New Glasgow Bits and Pieces - Notes, Memoirs, and Diaries from New Glasgow

Recommend Me! Suggest This Page To A Friend!

Unmarked Items submitted by Gary Carroll - - Gary has been instrumental in providing the bulk of our information on the Alexander and the early settlers of New Glasgow.

Those marked with a ^ are from Carol Stanish -

On this page, you will find a collection of vital statistics notices for New Glasgow residents, diaries, etc., extracted from newspapers of the time...

Memoirs of Margaret Gregor

Margaret Gregor was born about 1845, the daughter of George Stevenson and Mary Jane Proctor. In 1864 she married Angus Gregor. She died in Rockland, Mass., USA in 1929. This memoir was probably written in 1928 as Mrs. Gregor says she had just heard of the death of Rev. John Simpson who died 23 Jan., 1928, and that John's sister Mrs. Mary Jane MacLure (1843-1929) was still living - Gary Carroll

History of My Ancestors

Margaret Stevenson Gregor

Written from memory at the age of 84

My grandfather, John Stevenson, born in 1778 in Paisley, Scotland and the son of Charles and Margaret Stevenson, came of sturdy Scottish stock.

At the age of eighteen, he was sent to Edinburgh University to be educated as a Presbyterian minister. He applied for board at the home of a widow, Mrs. Nesbit, who said she preferred to take as a boarder in her home, one who could conduct family worship. He replied that he could and was admitted as a boarder. In discussing with Mrs. Nesbit the different modes of baptism, he was convinced by her that baptism by immersion was the bible way and was immersed.

After his immersion he could not consciously conform to the Westminster confession of Faith, so could not be ordained as a Presbyterian minister. This so incensed his father that he would have nothing more to do with him.

Upon being thrown on his own resources he decided to learn the weavers trade and became a weaver of Paisley shawls. He afterward did weaving in exchange for flour and other farm products.

He eventually married Mrs. Nesbit's daughter, Margaret. Thirteen children were born of this union. The oldest child, a daughter, lived only a year. Six sons and six daughters lived to marry and have families.

When they had nine children, John decided to come to America, because he knew that if they remained in Scotland his sons when they came of age would be compelled to enter the army.

With his wife and nine children, he left Paisley Scotland in 1820. They came to America in the sailing vessel "Alexander" with a number of other families and settled on Prince Edward Island, Canada.

He had procured a document in Scotland, granting him land on the north shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence, where other families had settled. During the voyage across the Atlantic, his papers were lost; so he was obliged to take a forest farm some eight miles from where he had hoped to locate.

Prince Edward Island at that time was primeval. Its heritage was its forests, its rivers and its fish.

He selected a spot on a hill, fashioning a few logs together and stuffing the crevices with sods, they called the pile a home. It could not have been very comfortable but here my grandfather, his faithful wife and bairns lived, laboured and prospered despite the hardships of winter and the adversities of summer. Their only way of getting from place to place was by "blazing" the trail.

After they had lived on Prince Edward Island a number of years several families came from Scotland. One of these newcomers complaining of the bad roads they found was answered thus by my great grandmother (for my grandfather had brought his wife's mother to this country); "Aye woman, if ye had cam when we did ye wad hae had to clim over the taps o' the trees".

A great deal of the land on Prince Edward Island was owned by the English nobility to whom those who held farms and worked them were required to pay rent. The fee which my grandfather paid for his farm of one hundred acres was two shillings an acre, each year.

The rent was collected regularly by agents of the nobility to whom the land had been granted.

After a time the tenants grew tired of paying rent to the land owners and asked the privilege of buying the farms which they were working. This the owners refused and the tenants refused to pay rent, trying to force the owners to sell.

When the sherriff came to arrest them for debt, great excitement prevailed for in those times anyone that could not or would not pay his debts was put into jail.

When it was known that the sherriff was coming, someone would race through the country on horseback blowing a horn, signalling the approach of the sherriff so the people might hide.

My grandfather had strong faith in God that if he did right all would be well with him. He held Sunday School in the barn and later built a meeting house in the corner of his field close by the side of the road. There he held services every Sunday but never took money for it, nor did he want any. He was repaid by the knowledge that God was blessing him and using him in bringing many to serve his Master.

This was the starting of the Christian Church in new Glasgow. The ministers were entertained at my grandfather's home; one of these who visited my grandfather has told me that he was in the house the night I was born. This man was John Knox, a very smart man with a wonderful memory for hymns and verses of the Bible.

Now I shall have to admit that I do not know much of what happened for a number of years.

My grandfather's sons selected farms, cleared them, built houses and married. The eldest son married Jane Orr, whose father was engaged in shipbuilding. The boys had not many fair damsels to select from, so John, Andrew and William married three Houston girls, all of whom were sisters. John and Charles owned farms across the Clyde River and only a short distance from their father's home. They called the place "The Gorbals of new Glasgow". I think there was a place near Glasgow in Scotland by that name. The place where my grandfather settled had been named New Glasgow. William and Andrew took farms about five miles from their father's home in a place now called Fredericton. Charles had a family of four boys and seven girls. Two boys and two girls died when they were young. His wife died when her children were quite young; their father married again and had two sons, Charles and Henry by his second wife.

John Stevenson, my grandfather's second son who had married one of the three Houston sisters, had three girls and two boys, which was the smallest family of the twelve children of my grandfather. The mother of the five children died and the father married a second wife a very fine woman named Margaret Simpson. No children resulted from this marriage.

The third son, Andrew, who also married one of the three Houston sisters, had seven children. The mother died two years after the sister who was John Stevenson's wife. Andrew married for his second wife, Elizabeth Crawford, of Bedeque, PEI, one of a prominent family of that place. She had no children.

The fourth son, William, married to one of the three Houston sisters, had eight children, five sons and three daughters. William's wife died just two years after Andrew's wife. It was somewhat of a coincidence that the three sisters died within four years - two years apart. William Stevenson married again and had two children, a girl and a boy.

Now I must tell you what my grandfather's daughters were doing while their brothers were making homes and raising families. The daughters were not falling behind. The eldest daughter, Catherine, married a young man, James Dickieson, who came out on the same vessel with them from Scotland. He was a wheelwright by trade. He took up land next to her fathers. They had thirteen children of whom two died in infancy and two are still living, Charles of New Glasgow and Mrs. Jane Williams of Charlottetown who is more than ninety years of age.

My grandfather's next oldest daughter was Margaret who married James Houston, a brother of the three Houston sisters. I well remember when I visited there always having a good time. They had three girls and three boys.

I think the next in order was Jane who married William Bagnall, a cousin of my mother. My grandmothers oldest sister was his mother. They had thirteen children - nine girls and four boys. Two girls and one boy died when young, but one girl and one boy are still living. They were a nice looking family and it was a great place for young men to go as there were so many pretty girls there. Needless to say they were all married quite comfortably.

I had a letter not long ago in which the husband of one of them lamented the loss of his dear wife Mary Ellen, a favorite of mine, who live to be over eighty, although very deaf, yet very smart.

I don't know but that I should have told of Janet's marriage. I do not know which was the eldest, but it does not matter much. She married Henry Simpson and lived in Cavendish on a farm on the shores of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. They had ten children - five sons and five daughters. I have just heard of the second son, who was very religious from his boyhood and prepared for the ministry. He must have been well up in the eighties. He married a Southern girl and preached in the South all his life. He had two sons - one a minister and one a doctor. His sister Mary Jane, of whom I thought a lot, is still living, two years older than I.

The next to be married was Martha, the fifth girl. She and my mother, Mary Proctor, were great friends as she was going to marry my mothers cousin, George Bagnall, and my mother was to marry Martha's brother George Stevenson. The men were in business together, having built houses near and were both interested in a grist mill. They were married at the same time and place, December seventh, 1841. They always celebrated the event by being together, one year at the home of one couple and next year at the home of the other couple. The last time they were together was on board the vessel.

George Bagnall and family had decided to go to New Zealand and they were waiting for tides or wind to take them off. My father and mother went out to the vessel and they celebrated for the last time, I think in the fall of 1863. My aunt was not much in favour of going. She had said she would not go as long as her father lived but he had died the summer before. While lying out at the three tides, she said if she could set foot on land, no man on earth could take her off. I have heard she was rather lonely and missed her old friends and longed for a familiar face if only Tom McGuigan's, who used to feed their pigs. They had twelve children - eight sons and four daughters, two of whom were born after they reached New Zealand.

But I must return to other members of the family.

Agnes, the youngest daughter, married Samuel Worth, whose father and mother were English people living near Charlottetown. Aunt Agnes had eleven children - six girls and five boys - they lived in New Glasgow and kept a kind of halfway house between Charlottetown and New London.

Uncle Samuel was always joking with me so one day I thought I would play a joke on him. He had been helping my father and they were both taking a nap with their heads on the table; I got a rope and tied Uncle Samuel's legs to the table, but when he awakened, I was in the cellar, nowhere to be seen.

Their house was a great place for the young folks to have good times with cousins and some that were not cousins. Of that family, those that are living are most of them in massachusetts - some in Worcester and one in Denver, Colorado.

I do not know much of my mothers family. They came to America in 1812 during a war England had for I remember their saying if their father and oldest brother had been on the vessel they were on, they would have been taken back to England to fight for her. Fortunately they had come to America sometime previous. They landed in Cascumpeque, on the western part of PEI.

I am not sure of the first name of my mother's grandfather but I shall call his name William Cantelo as his oldest son's name was William and in those days the eldest son was usually names for the father. Before he left England he was a gunsmith in business with his brother. One reason for his leaving was that he thought his brother was not treating him square in the business.

It was a great disappointment to his wife not to have the things they had been accustomed to have in England where they had been very comfortable. All was so different in the new country.Indians lived across the river from them. My grandmother told me that once while their father and mother were away and the children were left alone, that the woods were so full of fireflies they seemed to the children to be on fire; but the Indians reassured the children by telling them what it was. The Indians did not make any trouble for them. The river between them could not have been very wide for grandmother one of her brothers and a sister crossed it in a washtub.

It was her sister Charlotte's work to grind the wheat for flour in a coffee mill. I do not know how long this continued, but I think not long for the father moved into Charlottetown and bought some land that became valuable. His children settled in different parts.

The eldest daughter married Richard Bagnall and had five sons and two daughters; two of her sons married my father's two sisters, Martha and Jane Stevenson. My grandmother Jane Cantelo, married George Proctor and had five children. James the eldest, Mary Jane, my mother, the second, then Sarah and two boys younger, Edwin and George. My grandfather Proctor died when my mother was fourteen years of age, leaving my grandmother with five children. The oldest sixteen was apprenticed to learn the Blacksmiths trade, while she supported the rest by means of her needle. My mother went to work very young in her aunt, Mrs. Sims family where she had to work hard as her aunt was a very particular housekeeper.

When my mother's oldest brother had learned his trade he came to New Glasgow and did the iron work on vessels that were being built there by the Orr brothers. There he took up land, built a house and made a home for his mother and family.

The other daughter Sarah married William Arthur and after a few years moved to Ontario.

I do not know much more of my grandmother's brothers and sisters. William, the eldest went to New York and owned two stores there. He sent for his father to take charge of one but his father and mother did not like New York. The last we heard from him was that he and his wife went to England in the first steamer that crossed the Atlantic.

New Glasgow Vital Statistics

McAlpine's Maritime Provinces Directory for 1870-71 page 1349

New Glasgow (Lot 23) 17 miles from Charlottetown

Bagnall Will. J.P. farmer and miller
Binns John, merchant
Bradshaw H.D., physician and landowner
Brown William, J.P. farmer
Bulman Benjamin, farmer
CRAWFORD Rev. D. (Baptist)
Clarke Will. shoemaker and farmer
Dickieson James, farmer
Gregor Angus, carriagebuilder
Harris C.F., tinsmith and gasfitter
Houston James D., boot and shoemaker
Inche Thomas, farmer and pedlar
Laird Alexander, J.P. farmer
Laird James, merchant
Laird William, farmer
Ling Jacob, farmer
McCarty David, farmer
McCoubrey Bros., harnessmakers
McDonald Alexander, carriagebuilder
McDonald John, farmer
McDonald M., boot and shoemaker
McInnis John, tailor
Moffat James, farmer
Moffat Robert, farmer
Nisbet Mrs. Andrew, way office keeper
Nisbet George, farmer
Orr David, farmer
Orr John, shipowner and farmer
Orr William, farmer
Pethick Philip, carpenter
Proctor James, farmer
Rackem Geo., temperance hotelkeeper
Rattery David, farmer
Sample James, farmer
Smith Charles, farmer
Smith George, carpenter and farmer
Smith John, farmer
Stevenson Charles, farmer
Stevenson George, farmer
Stevenson Robert, farmer
Traynor Artemas, blacksmith



^ The Royal Gazette, 7 June 1842, page 5

Died "At New Glasgow, on the 7th inst., Mrs. Janet Alexander, wife of the late William Arthur, aged 82 years, a native of Renfrewshire, Scotland."


^ The Examiner, 8 Jan.1848, page 7


Married "At Spring Hill, New Glasgow, on the 31st December, by the Rev. Mr. Allan, Mr. James Moffat to Jane, eldest daughter of James Arthur, Esq., both of that place."


Patriot 9 Dec., 1920 page 6


MISS MARGARET DICKIESON Many friends were grieved to learn of the death of Miss Margaret Dickieson of Charlottetown, who passed away on the evening of November 6th after a short illness in the ninety seventh year of her age. Miss Dickieson was a native of New Glasgow where she lived for many years, an active and honoured life among her relatives and neighbors. Early in life she identified herself with the Christian Church at New Glasgow, of which she remained a member until her death. Some twenty years ago she moved to Charlottetown where she has since resided with her sister, Mrs. Benjamin Williams. Owing to her advanced age she lived a quiet unassuming life, seldom going abroad, but enjoying the friendship of a wide circle of acquaintances, to whom she was always familiarly known as "Aunt Margaret." Born of the old Scottish stock of Pioneer settlers at a time when conditions were difficultand hard work the rule, she has shared in the develop ment of the community of New Glasgow, and has seen the transformation from from the forest to the highly culyivated condition of the prosperous settlement ofNew Glasgow as it exists today.Her father, the late James Dickieson emmigrated from the parish of Houston in Scotland, and afterwards married Catherine Stevenson a daughter of John S. Stevenson who was also among the emigrants. Mr. Stevenson was a weaver by trade of the City of Paisley, and from him in her early years Miss Dickieson learned the art of the home manufacture of flax and wool in all the various processes. Her skill in this work was unusual and her interest in the industry never fagged. Though changing conditions rendered such unnecessary, she retained her spinning wheel in active use until quite recently and her hand knit socks contributed to the comfort of soldiers at the front on many occasions during the war. In matters of current events she was a keen observer, and a wide reader retaining her faculties almost unimpaired until the end. In August last she attended the Centennial Celebrasion at New Glasgow as the oldest inhabitant. Here she spent some weeks among friends and relatives returning to the city on her birthday, October 6th.

Though not seriously ill she had been in rather delicate health for some time and despite the care and atten tion bestowed upon her in an effort "to husband out life's taper at its close" she contracted a cold which developed and after about a week her gentle spirit peacefully passed to its Maker.

The surviving members of the family are Charles and Arthur of New Glasgow, James of Charlottetown, Andrew of Vancouver, William of San Francisco and Mrs. Williams of Charlottetown.

The funeral took place on Monday 8th, inst.,from the residence of Mr. Arthur Dickieson, the old homestead to New Glasgow cemetery. A large gathering of friends from far and near assembled to pay their last tribute of respect, and followed the remains to their resting place, her nephews act ing as pall bearers. Rev. W.S. Harding, minister of the Christian Church at Summerside and Rev. H. Mahon of Charlottetown conducted the services.


Presbyterian Witness Halifax Sat., 12 Feb., 1898


James Laird of New Glasgow, PEI died of Heart failure while stabling his horse at Hunter River Station. Eldest son of Hon. Alexander Laird, he was born 3 July, 1825 at New Glasgow. He was involved in farming, milling and mercantile business. He also owned schooners. He was an active member of the Presbyterian Church.


Royal Gazette Tues., 21 June, 1842 page 2


On Sunday the 19th inst., at New Glasgow, Lot 23, in the 69th year of his age, Mr. Peter Macauslane of Rustico, Merchant.


Patriot Sat., 29 Jan., 1881 page 2


Suddenly at his residence at Breadalbane on the 11th inst., Mr. David Orr, in his 81st year. He emigrated with his father and family from Scotland in 1819 and settled at New Glasgow. They were among the first settlers who, with heroic toil and indomitable perseverance transformed the rough forest into that beautiful settlement. Mr. Orr lived in New Glasgow till a few years before his death.He was a true-hearted, humble and intelligent christian and for him "Death had no sting since his Savior has died."


Semi-Weekly Patriot Thurs., 6 May, 1869 page 3


DIED At Halifax, N.S., on Saturday, the 1st inst., Mr. James Orr, of French River, New London, in the 58th year of his age. Deceased went from the Island to Pictou by the first trip of the steamer to bring home a vessel of his which had wintered in Halifax, and while in that city he took suddenly ill, and death soon terminated his sufferings. He dined on Friday in his usual health, and in 30 hours afterwards the vital spark had fled. He was a man of unassuming manners and integrity, and consistent religious profession. His remains were brought over in the Princess of Wales from Pictou on Monday, and taken to New Glasgow, where they were followed on Tuesday by a large concourse of people to the resting place where lie the ashes of his kindred.



Daily Patriot Weds., 14 Feb., 1906 page 8

The death of John Orr of French River, New London on sunday morning February 4th announced in our columns a few days ago took place after two days illness. He attained the ripe old age of 91 years, his faculties being unimpaired to the last. He was a well known and highly respected resident and was the last and youngest of the Orr family emigrating from Scotland. he was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland in the year 1815 emigrating with his parents to the Island in the year 1819 settling in New Glasgow. The Island then being more or less of a forest and as shipbuilding was then in its infancy and very little soil to be tilled the early settlers had to depend chiefly on the forest for a living. Hence when quite a boy he went to work in shipyards for some years and being of strong constitution soon became master of the situation. Then he began shipbuilding on his own account, building schooners and square rigged vessels, the latter for foreign countries for which he always found a ready market. He was well skilled in seamanship crossing the Atlantic Ocean no less than seventeen times, chiefly in one of his own crafts. He was one of the members of the memorable brig Fanny sailing from Charlottetown in the year 1849 for San Francisco, staying in California for a time, superintending the building of various kinds of crafts - sailing them from San Francisco to Manila then to Hong Kong China where he remained several months, returning home by the way of California in the year 1852, crossing the Isthmus of Panama on a mules back, taking a steamer from Aspinwall to New York thence home. It may be worthy of mention that shortly after leaving Aspinwall, cholera of a malignant type was discovered among the passengers, which developed into an alarming state causing the death of many passengers in a few hours. On finding the materials for building vessels getting exhausted he with his family moved from New Glasgow to French River, New London, buying land where two of his sons now reside living with Parminus until his death. Three sons and three daughters survive him, John C. and Miss Aggie H. residing in California, Mrs. Geo. Chipman, Wyman, Maine, Mrs. David Cole, Clifton, Parminus at home and George on his farm nearby. In religion he belonged to the Christian Church at New Glasgow uniting in membership with that body when quite a young man.


Ross's Weekly Thurs., 26 Dec., 1861


At New Glasgow on Tuesday the 17th inst., Mr. Robert Orr, sen., aged 87 years. The deceased was a native of Renfrewshire, Scotland; occupied a respectable position in society there, and was highly esteemed in the locality in which he resided. He emigrated to this Colony with his family in 1819, and settled on the Township owned by his brother the late David Rennie, Esq., Glasgow, Scotland.


Semi-weekly Patriot Sat., 9 Mar., 1878 page 4


At New Glasgow, on the 29th of Jan. last Mr. Robert Orr, in his 70th year. He emigrated to New Glasgow from Scotland in the year 1819 when quite a boy, and assisted largely in developing the resources of his adopted settlement.


Daily Patriot Sat., 28 April, 1894, page 2


It is our painful duty to chronicle the death of Mr. William Orr, which occurred at San Felipe, California on Tuesday, the 24th of April, instant. Mr. Orr was born in Renfrewshire, Scotland, on the 11th October, 1813, and had therefore nearly completed his 81st year. He came to this Island with his parents in 1819, who were pioneers in the settlement of New Glasgow, Lot 23. Mr. William Orr in early manhood became an active shipbuilder, and first in company with his brothers, and afterwards with Mr. John Darrach, now of New Zealand, built many fine vessels for the British and Newfoundland markets. When shipbuilding failed on the Island, he for some time engaged in the coasting trade, and afterwards about 20 years ago, removed with his whole family to California, where they successfully followed farming and ranching. Mr. Orr was a man of sterling honesty, great resource and untiring energy, being much esteemed by his employees and by all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. He was married to Miss Janet Semple, of New Glasgow, who with six sons and four daughters, all in California, survive him, to mourn their loss.


Daily Patriot Mon., 30 July, 1883


Died At New Glasgow, on the 19th July, after a lingering illness which he bore with patient resignation, William Semple, in the 54th year of his age, leaving a sorrowing widow and seven children to mourn the loss of a kind husband and affectionate parent. the deceased was endowed with superior intellectual ability which he exercised chiefly in studying and expounding the Scriptures. He was from early boyhood a member of the Presbyterian Church, and through the many vicissitudes and trials of life maintained the character of a true Christian. He was conscious to the end and expired calmly in the full hope of blissful hereafter.


Examiner 14 June, 1875


Died At New Glasgow on the 22nd April after a short but severe illness which he bore with Christian fortitude, James Semple aged 58 years.


Charlottetown Herald Weds., 19 July, 1911


DIED BULLMAN - At her home New Glasgow, July 14th 1911, Mrs. Margaret Bullman, in her 80th year.


Colonial Herald Sat., 3 Oct., 1840 page 3

On the 19th ultimo, from the building-yard of Mr. Robert Orr, New Glasgow, a fine Schooner called the Roberts, about 155 tons register, for Messrs. Johnson and Caie, Miramichi. This being the ninth vessel launched by Messrs. Orr within the last fifteen months.


Colonial Herald Sat., 14 Oct., 1843 page 3

A shark measuring 8 feet 9 inches in length, was caught at Orr's Creek, New Glasgow, on Thursday last. It had got into the mud and being unable to extricate itself, was dispatched by James Christie, Joiner, with a pitchfork, assisted by another man armed with a mall. Christie narrowly escaped being seized by the monster.

Another of these marine monsters of much larger dimensions, having got entangled in the seaweed at Middleton's Cove, Rustico was also killed by some of the inhabitants of that place on Monday the 9th inst.


PEI Gazette Sat., 26 Aug., 1820

A few weeks ago one of the settlers of New Glasgow while hoeing his potatoes turned over with his hoe a human skull; near it on the surface of the ground were found several other human bones. No traces can be had from any of the old inhabitants of that part of the Island how these bones came to be there.


Royal Gazette Tues., 2 Oct., 1849, page 2

A Drill Machine for sowing Turnips constructed by Mr. James Christie, of New Glasgow, was examined by the Committee, and received a premium of forty shillings.


Examiner Mon., 5 June, 1848, page 7

On the 20th inst., at the Shipyard of Mr. Robert Orr, New Glasgow, a handsome modelled Brigantine, of 144 tons burthen, called the Lady Campbell.


Daily Patriot Tues., 23 Feb., 1897, page 3

The Guardian regrets to have to announce the very sudden death of Mrs. Charles Seller of New Glasgow Road, which sad event occurred Saturday forenoon about 11 o'clock. She had been going about the house as usual during the morning doing her house- work when without a word she suddenly dropped to the floor and expired in a very few minutes. Paralysis of the heart was pronounced by Dr. Bradshaw to be the cause. The deceased who was in the prime of life, was a daughter of the late Jacob Ling of New Glasgow, and leaves a kind husband and family of six children to whom we tender our sincere sympathy in their hour of bereavement. The funeral took place monday.


Daily Patriot Weds., 24 Oct., 1894, page 2

DIED At New Glasgow, on the 13th inst., in his 81st year, George Nesbit, after a few days illness. He was one of the early settlers in New Glasgow who came from Scotland in 1820. He was for many years a member of the Church of Christ who adhered firmly to what he believed to be the path of duty, and met the last enemy calmly and confidently resting on the merits of Christ. He left one son and three daughters to mourn the loss of an affectionate and dutiful father.


Island Guardian 15 Dec., 1892, page 4

DIED: At New Glasgow, of paralysis, on the 6th inst., Benjamin Bulman, in the 71st year of his age, universally respected.


Ross's Weekly Thurs., 10 Aug., 1865


RECEIVES regular reports of the latest style of fashions. All orders in his line of business punctually attended to. Keeps constantly on hand a supply of trimmings to accomodate his customers, to whom he begs leave to return support for the liberal support that has been heretofore extended to him; and by strict attention, as usual, he hopes to merit a large share of public patronage. New Glasgow Bridge, P.E.I. July 20

Stray Cow

Royal Gazette Tues., 20 Nov., 1832

STRAYED, about three months since, from the New Glasgow Road, a dark brown COW, with a little white on her back, and white on the tip of the tail, the tops of her horns cut off, seven years old. Whoever will give information where she may be found, will be be rewarded for their trouble, by applying to Thomas Walsh or to TERENCE O'BRIEN. New Glasgow Road, 15 miles from Charlotte-Town, Nov. 6th, 1832.

New Record!New Glasgow Settlement

Guardian 31 Oct., 1951, page 4

One of the early writers about Prince Edward Island was John Macgregor, whose "Observations on Emigration in North America" contained references to this Island and who subsequently published the following letter, which throws an interesting light on the settle-ment of New Glasgow.

Edinburgh, Scotland
14th February, 1829

My dear Sir -

"I was much gratified on observing such a proof of the flourishing condition of the settlement of New Glasgow, in Prince Edward Island, as that of your noticing in your Sketches of our American Colonies.

"To secure a foundation to that Settlement, I encouraged and guarded the first settlers, until they had marked out and possessed the grounds according to the notions with which they had left their native soil, and to secure its existance amd prosperity afterwards, I supplied their wants so far as to enable them to labour on the land without working for others, and by this measure, to make them feel attached to it as their own. Afterwards I advanced necessaries to them not exceedingaltogether the value of their improvements."

"W.E. Cormack"

Dave Hunter and The Island Register: HTML and Graphics©

Last Updated: 3/7/2006 4:15:31 PM
Return to Top!
Return to Alexander 1820 Page!
Return to Main Page!