Submitted by - Carol Hattaway - firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol has number of additional generations of this family to share and please direct Queries to the email link above! Much of the following information was taken from the book "By the Old Mill Stream" plus some additional family lines submitted by Barlow descendants.Carol is also looking for information on the Nelson family.
The Descendants of John Barlow and Elizabeth Wallace
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 BARLOW was born 1808 in Millingham Suffolk County England, and died 1894. He married ELIZABETH WALLACE 1833, daughter of John Wallace and Sarah Stapley.
Notes: John Barlow, Esq., was born in 1808 in Milingham, Suffolk County, England and came to Prince Edward Island in 1832. He settled on uncleared land in Lot 12 now known as Ellerlie. He cleared the land for a farm. He built a house and a mill there.
After John's first wife died on April 4, 1857 at age 43, he remarried in 1858 or 1859 to Flora Ramsay MacAusland, wife of the late Samuel MacAusland. She was born in 1806 and the mother of four or more children: Jane, Crawford, Mary Jane, Samuel. John then became father, stepfather and later father in law to some of his childrens' spouses. He sold his farm in 1958 to James Barclay and purchased a farm and mills in Wellington, then known as the Quagmire, in December 1859 for 810 pounds. He again cleared land in the wilderness and built large mills as well as a huge house across the roads from the mills known as the "Barlow Mansion."
John and Flora have 2 children: John who went to Maine USA and Sarah married John MacAusland of Tyne Valley, PEI. John died October 14, 1894 at age 86. He is buried with Elizabeth in Bideford United Church Cemetery. Flora died in August, 1898, age 92.
John Barlow and his sons upgraded the mills until they were the finest and largest on PEI. There was a grist mill for making flour, a carding mill for making rolls of wool that could be spun into yarn, a cloth mill and a saw mill. A number of people were employed there. Water power was used by building a dam and also steam by the use of large boilers. There was also a shingle mill for sawing shingles as well as a lathe machine.
John Barlow gave his mills to his son, William, in his will probated Nov. 24, 1894. William's son, Bruce, played a large role in the running of the mills. He continued to upgrade them and mortgaged them until they were finally sold for the mortgage. Bruce was not careful and overspent in more ways than one putting the mills in debt.
John Barlow built Wellington so to speak. He brought businesses there and settlers. He employed people at the mills. He was instrumental in getting the railroad to go through Wellington. It, too, is now gone. He owned most of the land and sold it to business people or settlers. He was really the founder of Wellington.
Children of John Barlow and Elizabeth Wallace are:
2. i. WILLIAM2 BARLOW, b. 1834, Ellerslie Prince Edward Island; d. 1912.
3. ii. GEORGE BARLOW, b. 1844; d. 1932.
iii. FRANCES BARLOW, m. CRAWFORD MACAUSLAND.
iv. MARY ANN BARLOW, m. JOHN TAYLOR.
v. NANCY BARLOW, m. CAIRNS.
4. vi. JAMES BARLOW.
vii. ELIZABETH BARLOW, m. SAMUEL MACAUSLAND.
Generation No. 2
2. WILLIAM2 BARLOW (JOHN1) was born 1834 in Ellerslie Prince Edward Island, and died 1912. He married (1) JANE MACAUSLAND OR MCAUSLIN, daughter of Samuel MacAusland and Flora Ramsey. He married (2) JANE MACKENZIE PLESTID August 02, 1899.
Notes: William lived with his family in the Barlow homestead and operated the mills after his father's death.
Children of William Barlow and Jane McAuslin are:
5. i. BRUCE3 BARLOW.
6. ii. JOHN ARCHIBALD BARLOW, b. 1863.
7. iii. SAMUEL BARLOW, b. July 25, 1867; d. March 02, 1948.
iv. DAN BARLOW, d. drowned age 9.
8. v. ELIZABETH BARLOW.
9. vi. SARAH BARLOW.
10. vii. CAROLINE BARLOW.
11. viii. WILLIAM H BARLOW, b. February 13, 1874; d. March 17, 1972.
12. ix. DAMARIS MAUDE BARLOW, b. Prince Edward Island; d. Newton, Massachusetts.
3. GEORGE2 BARLOW (JOHN1) was born 1844, and died 1932. He married HANNAH TAYLOR October 1869.
Children of George Barlow and Hannah Taylor are:
13. i. ROBERT TWEED3 BARLOW.
ii. JANE BARLOW, m. FRED MACAUSLAND.
iii. IDA BARLOW, m. JAMES BURLEIGH.
iv. LUCY BARLOW.
v. EMMA GRACE BARLOW, m. JOHN G. CAMPBELL.
vi. LINA BARLOW.
14. vii. GEORGE JUNIOR BARLOW, b. 1878; d. 1948.
4. JAMES2 BARLOW (JOHN1). He married MARY JANE MACAUSLAND January 09, 1883.
Children of James Barlow and Mary MacAusland are:
i. GREETA3 BARLOW.
ii. ETHEL BARLOW.
iii. GRANVILLE BARLOW.
iv. ORVILLE BARLOW.
Generation No. 3
5. BRUCE3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married (1) JOHANNA MORESHEAD. He married (2) LAURA BLAKENEY.
Notes: Bruce and Joanna had two other children who died young and are buried in Union Corner.
Children of Bruce Barlow and Johanna Moreshead are:
15. i. STERLING4 BARLOW.
ii. MARIE BARLOW, m. (1) EARL PETERS; m. (2) EDWARD MARLOWE.
16. iii. WILLINA BARLOW.
iv. DIED YOUNG BARLOW.
Children of Bruce Barlow and Laura Blakeney are:
17. v. HELENA4 BARLOW.
vi. BLANCE BARLOW, m. SPURGEON DAY.
6. JOHN ARCHIBALD3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 1863. He married (1) NELLIE DYMENT. He married (2) ALICE CONNELL.
Notes: John Archibald (Archie) died August 4, 1940 at age 77 and is buried in Union Corner United Church Cemetery.
Children of John Barlow and Nellie Dyment are:
i. SPURGEON4 BARLOW.
ii. HENRY BARLOW.
Children of John Barlow and Alice Connell are:
iii. HAROLD4 BARLOW.
iv. JAMES BARLOW.
18. v. EDNA BARLOW.
19. vi. JOHN BARLOW, d. November 10, 1940.
20. vii. CLAYTON BARLOW.
21. viii. GLADYS BARLOW (DOROTHY).
22. ix. AYLWARD BARLOW.
7. SAMUEL3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born July 25, 1867, and died March 02, 1948. He married FLORENCE BOATES September 26, 1888.
Notes: Samuel and Florence lived in Wellington. He operated the mills after he bought them when sold under the mortgage.
Children of Samuel Barlow and Florence Boates are:
i. WINNIFRED4 BARLOW, m. JOHN PERCIVAL.
23. ii. HOWARD BARLOW, d. November 15, 1960.
24. iii. JEAN BARLOW, d. February 28, 1995.
iv. HARRY BARLOW, d. Killed in France in 1918 WW1.
25. v. MATILDA BARLOW.
26. vi. JACK BARLOW, b. 1903; d. May 1967.
8. ELIZABETH3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married JAMES FERGUSON.
Children of Elizabeth Barlow and James Ferguson are:
27. i. HARRY4 FERGUSON.
ii. EDWARD FERGUSON.
28. iii. ANNIE BELL FERGUSON.
iv. BESSIE FERGUSON, m. WILLIAM ROTH.
29. v. EVA FERGUSON.
30. vi. JOHN BRUCE FERGUSON.
31. vii. LLOYD FERGUSON.
9. SARAH3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married JOSEPH FERGUSON.
Children of Sarah Barlow and Joseph Ferguson are:
i. WILLIAM4 FERGUSON.
32. ii. ZELLA MAUD FERGUSON.
33. iii. PEARL FERGUSON.
10. CAROLINE3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married THEOPHILUS NELSON.
Children of Caroline Barlow and Theophilus Nelson are:
34. i. ROBERT4 NELSON.
35. ii. GEORGE NELSON.
iii. WILLIAM NELSON, m. FRANCES BATES.
11. WILLIAM H3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born February 13, 1874, and died March 17, 1972. He married CAROLINE CAMERON May 29, 1901.
Notes: William H. worked at Barlow's Mills and as a section foreman on the railroad. He and his family lived in a house which originated as the kitchen section of the original Barlow homestead built by John Barlow Esq. It is now the Wellington Boys' and Girls' Club. Caroline died Nov. 14, 1951. William H. on March 17, 1972.
Children of William Barlow and Caroline Cameron are:
36. i. WANDA4 BARLOW.
37. ii. GERTRUDE BARLOW.
38. iii. IRA BARLOW, b. November 27, 1901.
iv. DOROTHY BARLOW, m. RUSSELL BERNARD.
12. DAMARIS MAUDE3 BARLOW (WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born in Prince Edward Island, and died in Newton, Massachusetts. She married ROBERT NELSON.
Children of Damaris Barlow and Robert Nelson are:
i. WILLIAM4 NELSON, b. Bef 1881.
39. ii. NETTIE NELSON, b. January 24, 1883, Prince Edward Island; d. April 24, 1956, Deaconness Hospital, Boston, Ma. Buried Mt. Auburn Cemetery.
13. ROBERT TWEED3 BARLOW (GEORGE2, JOHN1). He married ELIZABETH MACKENZIE.
Children of Robert Barlow and Elizabeth MacKenzie are:
i. MAMIE4 BARLOW, m. NORMAN MATHESON.
ii. HANNAH BARLOW, m. SCHOFIELD.
iii. FLORA BARLOW, m. HAROLD CLAY.
iv. IRA BARLOW, m. KAY MURCHISON.
v. JAMES BARLOW, d. killed in farm accident Nov. 1906 age 14.
40. vi. DONALD BARLOW.
14. GEORGE JUNIOR3 BARLOW (GEORGE2, JOHN1) was born 1878, and died 1948. He married EDITH MAE GILLIS.
Child of George Barlow and Edith Gillis is:
41. i. MYRTLE4 BARLOW.
Generation No. 4
15. STERLING4 BARLOW (BRUCE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married EDNA BIRCH.
Sterling Barlow and Edna Birch had 5 known children
16. WILLINA4 BARLOW (BRUCE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married BRENT WILSON.
Willina Barlow and Brent Wilson had 5 known children
17. HELENA4 BARLOW (BRUCE3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married JAMES KAY.
Helena Barlow and James Kay had 1 known child.
18. EDNA4 BARLOW (JOHN ARCHIBALD3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married JOHN COULSON.
Edna Barlow and John Coulson had 2 known children
19. JOHN4 BARLOW (JOHN ARCHIBALD3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) died November 10, 1940. He married HILDA BAGLOLE September 28, 1927.
John Barlow and Hilda Baglole had 2 known children
20. CLAYTON4 BARLOW (JOHN ARCHIBALD3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married LEONA DAY.
Clayton Barlow and Leona Day had 9 known children, including:
ix. CARL BARLOW, d. Buried in Union Center (about 1 yr. old).
21. GLADYS BARLOW4 (DOROTHY) (JOHN ARCHIBALD3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married RAY CHRISTIAN.
Gladys (Dorothy) and Ray Christian had 1 known child
22. AYLWARD4 BARLOW (JOHN ARCHIBALD3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married TILLIE ROBINSON.
Aylward Barlow and Tillie Robinson had 2 known children
23. HOWARD4 BARLOW (SAMUEL3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) died November 15, 1960. He married GREETA CLARKE.
Howard Barlow and Greeta Clarke had 7 known children, including:
i. PRESTON5 BARLOW, b. Killed in WW2; m. KAY TOWNSEND, 1943.
v. LOWELL BARLOW, d. March 13, 1976.
24. JEAN4 BARLOW (SAMUEL3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) died February 28, 1995. She married RAY MCCLURE.
Jean Barlow and Ray McClure had 1 known child
25. MATILDA4 BARLOW (SAMUEL3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married RUFUS MCLURE.
Notes: Matilda (Tillie) lived with her parents along with her husband, Rufus, and son , until he married. Matilda's mother, Florence, had rheumatism and arthritis and was crippled for 21 years. She died Dec. 31, 1959. Buried in Hillside U. Church Cemetery, Wellington. Her beloved Samuel died March 2, 1948 and is buried in Wellington. Matilda worked in the carding mill. Jack also worked in the mills and operated the saw mill until it closed. Jack died in 1967.
Matilda Barlow and Rufus McLure had 1 known child
26. JACK4 BARLOW (SAMUEL3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born 1903, and died May 1967. He married BEATRICE FERGUSON, daughter of Lloyd Ferguson and Ethel Conroy.
Jack Barlow and Beatrice Ferguson had 1 known child
27. HARRY4 FERGUSON (ELIZABETH3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married MAE LARKIN.
Harry Ferguson and Mae Larkin had 3 known children
28. ANNIE BELL4 FERGUSON (ELIZABETH3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married ALFRED BRYSON.
Annie Ferguson and Alfred Bryson had 1 known child.
29. EVA4 FERGUSON (ELIZABETH3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married WILLIAM OLIVER.
Eva Ferguson and William Oliver had 2 known children
30. JOHN BRUCE4 FERGUSON (ELIZABETH3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married RUTH BURNS.
John Ferguson and Ruth Burns had 5 known children
31. LLOYD4 FERGUSON (ELIZABETH3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married ETHEL CONROY.
Notes: Lloyd and Ethel also raised 3 grandchildren, Carol married Leonard Gallant had had 3 daughters, Randy married Leigh Currie of New Brunswick and had 2 children, Cora died at age 12.
Lloyd Ferguson and Ethel Conroy had 5 known children
32. ZELLA MAUD4 FERGUSON (SARAH3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married JAMES GASS.
Zella Ferguson and James Gass had 2 known children
33. PEARL4 FERGUSON (SARAH3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married RUSSELL BELL.
Pearl Ferguson and Russell Bell had 2 known children
34. ROBERT4 NELSON (CAROLINE3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married ELIZABETH FORSYTHE.
Robert Nelson and Elizabeth Forsythe had 1 known child
35. GEORGE4 NELSON (CAROLINE3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). He married HELEN MACKAY.
George Nelson and Helen MacKay had 3 known children
36. WANDA4 BARLOW (WILLIAM H3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married EUGENE BROOKS.
Wanda Barlow and Eugene Brooks had 7 known children
37. GERTRUDE4 BARLOW (WILLIAM H3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1). She married KEITH MACDONALD.
Gertrude Barlow and Keith MacDonald had 1 known child
38. IRA4 BARLOW (WILLIAM H3, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born November 27, 1901. He married GRACE WESCOTT December 24, 1930.
Notes: Ira bought a house from Arsenault & Gaudet, Ltd., formerly occupied by MR. and MRs. Arcaade Arsenault. Ira was a mail courier on R. R> #2 for several years,, on R. R. #1 about 5 years then a section man on the railroad until his retirement in 1967. He died August 31, 1980. Grace still resides in Wellington as of the writing of "The Old Mill Stream"
Ira Barlow and Grace Wescott had 10 known children
39. NETTIE4 NELSON (DAMARIS MAUDE3 BARLOW, WILLIAM2, JOHN1) was born January 24, 1883 in Prince Edward Island, and died April 24, 1956 in Deaconness Hospital, Boston, Ma. Buried Mt. Auburn Cemetery. She married ROBERT N BUTTERFIELD June 1904 in Probably Somervillle, MA.
Nettie Nelson and Robert Butterfield had 4 known children
40. DONALD4 BARLOW (ROBERT TWEED3, GEORGE2, JOHN1). He married HELEN ROSS.
Donald Barlow and Helen Ross had 5 known children
41. MYRTLE4 BARLOW (GEORGE JUNIOR3, GEORGE2, JOHN1). She married (1) GEORGE BROOKS. She married (2) ALBERT HISCOTT.
Myrtle Barlow and George Brooks had 3 known children, including:
BEULAH BROOKS, b. died at age 1.
Children of the last generation removed from this listing unless known to be deceased. The information may be obtained directly from Carol at the address at the top of the file!