Proprietors of P.E.I. Lots in 1767, and Changes in Lot Ownership till 1810.

Lot Map of P.E.I.

Lot #

Lot Proprietors 1767-1810


Philip (Phillip) Stephens (Stevens) Sec. To the Lords of the Admiralty.


James Hunter and William Hunter, Merchants.


Chauncey (Chauncy) Townshend (Townsend), Esq. (M.P.).


Admiral (Hon.) Augustus (August) Keppel (Kepple), Esq.


Edward Lewis, Esq. (M.P.). In 1779 the Lot was listed as jointly owned by Edward Lewis and John Hill.


William Crowle (Croule), Esq.


(Sir) James Montgomery, Esq., Lord Chief Baron of the Court of Exchequer in Scotland and His Majesty's Advocate for Scotland.


Arnold Nisbett (Nisbith, Nesbet), Esq. (M.P.). After 1775 the owners were William Kilpatrick, Merchant, and Benjamin Todd (Dodd), then in 1783, the owners were either or both Andrew or Isaac Todd.


Hon. James Murray, Esq., Governor of Quebec.After 1775 the owners were Samuel Fountenelly (Fontenalle) (and George Teade?) In 1783, the Lot was listed under Laurence Sullivan (?)


Simon Lutterell (Luttrell or Luthrell), Esq. (M.P.). After 1775, Lutterell is listed as half owner with John Moteux (Melcux), Esq. By 1783, John Moteux was part or full owner, then by 1806, ownership sold or transferred to the Earl of Selkirk.


Hunt Walsh (Walch, Welsh), Esq., Colonel of the 28th Regiment of Foot.


Hutchinson (Hutchison) Mure (Muir) and Robert (Richard) Cathcart, Merchants. By 1806, the Lord of Selkirk held half.


John Pownall, Secretary to the Lords of Trade. By 1796, the owner was The Earl (Marquis?) Of Hertford.


John Campbell, Esq., Captain in the Royal Navy. After 1775, the owner was Thomas DesBrisay (Desbrisay), Lieutenant-Governor of the Colony.


(Sir) Guy Carleton (Carlton), Esq., Lieutenant Governor of Quebec.


John Tutté, (Tutte, Tuttle) Esq., David Forbes, and John Hayter, Lieutenants. After 1775 Laurence Sullivan and one fourth had been granted to Loyalists.


Bingham (Benjamin) Burke, Esq., and Theobald (P.) Burke, Esq. In 1781, One Half was sold for arrears of quit rent. By 1783, John and/or Walter Patterson were listed as owners with one fourth granted to Loyalists. By 1800 the remainder was owned by Colonel Compton (Who sold 6,000 acres to Acadians in this year).


John (Robert) Stewart (Stuart), Esq., Lieutenant-Colonel and William Allanby, Esq., Captain. After 1775, Robert Stewart, Commissioner of Customs for Jamaica and Allanby (listed as Post Master of the Island of St. John). By 1781, one half was sold for arrears of quit rent, and by 1783, a Stewart or Stuart held half of this lot or of Lot 26.


Walter Paterson, Esq., Captain, and John Paterson (both also given as Patterson). After 1775 do., but Walter Paterson now given as "Governor". In 1783, one fourth was granted to the Loyalists. In the 1780's John Patterson's share was sold, and in 1793 2,500 acres were sold to James Douglass.


Theodore Houltain (Holtain, Haltain) and Thomas Bassett (Basset), Esq., Captain. After 1775, Robert Campbell replaced Houltain as half owner.


Lauchlin MacLeane (McLain, McLean) Secretary to the Earl of Shelburne and Hugh (Henry M. MacLeane (etc.), Lieutenant. In 1770 the owners were Robert Clark and Robert Campbell then after 1775 Robert Clark, Merchant, became sole owner.


John (William) Gordon, and William Ridge, Esq., Captain. After 1775 Gordon's first name given as William (if the same man), then in 1783 the owner was Laurence Sullivan (?).


Allan MacLeane (McLain, etc.) and Lauchlin MacLeane (see Lot 21.) After 1775 Allan MacLean (sic) now listed as Major, and by 1806, the lot was sold or transferred to William Winter. In 1810, it was purchased by David Stewart Rennie.
Note: Ian R. Robertson, "The P.E.I. Land Commission of 1860", pg. 41-45 gives the following line of ownership of Lot 23 - William Winter received ownership of the lot on or before 1783, sold it to Abraham Kirkman in 1805. David Rennie bought it in 1810.


Charles Lee, Esq., Lieutenant-Colonel and Francis MacLean (MacLean, etc.). In 1781, it was sold for arrears of quit rent, and in 1783 some land was granted to Loyalists. By 1806 it was sold or transferred again.


Archibald Kennedy and James Campbell. In 1781 one half was sold for arrears in quit rent,


Robert (John) Stewart, Lieutenant and Peter Gordon, Esq., Major. After 1775, John Stewart, M.D. (Or M.P.), perhaps the same man, is listed as proprietor with Gordon, then in 1781 one half was sold for payment of arrears in quit rent then restored. In 1783, one fourth was granted to Loyalists. Again a John Stewart is listed as proprietor of half of this lot or of Lot 18. In 1785, one of the proprietors is listed as Robert Gordon, Esq., of the Island of St. Vincent.


James Searle (Seale) and John Russell Spence, Merchants.


Samuel Holland Esq., Captain (Surveyor of the Island)


Vice Admiral (Rt. Hon.) Sir Charles Saunders. After 1775 the proprietor was listed as Mr. Charles Saunders (Admiral Saunders died in 1775 and had no children!)


John Murray, Esq. Of Philiphaugh. By 1783, Part of the holdings transferred to James Montgomery (see lot 7).


Adam Drummond, Esq. (M.P.) After 1775, Thomas DesBrisay, Lieutenant- Governor of the Island. In 1781 it was sold for arrears (to DesBrisay?), then by 1806, it was sold by John Drummond to the Earl of Selkirk.


William Young, Esq., Commissioner for the Sale of Lands in the West Indies, then in 1781 it was sold for arrears then restored. In 1783 part was granted to Loyalists. By 1806, the land was out of Young's hands.


Richard Worge (Warge), Esq., late Colonel, then after 1775 by Thomas DesBrisay, Lieutenant-Governor. In 1781 the land was sold for arrears (to DesBrisay ?), and by 1806 it was again sold or transferred.


John Dickson, Esq. (M.P.). He died the same year and this lot went to James Montgomery (see lot 7)


Alexander Maitland, Esq. In 1771 the land was sold to John MacDonald of Glenaladale. In 1781 the land was reported sold for arrears, and by 1791 reported as restored.


George Spence and John Mill (Mills), Merchants and after 1775 owned by Donald MacDonald. In 1781 it was sold for arrears then restored.


William Spry, Captain and James Barker (Borkerley, Berkely), Captain. By 1806 one half was sold or transferred.


Simon Fraser, Esq., Colonel; James Abercrombie, Esq., 1st Major (Lieutenant-Colonel); John Campbell, Esq., 2nd Major (Lieutenant-Colonel); and John MacDonnell (McDonnell, Mac Donnell) Lieutenant (Captain) for themselves and for the rest of the officers of the 78th Regiment of Fraser Highlanders (also Lots 39, 41, and 42.). After 1775, owned by George Burn (Burns), Captain. By 1806 it had again been sold or transferred.


See Lot 38, after 1775 George Burn (Burns), Captain.


George Spence and John Mills (Mill), Merchants and George Burns, Lieutenant. By 1806 half was sold or transferred.


See Lot 38. After 1775 it was listed for Col. Campbell, (poss. The John Campbell of the first group). By 1806 it had again been sold or transferred.


See Lot 38. Listed for John MacDonald (of the original group?), and Alexander McLeod. By 1806 it had been sold or transferred.


Vice Admiral Sir George Brydges Rodney, Bart, then after 1775 Hon. John Dormer. By 1806 it had been again sold or transferred.


William Fitzherbert, Esq. (M.P.) And Robert Campbell, Merchant.


William Matthew Burt, Esq. (M.P.) And John Callender (Calender), Esq.


Alexander Fordyce, Banker, and Robert Gordon, Esq. After 1775, Robert Campbell had purchased the Fordyce share.


Gordon Graham, Esq., Lieutenant-Colonel, and Robert Porter, Esq, then by 1806 one half was sold or transferred.


Samuel Touchet (Touchel, Fouchet, Fouchette), Esq. (M.P.) and James Cunningham, Esq. Lieutenant-Colonel). One half sold for arrears, but the purchaser did nothing with the land and it was restored to the original owners.


Gabriel Christie, Esq., Lieutenant-Colonel, and James Stephenson (Stevenson), Esq., Captain. After 1775 it was owned by Robert Clark, Merchant. In 1781 it was sold for arrears but recovered by a law suit.


Henry Gladwin (Gladwine, Gladiner), Esq., Lieutenant-Colonel, and Peter Innes (Innis), Esq., Captain. In 1783, one fourth was granted to Loyalists.


John Pringle, Esq.


Stuart (Stewart) Douglas, Esq., Lieutenant-Colonel; William Douglas, Esq., Lieutenant (Captain); and Stair Douglas, Esq., Lieutenant (Captain). After 1775 Captain Tread; Benjamin Dodd (Todd); David Curry; and Samuel Fontenalle (Fountenelly) See Lot 9.


Richard Huck (Huck-Saunders) M.D.; John Williams, Merchant; and George Campbell, Lieutenant. By 1806, the western one third was part of the Selkirk holdings.


Robert Adair, Esq., Surgeon to His Majesty, transferred or sold by 1806.


Francis McKay, Esq., Surveyor of Woods; Samuel McKay, Esq. Of Montreal; and Hugh Finlay (Finley), Esq. Post Master of Quebec.


(General) Rt. Hon. George, Viscount Townshend, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. In 1783, one fourth granted to Loyalists.


Samuel Smith, Merchant, and James Smith, Esq., Captain in the Royal Navy. In 1781 it was sold for arrears to Walter Patterson, then by his assignees to Selkirk. By 1803 it was part of Selkirk's holdings.


Joshua Mauger (formerly of Halifax), then after 1775 by Alexander Anderson. In 1798 it was owned by Alexander Ellice, and by 1803, it was part of Selkirk's holdings.


Hutchison (Hutchinson) Mure (Muir) and Robert Cathcart, Merchants; David Higgins, Captain.


John Wrightson, late Major, and Daniel Shaw, late Captain, in the 42nd Regiment of Foot. After 1775, it was owned by Charles Pearce (Pierce) and William MacKinnon (Mackinen). In 1783 Pearce still held his half, then by 1806, it was sold or transferred (to Selkirk?).


Richard Cumberland, Esq. After 1783, by Laurence Sullivan.


Richard Fry, Esq. (Captain). By 1806 it was sold or transferred (to Selkirk?).


Hugh Palliser, Esq. (M.P.), then by 1797, by John Cambridge and Company.


Richard Maitland, Esq., Colonel. By 1797 it was sold to John Cambridge and Company. .


Richard Wright, Esq., and Hugh Owens, Esq. In 1781, one half was sold for arrears (the Owens Holding?)


To be reserved as Demesne Lands of the Crown.


Hon. Robert Moore, Esq. Then in 1781 it was sold for arrears of quit rent.

Information for this table from "Three Centuries and the Island", a Historical Geography of Settlement and Agriculture in Prince Edward Island, Canada", written by Andrew Hill Clark, then Professor of Geography in the University of Wisconsin, and published by the University of Toronto Press in 1959, Appendix B. This is an excellent book, which gives P.E.I. History from a Geographical angle, and contains many charts mapping the distribution of people and their economies in P.E.I.

Lots and their Population, Owners, and Terms, 1838 - An extract from Colonial Herald 3 February 1838 pg. 4 col. 4

Dave Hunter and The Island Register: HTML and Graphics© 1997 - 2001

Last Updated: 02/01/2001 10:39:07 AM

Return to Top!

Return to Census Index!
Return to Main Page!