The following transcription was posted on the SCT-ISLE OFMULL-L@rootsweb.com mailing list by Jill Elizabeth DAKIN. It is reproduced here with Jill's permission. Thank you, Jill.
On my recent trip to Mull I recorded as many Monumental inscriptions as I could, but can't guarantee that there aren't errors in some of the dates. Many stones were so weathered that numbers were difficult to decipher, but I did the best I could in a very limited time frame.
Jill Elizabeth DakinThese are from Scoor (Kilvickeon) cemetery, which is a very old graveyard some 2 - 3 miles south of Bunessan. James McKean of the Bunessan Historical Society took me up there and helped me with place names. Some of the oldest gravestones were impossible to read, so don't despair if you don't find one you are looking for.
- In the memory of DONALD MCPHAIL, late tenant Ardtun, who died 1 April 1857 aged 66 years, ISABELLA ROSE, his spouse who died 18 November 1851 aged 44 years, also their daughter CATHERINE MCPHAIL, who died 6 June 1849, aged 26 years. Erected by their sons JOHN, LACHLAN, and DONALD. JOHN MACPHAIL died 19 February 1929, his wife MARY MCKECHNIE died 29 March, 1955.
- Under this stone is entombed the remains of DUGALD CAMPBELL of Glenamarghie, friend husband and indulgent parent, a sincere kind and hospitable landlord, an honest man and an upright Christian. He lived beloved and esteemed by all. At the age of 68 and in the year 1769, he died very much and very justly regreted. This in testimony of conjugal affection has been erected by ANNA CAMPBELL daughter to ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL of Balimore his mournful relict.
- Here lyeth the corpse of ALEXANDER, ISABELLA, BARBARA CAMPBELL, children to DUGALD CAMPBELL, Glenamachie and to ANNA CAMPBELL, daughter to ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL of Ballimore, his spouse.
- Erected in loving memory of FLORA MCKINNON, wife of DUNCAN SMITH who died in Glasgow 17 July 1890, aged 37 years.
- Erected by NEIL MCKINNON Erskine, Ferry Clyde, in memory of his father, CHARLES MCKINNON who died 7 October 1876 aged 82.
- Erected by HUGH MCARTHUR, in loving memory of his father DONALD MCARTHUR, who died at Ardchavaig, February 1865, and of his grandfather, DUGALD MCARTHUR; his grandmother MARY MCARTHUR, and their daughter ANNIE. May the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace in God's name.
- In loving memory of DUNCAN MACFARLANE 1845 - 1939; Also his wife HERSEY MACARTHUR 1854 - 1927; and their sons, ANGUS 1889 - 1968; ARCHIBALD 1879 - 1969; CHARLES 1892 - 1974; DUNCAN 1896 - 1976.
- In loving memory of DUNCAN MACKINNON, died 1852; his wife MAY CAMPBELL, died 1886; their son ROBERT, died 26 April 1935; also his wife, FLORA MACDOUGALL, died 26 December 1936.
- In memory of ARCHIBALD MACLEAN, who died at Saorphin, 23 July 1893 aged 83 years
- In memory of ANGUS MCNIVEN, tenant Ardachy, who died 15 January 1893, aged 89 years, and of his wife MARION FERGUSSON, who died 27 March 1884, aged 70 years. Erected by their son JOHN, tenant of Ardachy, Fidden and Pottie. John MCNIVEN, farmer Ardfenaig, Knockvologan and Pottie. Also Ormigate and Bornish Sth. Uist, died at Edinburgh 20 August 1909, aged 74 years.
- In memory of our beloved parents:
HECTOR MACPHAIL died at Potiea 18 April 1880; MARY MACINTYRE died at Potiea 18 September 1909 aged 86; also their son HUGH who died in infancy; their daughter JULIA, wife of JOHN FLEMING died at Glindaruel, 17 May 1901 and buried Kilmodan; MARY WALLS died 25 May 1950, aged 92.
- In memory of JOHN MACGILLIVRAY, Erraid died 18 October 1920, aged 87 years. His wife ANN MACPHAIL, died 1 September 1913, aged 91. Also their family MARY died 15 January 1906, interred at Old Monkland; JOHN, died 3 September 1919; HECTOR, died 1 April 1922; HUGH, died 8 July 1945; DUNCAN, died 27 October 1955, interred in Edinburgh; CATHERINE, died 13 December 1965.
- In loving memory of my dear mother, MARION MACLEAN, wife of WILLIAM WHYTE who died at Scoor, 26 January 1909, aged 74 years. Also the above WILLIAM WHYTE, who died 4 April 1913, aged 79 years. ALEXANDER WHYTE, died 12 May 1947; ANN WHYTE, died 1 March 1955.
- DUNCAN MACLEAN, Ardtun, who died 23 July 1907, aged 84 years. Also of ANNIE MACFARLANE, died 3 September 1908, aged 70 years, and their sons: NEIL MACLEAN, who died 8 June 1954, aged 84 years; ARCHIBALD MACLEAN, who died 1 January 1973, aged 92 years.
- In loving memory of our dear father:
MALCOLM MACDOUGAL, who died 3 January 1940. Also our mother, ANNE BEATON, died 10th August 1951; Son, NEIL LAMONT etc. (includes other modern burials)
- In loving memory of ARCHIBALD MACDONALD, Cartwright, who died at Tiraghoil on 9 August 1906, aged 90 years.
- In loving memory of CATHERINE MCDONALD, who died 9 April 1895, aged 68 years. Also her father and mother, DOUGALD MACDONALD, died 1 January 1864; FLORA MCINTYRE, died 1 January 1858; FLORA MACDONALD, died 1 October 1950 aged 83 years. Also their daughter CATHERINE MCFADYEN, who died 28 April 1979, aged 78 years.
- In loving memory of WILLIAM MACCALLUM who died at Ardfenaig, 29 February 1924, aged 52 years.
- Erected by MARY MCCALLUM, Bunessan, in loving memory of her husband ARCHIBALD MCCALLUM, died 4 August 1925. Also her sister FLORA CAMPBELL, who died 10 March 1940.
- Erected by CHRISTINA MACPHERSON, in loving memory of her husband, DONALD MCCORMICK, who died at Barecheigh, Ross of Mull, 14th December 1914, aged 53 years.
- A. MCK 1813
- In memoriam REVD ROBERT STEWART, Minister of Kilfinichen, died aged 86 years.
- To the memory of NICOL MCINTYRE, late tenant in Ardalanish, who died 1791, aged 67 years, and MARRION MCLEAN, his wife who died .... aged 68 years. This stone is placed upon their graves as a token of esteem and respect by their grateful children, 1827. Also their children DONALD MCINTYRE, Writer, Glasgow, and DUNCAN MCINTYRE, Esq. of Burg, Tenant of Ardallanish and Knockvologan. MARY MCLEAN, his wife, and their children NICOL, NEIL, ALEXANDER, DONALD, the last of whom died January 1893.
Jill (in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia)