Submitted by John Collins - firstname.lastname@example.org
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Mc/ MacPhails of Clyde River, P.E.I.
This family tree, "MacPHAILS of Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI" tree, begins with one of the earliest known McPHAIL family members. In the early generations two of the daughters marry and their descendants are show in the subsets "LIVINGSTONS of Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI" and the "MURRAYS of Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI".
There is another MacPHAIL family tree "MacPHAILS of Argyle Shore, Lot 30, PEI" and its subsets "CAMPBELL of DeSable, Lot 29, PEI" and "FERGUSONS of Hampton, Lot 29, PEI". These two McPHAIL/MacPHAIL families appear to be closely related, having originated in the same small (under 100 people) community in northern Mull. They came to PEI in 1810 under the immigration policy of Lord Selkirk.
Connections to these other parts of the overall MacPHAIL family at Clyde River and elsewhere on the Island will be noted as they occur. The reader may be directed to check them out to follow the family lines.
Please Note: The spelling of names beginning with Mc or Mac used in this tree is based on the spelling used by the individual at the end of his or her life. None of the family who died before 1910 seem to have used the MacPHAIL spelling. All used McPHAIL. My own great-grandmother McPHAIL, a widow, insisted to her dying day in 1924, that her name was McPHAIL and that she was not changing the spelling to that used by her children!
Comments, additions and revisions to this tree are most welcome. Please send to
John M. Collins
#807 - 1285 Sandy Lane
Sarnia, Ont. N7V 4J7
email: John M. Collins - email@example.com
The Mc/MacPhails of Clyde River, P.E.I.
1. Duncan McPHAIL Of Achdashenaig. Born in 1716/1717 in Killiemor, Mull, Argyll, Scot. Duncan died in Living 1779 Aros, Mull, Argyll, Scot. Religion: Church Of Scotland. User ID: MP2.
In the text that follows, this family will bear the identification code MP2 which is the code of Duncan McPhail, the oldest known McPhail in this family. He is thought to have been a brother or perhaps a cousin to the unknown progenitor of the other McPhail line discussed a few pages back. The persons listed below can only be said to have been in the "right place at the right time". The relationships have not been proven. Duncan's descendants seem to be:
MP2 Duncan McPhail, born 1716/17. He was a widower living with his oldest son Colin at Aros in 1779. Aros is where Glen Aros meets the Sound of Mull. Arle, where the other known son Malcolm lived, is 4 km northwestward towards Tobermory from Aros.
MP21 Colin McPhail born 1743/44 married ca 1768 Christina Campbell born ca 1748. They lived at Achdashenaig until about 1772/73 when they moved to Aros where they appeared in the 1779 census. There is no indication that they came to PEI.
MP211 Margaret McPhail, bapt. 6 May 1769. Parents living at Achdashenaig. Living 1779 at Aros.
MP212 Hugh McPhail, born 1771/72. Living 1779 at Aros.
MP213 Ann McPhail, bapt. 31 May 1772. Parents living at Oskamull. Living 1779 at Aros.
MP214 Donald McPhail, bapt. 26 Mar 1774. Parents living at Aros. To PEI in 1808.
Married Flora Livingston in PEI.
MP215 Robert McPhail, To PEI in 1808 or 1810. Mentioned with Donald when selling property in 1825.
MP216 Dugald McPhail, bapt. 8 Aug 1784. Parents living at Aros. To PEI in 1810.
Married Isabella McNevin in PEI.
MP217 Colin McPhail, bapt. 3 Sept 1786 (twin). Parents living at Aros. To PEI in 1810. Married Bell Curry in PEI.
MP218 Duncan McPhail, bapt. 3 Sept 1786 (twin). Parents living at Aros. married 1814 Torosay, Anne McArthur.
To PEI before 1822.
Abt 1742 Duncan married _______ who died bef 1779. Religion: Church Of Scotland.
They had the following children:
2 i. Colin (1743-1786)
3 ii. Malcolm (~1749-1796)
4 iii. Catherine (~1752-1793)
2. Colin McPHAIL Of Aros, Mull (Duncan1). Born in 1743/1744 in Achdashenaig, Mull, Argyll, Scot. Colin died aft 1786. Occupation: Servant-Man At Aros In 1779. Religion: Church Of Scotland. User ID: MP21.
Also in the Old Parish Registers are entries for:
Colin McPhail born about 1748 and Christian Campbell born about 1753 married about 1773.
- Margaret McPhail bapt. 6 May 1769 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Achadasheanag (Achdashenaig?)].
- Hugh McPhail born 1771/72. [1779 Census]
- Ann McPhail bapt. 31 May 1772 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Ostramul (Oskamull?)].
- Donald McPhail bapt. 26 Mar 1774 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Aross].
- Robert McPhail [appears only in one PEI record]
- Dugal McPhail bapt. 8 Aug 1784 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Aross].
- Colin McPhail [twin] bapt. 3 Sept 1786 by Rev. Donald McLean twin, [parents living at Aross].
- Duncan McPhail [twin] bapt. 3 Sept 1786 by Rev. Donald McLean, [parents living at Aross].
Aross, correctly Aros, is on the north coast just west of Salen. It is at the mouth of Glen Aros and is the junction point of roads up the Glen to Ledmore, Teang and Lettermore with the coast road from Tobermory to Salen. As such it is the centre point of the largest concentration of McPhails on Mull in 1779.
There is confusion with the OPR records of the family above. Margaret and Ann are shown with the named parents. Donald and Dugald are some times shown as children of John & Christian McPhails, and Colin and Duncan are sons of Colin and Christian McPhails. Within the usage of the OPR, the plural form of the family name frequently indicated that the mother's maiden name was the same as the father's surname, but not in this case. The reading of John for Colin is due to the use of a running script with lots of loops and lines, characteristic of "good" penmanship in those days. All the indicated sons fit quite well into known information with Dugald and Colin settling next to each other. Robert, was mentioned in the PEI records with Donald and is assigned a spot between Donald and Dugald.
The Duncan in this family is thought to be the Duncan McPhail who was married 31 Jan 1814 in Torosay Parish to Anne McArthur born about 1794. Their names appear in the St. Paul's Anglican Church register in Charlottetown for baptism of their son John in 1822. They seem to have come to PEI between 1814 and 1822. Other Duncan McPhails in the Old Parish Registers are as follows:
Donald McPhail born about 1759 and Mary McDonald born about 1764 married about 1784.
- Duncan McPhail b. 1 July 1785?,
bapt. 18 Sept 1785 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Ledmore].
- Malcolm McPhail bapt. 27 May 1787 by Rev. Donald McLean [parents living at Ledmore].
This Duncan is plausible. Ledmore is beside Teang in Glen Aros.
Alexander McPhail of Oskamull born about 1749 & Ann McLeod born about 1754
married 7 Feb. 1774 by Rev. Archibald McArthur
- Flora McPhail bapt. 25 Jan 1778 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Acharonich].
- Mary McPhail bapt. 1 Apr 1780 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Acharonich ].
- Malcolm McPhail bapt. 13 Mar 1782 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Acharonich].
- Duncan McPhail bapt. 7 Dec. 1794 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Acharonich].
Oskamull is on the southwest coast of Kilninian and Kilmore parish, across from the island of Ulva. Acharonich is east of Oskamull. This Duncan would be barely 19 years old at the Jan 1814 marriage and is considered to be too young.
The identity of Donald McPhail who married Flora Livingston, is less certain. He is thought to be of the family of Colin McPhail and Christian Campbell because of his connection to the Livingstons and his proximity on PEI to Dugald and Colin. Another candidate from the Registers follows. All others were too young to make the 1808 trip on their own and get married the next year.
Donald McPhail born about 1743 & Kathrine Campbell born about 1747 married about 1867.
- Euphemia (Effie) McPhail bapt. 17 July 1768 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Ferimninardary].
- Susanna McPhail bapt. 12 Aug 1770 at Torlaisk by Rev. Archibald McArthur [smith in Ulva].
- Donald McPhail bapt. 10 July 1774 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Kilmolnay]. *
- Ann McPhail bapt. 25 May 1776 by Rev. Archibald McArthur [parents living at Treisinish (Treshnish)].
All locations are on the west coast of Kilninian and Kilmore parish, rather remote from the Tobermory - Aros road. Donald would be 35 when he married Flora Livingston and living in Treshnish, he would have had to go to Tobermory to see her. There are no other connections with this family.
- Abt 1768 Colin married Christian CAMPBELL, daughter of Dugald CAMPBELL (1726/1727-). Born abt 1748 Likely in Achdashenaig, Mull, Argyll, Scot. Christian died aft 1786. Religion: Church Of Scotland.
They had the following children:
5 i. Margaret (1769-)
6 ii. Hugh (1771-)
7 iii. Ann (1772-)
8 iv. Donald (1774-<1841)
9 v. Robert (1780-1825)
10 vi. Dugald (1784-1863)
11 vii. Colin (Twin) (1786-1866)
12 viii. Duncan (Twin) (1786-1822)
3. Malcolm McPHAIL Of Arle/Ardmore (Duncan1). Born abt 1749 in Achdashenaig, Mull, Argyll, Scot. Malcolm died in Scotland aft 1796. User ID: MP22.
- Appears that Malcolm & Mary having married in Morven, remained there until after the 1779 Census as they do not appear in it in northern Mull. However they were at Baliscate for the baptism of their daughter Ann on 20 Mar 1780. By 1784 baptism of daughter they were at nearby Ardmore.
- No indication that he and his wife came to PEI.
- On 4 Jan 1774 Malcolm married Mary McPHERSON, in Morven, Argyll, Scot. Born abt 1754.
They had the following children:
13 i. Ann (1779-1808)
ii. Flora. Born in 1780 Likely in Baliscate, K& K Parish, Mull, Argyll, Scot. and died in Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI, on 26 Dec 1865. Occupation: Housewife. Religion: Ch. Of Scot. Baptist. User ID: MP222.
- She is in this McPhail family based on her close association with putitive sister Mary McPhail MURRAY and brother Archibald McPHAIL. Her baptism has not been found.
- On 26 Apr 1803 Flora married Donald LIVINGSTON, son of Donald LIVINGSTON (1750/1751-Jun 1840) & Mary ______ (1755/1756-), in Kilninian & Kilmore Parish, Mull, Scot. Born in 1780/1781 in Morvern, Scot. Donald died in Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI, in 1865/1881. Occupation: Farmer. Religion: Ch. Of Scot. Baptist. User ID: LV13.
- Emigrated to PEI on brig Rambler as a married man with his parents and siblings as a family unit, arriving Charlotte Town 20 June 1806. Settled first with family at Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65 and soon moved to Dog (Clyde) River beside Flora's McPhail relations.
- Family seems to have been Ch. of Scot. at time of migration for several children were infant baptised at St. Pauls in Charlotte Town. Parents of both Donald & Flora were Ch. of Scot. They became Baptists sometime prior to 1841, possibly because the Clyde River Baptist church was built nearby.
- In 1841 Census, his household has 1 male & 1 fem b.bef 1781 Scot.; 1 fem & 3 males b. 1796/1825 PEI; 2 males 1825/41 PEI. He is a farmer and all are Baptist. Has a 100ac farm of 1st quality and 40 ac. are under cultivation. In past year farm produced 60 bu wheat, 150 bu oats; 30 bu barley and 1000 bu potatoes. They have 3 horses, 18 cattle, 20 sheep & 9 hogs.
- 1848 Census, his household has 1 male & 1 fem b.bef 1788 Scot.; 1 fem b.1803/32 PEI; 2 males b.1832/48 PEI; All are Baptist, Farming.
See entry from Donald LIVINGSTON in "LIVINGSTONS of Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI" tree for details on his parents and their descendants.
14 iii. Archibald (~1782-1865)
iv. Mary. Born in 1784 in Ardmore, K&K Parish, Mull and baptized in Baliscate, K& K Parish, Mull, Argyll, Scot., on 5 Jul 1784. Mary died in Clyde River, PEI, on 20 Feb 1871. Buried in Pioneer Baptist Cem, Clyde River. Occupation: Housewife. Religion: Church Of Scotland Baptist. User ID: MP224.
- Abt 1807 Mary married John MURRAY, son of ??? MURRAY (abt 1745-), in Scot. Born in 1777/1778 in Scotland. John died in Clyde River, PEI, on 15 Mar 1864. Buried in Pioneer Baptist Cem, Clyde River. Occupation: Farmer On West Dog River Road, Lot 31, PEI. Religion: Baptist.
- John came to the Dog River, Lot 31, PEI in 1808 with wife Mary McPHAIL and possibly their first child Angus. He may have been joining an Archibald Murray who appeared with 100 ac. at Dog River, Lot 31 having arrived in 1806. [The Selkirk Settlers of PEI and their land holdings, 1803-07 as compiled by Lord Selkirk's agent, James Williams.]
- Appears on 1863 Lake Map as J. Murray on West River Rd at Dog River in Lot 31.
- Will dated 4 May 1861 and proved 11 Apr 1871 [Lib 8, Fol 287]
See entry for John MURRAY in "MURRAYS of Clyde River, Lot 31, PEI" tree for details on his descendants.
15 v. Isabella (~1788-1861)
16 vi. Angus (1791-1862)
17 vii. Donald (1792-1863)
18 viii. Colin (1794-1855)
19 ix. Duncan (1795-1877)
20 x. Theodore (~1795-1822)
21 xi. Catherine (~1796-1860)
4. Catherine McPHAIL (Duncan1). Born abt 1752 in Likely Achdashenaig, Mull, Argyll, Scot. and died aft 1793. Religion: Church Of Scotland. User ID: MP23.
Abt 1774 Catherine married John McLACHLAN. Born in 1741/1742. John died aft 1793. Occupation: Workman At Aros In 1779. Religion: Church Of Scotland.
- Donald Livingston, age 17 was his serving man in 1779 Mull Census.
- McLachlan was following entry to Catherine's father in 1779 Census.
They had the following children:
Please see the continuation of this file. This may be downloaded in Zipped RTF format: Download.
22 i. Dugald (1775-1779)
23 ii. Mary (1776-1779)
24 iii. Dau______ (~1779-)
25 iv. Dau_______ (1784-)
26 v. Duncan (1789-)
27 vi. Archibald (1792-)