Submitted by Elaine Howes - firstname.lastname@example.org
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of Anthony McCaull
Generation No. 1
1. ANTHONY MCCAULL
Anthony came from Scotland to North Bedeque in the fall of 1846. His wife and the rest of the family came in 1847.
Child of ANTHONY MCCAULL is:
2. i. HENRY MACCAULL, b. 1828, Scotland; d. 05 Dec 1905, PE.
Generation No. 2
2. HENRY MACCAULL (ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born 1828 in Scotland, and died 05 Dec 1905 in PE. He married DALVINA MILLAR 05 Jan 1852 in North Bedeque, PE, daughter of ALEXANDER MILLAR and JANET ABERCROMBIE/CROMBIE. She was born 18 Apr 1834 in Burntisland, Fifeshire, Scotland, and died 02 Dec 1912 in PE.
Children of HENRY MACCAULL and DALVINA MILLAR are:
3. i. ANTHONY(AA) ALEXANDER MACCAULL, b. 13 Dec 1853, PE; d. 19 Sep 1926, PE.
ii. JANET(JENNIE) MACCAULL, b. 1856, PE; d. 1890; m. THOMAS SMALLMAN; b. 23 Feb 1855, Lot 11, PE; d. 1921.
4. iii. ISABELLE MACCAULL, b. 20 Nov 1858, PE; d. 14 Nov 1932.
iv. ANNIE MACCAULL, b. Abt. 1860, PE; d. 11 May 1881, PE.
5. v. J HENRY MACCAULL, b. 23 Jul 1862, PE; d. 26 Sep 1929.
vi. DELVINA BELLE MACCAULL, b. Abt. 1864, PE; d. 03 Jan 1888, PE.
6. vii. SARAH MACCAULL, b. 25 Aug 1866, PE; d. Jun 1958.
7. viii. JOHN MACCAULL, b. 05 Dec 1867, PE; d. 03 Oct 1924, PE.
ix. PETER MACCAULL, b. 27 Jan 1870, PE.
Peter moved to the US around 1922. He married but had no children.
8. x. ARTEMAS(ART) GEORGE MACCAULL, b. Jan 1872, PE; d. 1951.
9. xi. JESSIE MACCAULL, b. 24 Oct 1874, PE; d. 1949, California.
Generation No. 3
3. ANTHONY(AA) ALEXANDER MACCAULL (HENRY, ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born 13 Dec 1853 in PE, and died 19 Sep 1926 in PE. He married MARY MURDINA REEVES 08 May 1877, daughter of THOMAS REEVES and SARAH STRANG. She was born 07 Apr 1857 in Freetown, PE, and died 09 Jan 1950 in Ellerslie, PE.
A.A. MacCaull moved from North Bedeque to Ellerslie in 1875. He operated a lobster factory and worked in the Peter Millar sawmill. In 1877 he bought the mill property from his Uncle Peter. In 1890, A.A. purchased a building in Ellerslie said to have once been a church and opened a store. He later became Station Agent in addition to keeping the store.
The store burnt down in 1901. He rebuilt on the same location and then sold it in 1909. He continued to operate it, however, for two years by renting from the new owner. In 1911, he built a new store on the other side of the railroad opposite the Ellerslie Station. His steam saw mill was a short distance behind it. The original store built on the east side of the tracks was used as a cannery for awhile and then converted to be used as cold storage by the Ellerslie Cold Storage Company. In 1957, when there was no longer need for cold storage, the building was torn down.
The second store, built in 1911 was also destroyed by fire in September of 1928.
About 1911, in the space between the back of his store and his steam saw mill, A.A. built an outdoor rink, possibly the first in the community. Skates at that time were blades that were strapped onto whatever footwear was being worn.
(Ref: " Burntisland to Bideford" by Bev & Wyman Millar, published 2004)
Children of ANTHONY(AA) MACCAULL and MARY REEVES are:
i. DELVINA JANE MACCAULL, b. 04 Nov 1878; d. 05 Nov 1878.
ii. SARAH DELVINA MACCAULL, b. 27 Oct 1880; d. 28 Feb 1953; m. FRANK JOPE, 07 Dec 1912; b. 1888; d. 1968.
iii. HATTIE BELLE MACCAULL, b. 29 Apr 1884; d. 28 Dec 1918; m. ARTHUR OGDEN; b. 1884; d. 1956.
iv. PATTERSON CLARK MACCAULL, b. 26 Dec 1887, Ellerslie, PE; d. 18 Nov 1920; m. SARA(EVA) EVA MIRANDA GRIGG, 14 Feb 1912, Tyne Valley, PE; b. 11 Dec 1888, PE; d. 1962.
v. CALVIN REEVES MACCAULL, b. 25 Nov 1889; d. 21 Jul 1965; m. JANET SALES; b. 1901.
vi. ARTEMAS ALEXANDER MACCAULL, b. 19 Oct 1891; d. 24 Mar 1957; m. MARY BULLOCK; b. 1892; d. 1954.
vii. VERBAL FAY MACCAULL, b. 21 Apr 1895; d. 11 Dec 1913.
viii. PETER MILLAR MACCAULL, b. 26 Jun 1897, Ellerslie, PE; m. (1) MILLICENT WAUGH; b. 1898; d. 1935; m. (2) RENA NEILL; m. (3) LILLIAN(GLENA) GLENN RAMSAY, 23 Jul 1918, Lot 14, PE; b. 04 Feb 1898, Tyne Valley, PE; d. 24 Jul 1922, Ellerslie, PE.
When his father's store burned down in 1928, Peter carried on the business in a temporary location in the MacCaull residence until a new store was built the following year. MacCaull's carried a wide variety of general merchandise in addition to groceries including hardware, house wares, dry good, canvas for making mats, yarn from MacAusland's Mills, socks and mitts hand knit with MacAusland's yarn, paint, wallpaper, appliances, motor oil, stove oil and kerosene. Gasoline was sold at pumps outside the front of the store. Coal was obtained by freight carload and retailed to customers. Feed for farm animals was also obtained by carload and sold to farmers. MacCaull's were Agents for Cockshutt machinery and parts. Potatoes were bought in 75-pound bags and shipped by freight with 600 bags making a carload. Poultry, with feathers removed, were packed in apple barrels, and shipped by rail. Eggs were bought, graded & sold. Homemade butter, fresh berries and baskets were also bought and sold. A showcase in the store contained a variety of articles suitable for gift giving.
When Peter retired, his son and daughter-in-law, Robert and Orell continued to operate the business until 1996
(Ref: " Burntisland to Bideford" by Bev & Wyman Millar, published 2004)
ix. ETTIE WANDA MACCAULL, b. 04 Oct 1885; d. 10 Apr 1924, Bideford, PE; m. ALBERT(CLAUDE) CLAUDE WILLIAMS, 07 May 1907, Ellerslie, Prince Co., PE; b. 03 Jan 1886, Bideford, Lot 12, Prince Co., PE; d. 12 Jul 1937, Bideford, PE.
x. THOMAS HENRY MACCAULL, b. 1882; d. 1956; m. J PEARL ELLIS; b. 12 Apr 1882; d. 20 Mar 1944.
4. ISABELLE MACCAULL (HENRY, ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born 20 Nov 1858 in PE, and died 14 Nov 1932. She married CHARLES MACNEVIN 21 Oct 1877. He was born 1848 in De Sable, PE, and died 1924.
Charles had been running the James Yeo sawmill before he married Isabelle. After which he was a section man for the CNR. They purchased a farm in Ellerslie, PE when he retired.
Children of ISABELLE MACCAULL and CHARLES MACNEVIN are:
i. JESSIE DELVINA MACNEVIN, b. 24 Jul 1878.
ii. CHARLES FREDERICK MACNEVIN, b. 09 Apr 1882.
iii. ANNIE MYRTLE MACNEVIN, b. 04 Jun 1884.
iv. JENNIE VERE MACNEVIN, b. 28 May 1885.
v. BERNICE ISABELLE MACNEVIN, b. 12 Jun 1886, Tyne Valley, PE; d. 1946; m. WILLIAM RICHARD GRIGG, 05 Sep 1906; b. 16 May 1884, PE; d. 18 Jan 1959.
vi. THOMAS SMALLMAN MACNEVIN, b. 17 Apr 1890.
vii. ERNEST ROY MACNEVIN, b. 18 Apr 1892, PE; d. 27 Jul 1967; m. CLARINDA JANE GRIGG; b. 02 May 1891, PE; d. 28 Aug 1975.
viii. GLADYS MARGARET MACNEVIN, b. 04 Nov 1894; d. 1969; m. (1) ALVIN L. PHILLIPS; b. 1890; d. 1936; m. (2) J. CLARK MACQUARRIE, 1951; b. 1882; d. 1970.
ix. BEATRICE MARY MACNEVIN, b. 24 Dec 1898; m. J. FOSTER SHARP, 15 Jun 1922.
x. HARRY LORNE MACNEVIN, b. 26 Mar 1880; m. EMMA MACEACHERN.
xi. DOROTHY ADELLE MACNEVIN, b. 28 Feb 1901; m. (1) JAMES LIVINGSTONE; m. (2) WILFRED MACDOUGALL.
5. J HENRY MACCAULL (HENRY, ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born 23 Jul 1862 in PE, and died 26 Sep 1929. He married SARAH JANE ENGLAND 1889, daughter of JOHN ENGLAND. She was born 18 Dec 1868 in Ellerslie, and died 08 Aug 1958.
Henry & Janie lived in O'Leary, Bloomfield and Coleman, PE before moving to Gaspe, Quebec, where he owned a sawmill & store, which was destroyed by fire. Following that they returned to Summerside, PE.
Children of J MACCAULL and SARAH ENGLAND are:
i. MARGARET BERYL MACCAULL, b. 22 Jun 1890; m. E.E. BENSON.
Margaret & her husband settled in Newcastle, N.B.
ii. EMPRESS MAY MACCAULL, b. 21 Jul 1892, Bloomfield, PE; m. A.G. CABOT; b. on The Island of Jersey.
iii. REAGH ENGLAND MACCAULL, b. 10 Mar 1894, Coleman, PE; m. AMELIA GALLIFOR, 01 Dec 1927.
iv. JANIE RUTH MACCAULL, b. 11 Jul 1898, Gaspe, Quebec; m. ROBERT FRANKLIN CRAIG.
v. JOHN HENRY LLOYD MACCAULL, b. 13 Sep 1900, Summerside, PE; m. MARY MACDONALD.
vi. AUDREY HENRIETTA MACCAULL, b. 04 Jul 1906, Gaspe, Quebec; d. 10 Mar 1985.
vii. SYBIL JEAN MACCAULL, b. 14 Aug 1908, Gaspe, Quebec.
viii. WINSTON STUART MACCAULL, b. 12 Mar 1911; d. 25 Dec 1975.
6. SARAH MACCAULL (HENRY, ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born 25 Aug 1866 in PE, and died Jun 1958. She married ALFRED LEMUEL SCHURMAN 19 Mar 1886. He was born 18 Feb 1860, and died 29 Jun 1942 in Vancouver, BC.
Child of SARAH MACCAULL and ALFRED SCHURMAN is:
i. FRANCES ADELE SCHURMAN, m. (1) IRA BANKS; m. (2) UNKNOWN METCALFE.
7. JOHN MACCAULL (HENRY, ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born 05 Dec 1867 in PE, and died 03 Oct 1924 in PE. He married ROBINA(BINIE) CAIRNS, daughter of JOHN CAIRNS and MARIA CRAWFORD. She was born 02 Feb 1878 in Freetown, PE, and died 08 Mar 1940.
Children of JOHN MACCAULL and ROBINA(BINIE) CAIRNS are:
i. NORMAN(GUY) GUY MACCAULL, b. 21 Oct 1902; d. 16 Jul 1961; m. MARY ELLEN MORRISON; b. 13 Nov 1907, Mount Vernon, PE; d. 22 Dec 1985.
ii. FLORANCE DELL MACCAULL, b. Abt. 1914; d. 04 Jul 1987; m. EDWIN LORD; d. 1958.
8. ARTEMAS(ART) GEORGE MACCAULL (HENRY, ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born Jan 1872 in PE, and died 1951. He married ANNIE CARUTHERS BAKER 06 Dec 1908. She was born Jan 1878 in PE, and died 1951.
Children of ARTEMAS(ART) MACCAULL and ANNIE BAKER are:
i. RALPH MACCAULL, b. 17 Oct 1909, PE.
ii. ROBERT LORNE MACCAULL, b. 29 Feb 1912, PE; m. LOIS JEAN CALLBECK, 16 Sep 1937; b. 29 Sep 1914.
iii. JEAN MILLAR MACCAULL, b. 07 Feb 1914, PE; d. 17 Sep 1998, Charlottetown, PE; m. JOHN GERALD GREEN, 12 Sep 1938; b. 09 Mar 1905.
iv. MARY MACCAULL, b. 10 Nov 1915, PE.
9. JESSIE MACCAULL (HENRY, ANTHONY MCCAULL) was born 24 Oct 1874 in PE, and died 1949 in California. She married MABEN WALTER STAVERT 1920. He was born in Freetown, PE, and died 09 Nov 1941 in California.