 1857 in West River, Lot 65 and died 12th December 1889 and is buried in Canoe Cove Cemetery
Sarah Blue MacFadyen born 1858 in West River, Lot 65 and died 17 December 1889 in Quincy, MA
Neil Blue MacFadyen born 29 March 1862 in West River, Lot 65 and died about 1937 in Quincy MA
- Donald Blue MacFadyen was born about 1851 in West River, Lot 65. He married Sarah MacEachern 28 November 1877 at the residence of Hector MacFadyen, West River by Rev. John Goodwill. She was the 3rd daughter of Colin MacEachern and Ann MacDougall. Sarah was born 1858 and died young on 10 Feb 1887 at the age of 29.It is believed Donald died around the same time. Their children lived with their grandmother Barbara Blue MacFadyen in the 1891 census and Donald was listed as deceased in his mother’s estate.
Children of Donald Blue MacFadyen and Sarah MacEachern are:
Margaret Kate MacFadyen born 17 October 1878 in West River, Lot 65. She married Angus MacKenzie 15 January 1896 in Quincy MA.
Annie Sophia MacFadyen born 1880 in West River, Lot 65, died 26 March 1898, AE 18 buried in Canoe Cove Cemetery
Barbara MacFadyenwas born 1881 in West River, Lot 65. She married Ernest Inman 15 March 1901 in Quincy, MA.
- Effie Blue MacFadyenwas born 1857 in West River, Lot 65 and died 17 December 1889 AE 32 buried in Canoe Cove Cemetery. Effie married DougaldMacPhail 21 December 1877. He was the son of Donald MacPhail and Ellen McNevin. Dougald was born 7 October 1862 and died 1919 buried in Canoe Cove Cemetery
Children of Effie Blue MacFadyen and DougaldMacPhail are:
Laura Phoebe MacPhailborn 20 Nov 1867 in West River, Lot 65 and died 1908 in Londonderry NH. She married John Thomas Inman (his 3rd Marriage) 9 March 1903 in Lawrence MA.
Peter Archibald MacPhail born 1880 in West River, Lot 65.
Colin Alexander MacPhail born 18 March 1885 in West River, Lot 65. He married Ena McKinnon 3 June 1908 in Quincy, MA.
Euphemia "Effie" MacPhail born 1889 in West River, Lot 65 and died 1890 buried in Canoe Cove Cemetery
- Sarah Blue MacFadyenwas born 3 December 1858 in West River, Lot 65 and died at the age of 31 on 17 December 1889 at home of consumption in Quincy MA. She married Henry R. Phinney 29 January 1885 in Quincy MA. Henry a carpenter was the son of James Phinney and Phoebe Dodge born 1848 in Middleton, Nova Scotia and died 17 February 1922 in Worcester MA.
Children of Sarah Blue MacFadyen and Henry R. Phinney are:
Henry R. Phinney Jr. born 28 January 1885 in Quincy, MA
Warren Lee Phinney born 29 September 1888 in Quincy, MA and died 4 October 1944 in Quincy, MA. Warren married Florence Jane MacLeod26 February 1913 in Cambridge, MA. Florence was the daughter of Murdock MacLeod and EuphemiaMacInnis of Bonshaw PEI.
Notes: After their mother Sarah died Henry Jr age 6 and Warren age 2 returned to PEI to live with their maternal grandmother (widowed) Barbara Blue MacFadyen in 1891. Barbara died shortly thereafter in 1894.
Henry Jr. went to live with Allan and Mary MacDonald of Canoe Cove. Allan was the son of Donald MacDonald and Mary Blue (Barbara’s older sister). It is believed that Henry Jr died as a teenager.
Warren age 6 went to live with the MacNeill family of Clyde River Lot 31 directly across the West River from the MacFadyen farm. Warren was raised by Alexander MacNeill (1864-1942) and Emma MacCallum (1865-1904). Alexander MacNeill was the son of Donald MacNeill (1814-1881) and Christy Darrach (1835-1922). Christy was the daughter of John Darrach (1802-1878) and Catherine MacFadyen (1811-1884).
- Neil Blue MacFadyen was born 29 March 1862 in West River, Lot 65 and died about 1937 in Quincy MA. He married Flora Ann Bruce 3 September 1890 in Quincy MA. Flora born 1859 was the daughter of John Bruce and Mary Ross. They had no children.
Related Research Notes:
A John MacFadyenandhis brother Alexander emigrated to PEI from Mull, Scotland around 1808 and settled along the West River PEI. Many of the MacFadyen families settled along the West River are most likely descendants of these two men.
Other MacFadyen’s along the West River Lot 65 from the 1880 Census that quite possibly in someway related to Peter MacFadyen (1824-1874) and to each other but requires further research.
- Hector MacFadyen (1810-1910) son of John,married Mary MacAulay (1817-1892). Buried Pioneer Shaw Cemetery
- Neil MacFadyen (1814-1858) married Catherine MacLean (1835- )
- John D. MacFadyen (1820-1905) married 1st Janet "Jessie" MacKinnon (1832-1866),2nd Sarah Blue (1825-1885). Buried Pioneer Shaw Cemetery
- Flora MacFadyen (abt 1800- )
- Peter MacFadyen (1822- ) married Catherine MacEachern (1822- )
- Donald MacFadyen (1800 - ) living with son Neil D. MacFadyen (1833- ) married Catherine Lamont (1836-1911)
- John H. MacFadyen (1847-1925) married Annie MacNevin (1847-1935) buried in Canoe Cove cemetery
- Donald MacFadyen (1829-1914) married 1st Flora Livingston (1836-1871) and 2nd Christy MacArthur (1850- ) buried in Pioneer Shaw Cemetery
- Alexander "Pony" MacFadyen (1843- ) married Flora MacNeil (1844- )