Will of Charles Richards of Prince Edward Island (Alberry Plains)This Will sent to William Richards by his cousin Irma Richards Neufeld.
Liber 10 Folio 54TRANSCRIPTION OF CHARLES RICHARDS WILL PROVED 23 SEPT 1880 :
I Charles Richards of Alberry Plains Lot Fifty Farmer being of sound mind memory and understanding do make and publish this my last will and Testament in manner following, that is to say.
In witness whereof I the said Charles Richards have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal this twenty first day of February AD One thousand eight hundred and seventy eight. (1) I give and bequeath to my worthy daughter Louisa Davey the sum of One dollar $1.00
(2) I give and bequeath to my worthy daughter Susan Holland the sum of One dollar $1.00
(3) I give and bequeath to my dutiful daughter Mary Ann Snow the sum of One dollar $1.00
(4) I give and bequeath to my well deserving son James Richards the sum of Twenty five cents $c25
(5) I give and bequeath to my daughters Martha Richards Amelia Richards and Phobe Richards each the sum of Fifty, ten dollars as a marriage portion or as any time they wish to leave and also to have their home and living on the farm and premises wherever I live as long as they stay and assist to work thereon.
(6) (Illegible or crossed out)
(7) I give bequeath and devise to my beloved daughters Mariah Richards and Jane Richards share and share alike Ten acres of Land on the Front part of the Farm whereon I live subject to the conditions herinafter mentioned also one Fourth part of my woodland Farm at Lot 49 consisting as aforementioned of sixty acres of Land and and all and singular the a----tenances after mentioned and set forth also two cows and eight sheep or the sum of sixty dollars in cash
(8) I give bequeath and devise to my beloved sons John Richards one half the Residence of my farm whereon I live together with as right of way to the main front roads of five yards in width on the west line of my said Farm also one Fourth front of my woodland Lot 49 leaving the residence thereof the rest and residue of my Farm I also devise to my said Son John Richards after the decease of my wife on this condition that he proves himself a worthy and deserving son to his said mother, otherwise she may dispose of the same as seems best to my Executor herinafter mentioned I also give my said Son one half the residue of my Stock and Farming implements.
(9) I give bequeath and devise to my beloved wife all the rest and residence of my Farm also one half the Residue of my Stock and Farming Implements also one half the dwelling house and one half the out houses for and during her life time. I also bequeath to my ---- wife the yearly sum of Twenty dollars to be ------ on or before the First day of January on each and every year after my decease which is the condition herein mentioned and I hereby my two Sons Thomas Richards and Frederick Richards their homes as assigns to pay to her on or before the first day in each and every year during her life time the said Sum of twenty dollars
(10) I order my Executors hereinafter mentioned to make and levy of my estate within one year after my decease the several sums herein mentioned if demanded by the Parties named therein. Lastly I do hereby nominate and appoint George McMillan and Charles McMillan Executor of this my last will and Testament.
Signed sealed published and declared by the said Charles Richards -- --- --- his last will and testament in presence of us who by his request have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto in the presence of the said Testators and in presence of one another
Signed Charles Richards (his mark)
Signed Donald M-------
Charles McMillan witnesses
Whereas by my last will and Testament I recall a disposition of my Property which I now desire to alter, and I do and I do hereby by this present writing which I declare to be a codicil to my said will ------------ ---------- ---------------------------------------------- And give and bequeath to my Son Thomas Richards the 100 acres of land on lot 49 as his portion and nothing more and I also bequeath to my Son Frederick Richards 20 acres of my woodland and farm on Lot 49 And I bequeath to my Son John 20 acres of said farm on Lot 49. And I bequeath 20 acres of my woodland farm to my wife and daughters Mariah Richards and Jane Richards. Signed sealed published ------- Declared by the said Charles Richards For his last will and Testament in presence of us so hereby his request have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto in the presence of said Testator and in presence of one and all the ninth day of Feb 1880.
signed Charles Richards
Donald L. Munro
The foregoing Will and Codicil were proved on the 23rd September 1880, in the sight of Donald Munro or subs-------- Witness
Thereto respectively were filed and registered on the 28th September 1880 Charles--------- Judge of Probate