Submitted by Lisa Stewart - firstname.lastname@example.org
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of Alexander Stewart
Generation No. 1
1. ALEXANDER1 STEWART was born Abt. 1750. He married MRS. ALEXANDER STEWART. She was born Abt. 1755.
Notes for ALEXANDER STEWART: Baptismal records for a Alexander Stewart for 18 Feb 1777 and a Mary Stewart for 22 Nov 1780 in Cornaibeg, Tiree. More children?
Child of ALEXANDER STEWART and MRS. STEWART is:
2. i. JOHN2 STEWART, b. Abt. 1776; d. Isle of Tiree, Scotland.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN2 STEWART (ALEXANDER1) was born Abt. 1776, and died in Isle of Tiree, Scotland. He married ANN MCNEILL 1801 in Tiree, Scotland. She was born Abt. 1781 in Isle of Barra, Scotland, and died in Isle of Tiree, Scotland.
Notes for JOHN STEWART: Met Ann in Glasglow. As a mason, he took a contract on the Island of Tiree to build a house and acquired a small farm there. Occupation: Crofter/Mason
Notes for ANN MCNEILL: From a well-to-do family from the Isle of Barra. She was considered one of the finest looking women on Tiree.
Children of JOHN STEWART and ANN MCNEILL are:
3. i. ALEXANDER3 STEWART, b. April 01, 1802, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland; d. July 27, 1872, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland.
ii. HECTOR STEWART, b. 1804.
Notes for HECTOR STEWART: Not Confirmed - may have been a tailer in Balemartin, wife Margaret McPhail, and children - Janet (1831), Euphemia ( Duncan Grant listed a baptismal record for Jan. 16,1833), Ann (1835), Ann (1837) Baptism: April 29, 1804, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland
iii. JAMES STEWART, b. 1806.
More About JAMES STEWART: Baptism: July 18, 1806, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland
iv. ALEXANDER STEWART, b. 1808.
Notes for ALEXANDER STEWART: Baptism: January 19, 1808, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland. Lived to be over 84 years old (note from Rev. Alex's letter) Not confirmed - may be from Balemartin, wife Cath MacLeod, and child Ann baptised Feb. 23, 1834.
v. JOHN STEWART, b. 1810.
Notes for JOHN STEWART: Not confirmed - may have been a crofter in Balemartin, wife Ann Lomont, married in July 4, 1838. Baptism: July 26, 1810, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland
vi. LACHLAN STEWART, b. 1812.
Notes for LACHLAN STEWART: Not confirmed - 1841 census listed as residing with Alexander in Badamastin Baptism: October 14, 1812, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland
4. vii. HUGH STEWART, b. 1814, Tiree, Scotland.
viii. ARCHIBALD STEWART, b. 1818.
Notes for ARCHIBALD STEWART: Possibly - Rev. Alex wrote that his father was the oldest of 7 sons. Archibald would have the 8th - may have died young. Baptism: November 04, 1818, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland.
Generation No. 3
3. ALEXANDER3 STEWART (JOHN2, ALEXANDER1) was born April 01, 1802 in Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland, and died July 27, 1872 in Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland. He married MARY SINCLAIR March 05, 1834 in Balephuill, Isle of Tiree, Scotland, daughter of ALEXANDER SINCLAIR and MARY MCNEILL. She was born April 05, 1809 in Balephuill, Isle of Tiree, Scotland, and died Abt. 1869 in Isle of Tiree, Scotland.
More About ALEXANDER STEWART: Baptism: April 01, 1802, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland Occupation: Shoemaker
Notes for MARY SINCLAIR: Died of smallbox. Baptism: April 05, 1809, Balephuill, Isle of Tiree, Scotland
Children of ALEXANDER STEWART and MARY SINCLAIR are:
5. i. JOHN4 STEWART, b. January 06, 1835; d. 1925.
6. ii. MARGARET STEWART, b. 1837, Balemartean, Isle of Tiree,Argyll, Scotland; d. 1878, Glasglow, Scotland.
iii. ARCHIBALD STEWART, b. 1840; d. March 11, 1860.
7. iv. ALEXANDER SINCLAIR STEWART, REV., b. April 1847, Balemartean, Isle of Tiree,Argyll, Scotland; d. November 17, 1934, Montague, PEI.
v. HECTOR STEWART, b. Abt. 1850; d. February 26, 1916.
Notes for HECTOR STEWART: Never married.
vi. CATHERINE STEWART, b. Abt. 1852; d. Bef. 1931.
Notes for CATHERINE STEWART: May have died young.
vii. NEIL STEWART, b. Abt. 1856; d. Bef. 1931.
Notes for NEIL STEWART: May have died young..
4. HUGH3 STEWART (JOHN2, ALEXANDER1) was born 1814 in Tiree, Scotland. He married GRACE MCFARLANE 1838 in Iona. She was born 1814 in Tiree, Scotland.
Notes for HUGH STEWART: Had eight children all born in Iona including twins John and Ann and Sarah Sinclair Stewart Baptism: December 26, 1814, Cornaibeg, Isle of Tiree, Scotland Occupation: Shoemaker
Child of HUGH STEWART and GRACE MCFARLANE is:
8. i. SARAH SINCLAIR4 STEWART, b. 1848, Iona.
Generation No. 4
5. JOHN4 STEWART (ALEXANDER3, JOHN2, ALEXANDER1) was born January 06, 1835, and died 1925.
More About JOHN STEWART: Baptism: March 23, 1835
Child of JOHN STEWART is:
i. MARY5 STEWART, d. Bef. 1931, Kilmolvay, Tiree, Scotland.
6. MARGARET4 STEWART (ALEXANDER3, JOHN2, ALEXANDER1) was born 1837 in Balemartean, Isle of Tiree,Argyll, Scotland, and died 1878 in Glasglow, Scotland. She married ALEXANDER CAMERON December 10, 1863 in Salen, Argyllshire, son of ANGUS CAMERON and SARAH MCPHAIL. He was born 1838 in Aharacle, Scotland, and died Bef. 1909 in Scotland.
Marriage Notes for MARGARET STEWART and ALEXANDER CAMERON: from FHL Film #294, 926, page 2
Marriage Certificate No. 3
Alexander Cameron, age 25, shepherd, residence Glen Aros, son of Angus Cameron, wood forester, and Sarah McPhail and Margaret Stewart, age 21, spinster, residence Salan, daughter of Alexander Stewart, shoemaker, and Mary Sinclair were married 10 December 1863 at Slan, Argyllshire
-- Church of Scotland registered Dec. 10, 1863 at Salan. Witness: Alexander Stewart
Children of MARGARET STEWART and ALEXANDER CAMERON are:
i. DUGALD5 CAMERON, b. June 1866; d. July 1910.
ii. ALEXANDER CAMERON, b. December 1873; d. May 1901.
iii. ANGUS CAMERON, b. August 1870.
iv. HECTOR CAMERON, b. August 1878.
7. ALEXANDER SINCLAIR4 STEWART, REV. (ALEXANDER3, JOHN2, ALEXANDER1) was born April 1847 in Balemartean, Isle of Tiree,Argyll, Scotland, and died November 17, 1934 in Montague, PEI. He married ISABELLA MCCOLL November 29, 1872 in Newslandsfield, Parish of Cathcart, Renfrewshire Scotland, daughter of DUGALL MCCOLL and ELIZABETH CAMPBELL. She was born September 02, 1850 in Appin, Argyll, Scotland, and died May 02, 1917 in Valleyfield, PEI.
Notes for ALEXANDER SINCLAIR STEWART, REV.: Belonged to the Stewart Clan of Appin. Came to Canada in 1874.
Educated in Glasglow University, Scotland in Arts and was ordained in March 25, 1879 with a Doctorate of Divinity from Pine Hill College, Halifax, NS
The churches he served:
Mar 1879 - Jan 1887 St. John's Presbyterian Church, Belfast
1887-1888 West and Clyde Rivers,
1889-1892 Burns Church, Mosa, Ontario
1893-1904 Woodville (probably Wood Islands),
1905-1906 Strathalbyrn ,
Also went to Queens University.
Source: Maritime Conference Archives, Walkington's Presbyterian Ministers 1875-1925
Full names, birth dates & places of children from Baptismal Register, St. John's Presbyterian Church, Belfast, PEI 1853-1977, FHL film #1, 630, 107. Elizabeth Campbell Stewart was baptized as Bessie Campbell Stewart. All children # 1 to #5 were baptized the same day Jan 6, 1887.
Was there an older son Alex who died young? Alexander born July 19, 1873?
More About ALEXANDER SINCLAIR STEWART, REV.: Burial: Wood Islands, PEI Occupation: Minister
More About ISABELLA MCCOLL: Burial: Wood Islands, PEI
Marriage Notes for ALEXANDER STEWART and ISABELLA MCCOLL: from FHL film #300, 228 page 23
Marriage Certificate No. 46
Alexander Stewart, age 25, 8 Anderson Street, Glasgow, Joiner (journeyman), bachelor, son of Alexander Stewart, shoemaker, and Mary Sinclair and Isabella McColl, age 23, spinster, 26 Buckingham Terrace, Hillhead, daughter of Dugall McColl, joiner, and Elizabeth Campbell were married 29 November 1872 at Newslandsfield, Parish of Cathcart, Renfrewshire after banns according to form of the established Church of Scotland.
Witness: Hugh McPhail
Registered December 2, 1872 at Cathcart.
Children of ALEXANDER STEWART and ISABELLA MCCOLL are:
i. DUGALD MCCOLL5 STEWART, b. July 30, 1874, Glasglow, Scotland; d. December 21, 1965; m. KATHRYN NIMLIN; b. March 03, 1876, Glasglow, Scotland; d. July 21, 1965.
More About DUGALD MCCOLL STEWART: Burial: Wood Islands, PEI Occupation: Farmer
More About KATHRYN NIMLIN: Burial: Wood Islands, PEI
ii. MARY SINCLAIR STEWART, b. April 30, 1876, Pictou, Nova Scotia; d. 1947.
Notes for MARY SINCLAIR STEWART: Never married. Kept house for her father. Burial: Wood Islands, PEI
iii. ELIZABETH (BESSIE) CAMPBELL STEWART, b. September 28, 1878, Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada; d. 1957; m. DR DONALD CRAWFORD.
iv. JOHN HECTOR STEWART, b. February 26, 1881, Belfast, P.E.I.; d. September 23, 1936, Arizona, USA.
Notes for JOHN HECTOR STEWART: Carved a table and it won first prize and is in Buckingham Palace. Never married. In California in 1934 Burial: Wood Islands, PEI Occupation: Carver
v. GEORGE M. GRANT STEWART, b. February 12, 1885, Belfast, P.E.I.; d. 1951.
Notes for GEORGE M. GRANT STEWART: Never married. Burial: Wood Islands, PEI
vi. ISABELLA STEWART, b. March 03, 1888, West River, P.E.I.; m. FRANK W. LESLIE, Magdalene Islands, Quebec, Canada.
Notes for ISABELLA STEWART: Had 7 sons and 3 daughters..
8. SARAH SINCLAIR4 STEWART (HUGH3, JOHN2, ALEXANDER1) was born 1848 in Iona. She married ADAM DOUGLAS BROWN.
Notes for SARAH SINCLAIR STEWART: Sarah was working in service in Ayrshire near to Culzean Castle where she met and married Adam Douglas Brown. They then moved to a small village outside of Glasgow
Child of SARAH STEWART and ADAM BROWN is:
i. ADAM DOUGLAS5 BROWN.