Submitted by Hazel Maclaren - firstname.lastname@example.org
There are additional generations of this family to share. Please direct Queries and requests for source information to the email link above!
The Descendants of Barnett Wilt and Barbara Hilpert
Barnett Wilt was the only Wilt to settle on P.E.I. He was brought here in the early 1820's as a ship's carpenter to make wooden pumps and funnels for wooden ships during the ship building era on P.E.I. His main claim to fame was his chairmaking . His chairs [Windsor style] are still collected and sought after today. He taught his son William and his gandsons, John and Hughie and his son in law William Bachilder the chair making trade [three generations of Wilt chairmakers]. His wife Barbara was the daughter of Johan Hilpert a Hessian soldier stationed in Halfax during the British American War 1812. They were married that same year in Halifax and had nine children at least two were born in N.S. They settled on one hundred acres of leasehold land in Little River [Howe Bay] Lot 56.
1. Barnett Wilt, b. circa 1790. He married Barbara Hilpert, married July, 12, 1812 in Halifax, b. Sept 11 1791 in Dutch Town , Halifax N.S., d. before,1880. Barnett died 1880 in Lot 56 Little River P.E.I. [Will of Barnett Wilt]
2. i William Wilt b. 1819.
3. ii Charlotte Sophia Wilt b. 1818.
4. iii Mary Ann Wilt b. circa 1824.
5. iv Sarah "Sara" Wilt b. 1825.
6. v Maria Wilt b. Feb 2,1836.
vi Edward Wilt, b. 1832. d. after 1901 in Charlottetown.
vii John Wilt, b. 1834 in Lot 56 P.E.I., d. 1849 in Drowned in Blacketts Creek age15.
viii James Wilt, b. 1838 in Lot 56 P.E..1., d. 1849 in Drowned Blacketts Creek age 11.
ix Melinda Wilt ??? not confirmed No information.
2. William Wilt, b. 1819 in Nova Scotia. He married Susan Decoste, b. 1829 in Annandale, d. after 1891 in Lot 43. William died after 1901census in Prince Eward Island.
7. i Louisa Wilt b. about 1846.
8. ii John Wilt b. May 24, 1852.
9. iii Harriet Wilt b. 1859.
iv Betsy Wilt, b. before 1855-60 in Lot 56 P.E.I. She married Peter Lawless, married 1879 in Annandale, b. circa 1855- 1860 in Little River P.E.I Lot 56.
10. v Elizabeth Wilt b. 1868.
3. Charlotte Sophia Wilt, b. 1818 in Dutch Town Halifax.co N.S. She married Jacob Whitman, married 1842, b. 1821 in Canso N.S.
i Martha Whitman, b. 1848 in Canso N.S.
ii Clement St.Clair Whitman, b. 1846 in Canso N.S.
iii Emma j Whitman, b. 1861 in Canso N.S.
iv Charlotte Whitman, b. 1876 in Canso N.S.
v Levi Whitman, b. 1848 in Canso N.S.
vi Sarah Whitman, b. 1854 in Canso N.S., d. 1870 in Canso N.S.
4. Mary Ann Wilt, b. circa 1824 in N.S. She married GeorgeLewis, married June 6, 1846 in PE.I. Canada, b. 1790 in England, d. 1860 in Will County Illinois U.S.A. Mary died 1894 in Boone County Iowa U.S.A.
i Elizabeth Lewis, b. 1844.
ii Mary A, Lewis, b. 1845.
iii William Lewis, b. 1848.
iv Maria Lewis, b. Apr.23 ,1852.
v Sarah Lewis, b. Feb 14 1854.
vi George Lewis, b. Aug 13 1856.
vii Charlotte Lewis, b. Mar,14 1853.
5. Sarah "Sara" Wilt, b. 1825 in P.E.I. d. 1880's in Lot 56 P.E.I.
11. i Hugh Wilt b. 1848.
12. ii Elizabeth Betsy Wilt] b. Jan 6 1841.
6. Maria Wilt, b. Feb,2,1836 in Little River P.E.I., baptized Mar,6 1837. She married Daniel Blackett, married Mar 1865 in Georgetown, b. 1846 in Annandale P.E.I. Maria died in Little Pond P.E.I.
13. i William Levi Blackett b. 01-10,1867.
14. ii Caroline Blackett.
15. iii Barnett Blackett b. 1871.
16. iv Elsebie Blackett.
17. v Daniel Domast Blackett.
7. Louisa Wilt, b. about 1846 in Lot 56 PE.I. She married #1, ? Howlett, #2 William Batchilder. Louisa died 1928 in Georgetown.
i William Howlett.
18. ii John Batchilder b. 1884.
19. iii Reginald Batchilder b. 1885.
20. iv Mary Batchilder b. 1888.
21. v Ada Batchilder b. 1887.
22. vi James Batchilder b. 1889.
23. vii Irene Batchilder.
viii Vincent Batchilder, b. in Georgetown, d. 18 mos in Georgetown.
ix Edison Batchilder, b. in Georgetown, d. age 3 years in Georgetown.
8. John Wilt, b. May 24, 1852 in Lot 56 P.E.I. He married Alice Batchilder, b. 1863 in Annandale, d. 1948 in buried in Bay Fortune Cemetary. John died 1932 in buried Bay Fortune cemetary.
i Ada Jane Wilt, b. 1879 in Lot 56 P.E.I. She married James Higgins, b. 1872 in U.S.A., d. 1963 in buried in Bay Fortune Cemetary. Ada died 1949 in buried in Bay Fortune Cemetary.
ii Harry Wilt Pius Bedford adopted, b. Feb 12 1893, d. in U.S.A.
9. Harriet Wilt, b. 1859 in Lot 56 P.E.I., baptized in . She married Peter Brown, b. 1841 in Red House, P.E.I. , d. 1936 in Fortune. Harriet died 1932 in Lot 56 P.E.I.
24. i Jane.C /Mary /Emma J. Brown b. 12-16-1878.
ii Florence Brown, b. 07-10-1880 in Red House Lot 56. She married John Piader? Pyder?, married in U.S.A., b. in Czecoslovakia , Europe, d. in U.S.A. Florence died in U.S.A.
25. iii William Brown b. 04-01-1882.
26. iv Charles Brown b. O6-31-1885.
27. v Gertrude 'Gertie' Minnie Brown b. 02-07-1888.
28. vi John Albert Brown b. 12-22-1890.
vii Joseph Brown, b. about 1892, d. in died in infancy.
29. viii Ida Mae Brown b. 08-14-1894.
10. Elizabeth Wilt, b. 1868 in Lot 56 P.E.I. She married #1, Daniel Croucher, #2 ? Harding, married Abt 1885, b. 1842 in N.S. Elizabeth died in Souris.
i William G Croucher, b. 1896.
ii John A Croucher, b. 1896.
30. iii Charles 'Harold' Croucher b. July 16,1892.
iv Alfred Harding, b. in Neufrage P.E.I.
11. Hugh Wilt, b. 1848 in Lot 56 P.E.I. He married Lucy Blackett, married July 16-1872, b. 1848 in Little River Lot 56, baptized Aug 15 1849 in St. Georges Roman Catholic Church, d. 07-17-1896 in Fortune Lot 56. Hugh died 1915 in Fortune.
i John James Frederick Fred Wilt, b. 1873 in Lot 56 P.E.I. d. in USA.
ii William 'Barnet 'Wilt, b. 1874 in Lot 56 Fortune, d. in U,S,A,.
iii Melinda Wilt, b. 1876 in Lot 56 Fortune. She married #1, Percy Watts, #2 William "Billy "Richards, b. in #1Watts, U.S.A. .#2 Richards.Souris, d. in Souris. Melinda died in Souris.
iv Sarah A. Wilt, b. 1878 in Lot 56 Fortune. She married Edward Gallant, b. in Souris, d. in Souris. Sarah died about 1970 in Charlottetown.
v Charles Issiah Wilt, b. 1881 in Lot 56 Fortune, d. in infancy.
vi Margaret Ann 'Lavinia" Wilt, b. Apr-5-1884 in Lot 56 Fortune, baptized oct-18--1884 in St Margarets, d. age 8-MAY 14 1892 in St, Margarets.
31. vii Charles Elbert Wilt b. 1887.
viii Bridget Elizabeth, baptized 1885.
12. Elizabeth Betsy Wilt], b. Jan 6 1841 in Little River P.E.I. d. after 1901 in Lot 43 P.E.I.[ Fortune].
i John C Power Son of Nicholas Power, b. about 1865 in Little River P.E. I. Lot 56]. He married Annie Glennon, married in U.S.A., b. 1872 in U.S.A., d. 1935 in U.S.A. John died 1934 in U.S.A.
ii Maria Wilt, b. 1870 in Little River P.E.I. Lot 56.
iii John F, Wilt, b. 1879 in Little River P.E.I. Lot 56, Must have died as a small child.
13. William Levi Blackett, b. 01-10,1867. He married Maggie Jane Williams, married 1896.
i Leamond Blackett, b. 1897.
ii Henry B Blackett, b. 1899.
iii Alfred Blackett.
iv Maurice Blackett.
v Russell Blackett.
vi Charles Blackett.
14. Caroline Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I. She married George Lutz, married 1893 in Little Pond P.E.I., b. 1869 in Bay Fortune P.E.I.
i George Lutz Jr,, b. 1899. He married Jennie Welsh, b. in Little River P.E.I., d. in Montague P..E.I.
ii Daniel Lutz. He married Marion ?.
iii William Lutz, b. 1893. He married Janie Roach.
iv Charles Lutz. He married ? Gregory.
v Mariah Maude Lutz, b. 1895. She married Warren Mackenzie, married in Bay Fortune P.E.I., b. 1875 in Bay Fortune P.E.I.
vi Effie Lutz, b. 1886. She married Alan Al Blaisdell, b. 1886 in Red House, P.E.I.
vii Myra Lutz, b. 1923. She married Nelson Squires, b. 1900 in Greenwich, P.E.I.
viii Caroline Lutz, b. in Howe Bay P.E.I., d. died young in Howe Bay, P.E.I.
15. Barnett Blackett, b. 1871. He married Mary Belle MacDonald.
i Herbert Blackett, b. 1895. He married Minnie Macdonald.
ii Mary Jane Blackett, b. 1897. She married John Gideon Geddie Blaisdell, b. in Red House, P.E.I.
iii Robert Blackett, b. 1893.
16. Elsebie Blackett, b. in Annandale P.E.I. She married Edward Jeffery, married 1899, b. in Annandale P.E.I. Elsebie died in Annandale P.E.I.
i Olive Jeffery, b. in Annandale P.E.I. She married William "Billy' Taylor, b. in Strathcona P.e.i., d. in Montague P.E.I. Olive died in Montague P.E.I.
ii Eva Jeffery, b. in Annandale P.E.I.
iii Melvina Jeffery, b. in Annandale P.E.I.
iv Temple Seamore Jeffery, b. in Annandale P.E.I., d. in Annandale P.E.I.
17. Daniel Domast Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I. He married (1), Eliza Steele mother of first 3 children, married 1906. He married (2), Marie Savidant 10 children.
i Munsy Blackett unmarried, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
ii Martha Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I. She married ? Mosher.
iii Margurite Blackett.
iv Bertha Mae Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
v Daniel [D.D.[ Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
vi Mable Blackett, b. 1932 in Little Pond P.E.I. She married Arthur "Roy" Brown, b. 1926 in Dingwells Mills, (son of William Brown and Mary Jane Cheverie) baptized in U.C, d. 2002 [cancer] Interred in Bay Fortune U.C. cemetary. Mable died 1990 [cancer].
vii Ross Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
viii Joyce Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
ix William " Bill " Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
x Milton Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
xi Caroline Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
xii Lloyd Blackett, b. in Little Pond PEI.
xiii Harris Blackett, b. in Little Pond P.E.I.
18. John Batchilder, b. 1884. He married (1) Phebie Gallant.
19. Reginald Batchilder, b. 1885. He married Tillie 'Matilda ?' Gallant.
20. Mary Batchilder, b. 1888. She married Peter Soloman.
21. Ada Batchilder, b. 1887. She married Frank Soloman.
22. James Batchilder, b. 1889. He married #1, Mariah Fraser,#2 Julia Martell.
23. Irene Batchilder, b. in Georgetown. She married William Fouchere.
24. Jane.C /Mary /Emma J. Brown, b. 12-16-1878 in RedHouse P.E,.I. She married Joseph Burke, b. in Lot 45 near Souris P.E.I. Jane.C died in Souris P.E.I.
25. William Brown, b. 04-01-1882 in Red House, P.E.I. He married Mary Jane Cheverie, b. 1888 in New Zeland P.E.I., d. 1942 in buried Bay Fortune cemetary. William died 1977 in buried Bay Fortune Cemetary.
26. Charles Brown, b. O6-31-1885 in Red House.P.E.I. He married Agnes Sophia Cheverie, b. 1891 in New Zeland P.E.I, d. 1984 Interred in Little Pond R.C. cemetary. Charles died 1979 Interred in Little Pond R.C. cemetary.
27. Gertrude 'Gertie' Minnie Brown, b. 02-07-1888 in Red House, P.E.I. She married #1, William Donovan, #2 ? McInnis. Gertrude died in Cardigan P.E.I.
i Willimina "Dyola "Donovan, b. 1914 in Charlottetown, baptized in R.C. She married Emile Theodore Doiron. Willimina died 05-06-1952 in Mass.U,S,A,.
ii Margurite"Corilla "Donovan, b. in Charlottetown. She married ? McCabe. Margurite "Corilla" died in Charlottetown.
28. John Albert Brown, b. 12-22-1890 in Dingwells Mills. He married Lena Malone, b. 1888 in Souris, d. 1970 Interred in in Georgrtown R.C. cemetary. John died 01-03-1958 Interred in in Bay Fortune U.C. Cemetary.
29. Ida Mae Brown, b. 08-14-1894 in Red House, P.E.I. She married Charles Elbert Wilt, married May 3 1916, b. 1887 in Lot 56 P.E.I., (son of Hugh Wilt and Lucy Blackett) d. 1970 Interred in Bay Fortune Cemetary. Ida died 1964 Interred in Bay Fortune Cemetary.
i Frederick Willis Wilt, b. april 11 1917 in Fortune. He married Violet Rice, b. in St Mary's Road, d. 1995. Frederick died 1995 Interred in Bay Fortune U.C.cemetary.
ii Winslow Charles Wilt, b. 1919 in Fortune. He married Myrtle Sanderson, b. abt 1926 in Greenwitch P.E.I. Winslow died in Montague.
iii Stanley Lawrence Wilt, b. 1920 in Fortune. He married Hazel Steele, b. in Souris P.E.I., d. Interred in Peoples Cemetary Ch'town. Stanley died 1980 Interred in Bay Fortune U.C.cemetery.
iv Lucy Jane Wilt, b. 1923 in Fortune. She married (1) #1, Duncan Blaisdell, married 1939, b. abt 1899 in Red House Lot 56, d. 1941 Interred in Dundas [ACORN] Cemetery. She married (2), Vernon Wiliam Davidson, married 1945, b. April 11 1900 in Fortune Bridge, d. 1971 Interred in Bay Fortune cemetery. Lucy died 1998 Interred in Bay Fortune U.C. cemetery.
v Evelyn Jean Wilt, b. 1925 in Fortune, d. 1941 bicycle accident and interred Bay Fortune U.C. cemetery.
vi Harriet Mae Wilt, b. 1926 in Fortune, d. 1943 [ diptheria] Interred in Bay Fortune U.C. cemetery.
vii Beatrice Wilt, b. 09-23-1929 in Fortune Lot 56. She married H.Nelson Brown, married abt 1950, b. 03-03-1923 in Dingwells Mills, (son of William Brown and Mary Jane Cheverie). Beatrice died 08-24-1990 [cancer] Interred in Bay Fortune U.C. cemetary.
30. Charles 'Harold' Croucher, b. July 16,1892. He married Violet Hayter, b. Dec 12,1899.
31. Charles Elbert Wilt, (See marriage to number 29.)