The Last Will and Testament of Ellen Mansfield Costin (1822-1902, Lot 2)Filed May 12, 1902 Registered Received N. McQuarrie Esq May 12th 1902 Reg Liber 16, Folio 2
Second Wife of Michael Costin
Place of Birth: Ireland
Place of Death: Prince Edward Island
In the Name of God – Amen
I Elen Mansfield Costin of Palmer Road Township Number Two (2) in Prince County Prince Edward Widow of the Late Michael Costin being sick and weak as to bodily strength but possessing the use of my reason and being of sound mind and judgement, wish to make known this my last will and Testament.
- I order that after my death all my lawful debts and my funeral expenses being paid my property being disposed of as follows:
- I leave and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Emily McLellan one half of the farm I now live on that is to say the half next to the Palmer Road said half containing fifty acres of land a little more or less together with my dwelling house barn all outhouses, also all my stock consisting of horses except one mare two years old and one cow, horn cattle, sheep, pigs and all my farming implements including waggon and sleigh, horse tackling and house furniture.
- I leave and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Liza Costin a young mare two years old reserved in the forgoing section of this my last will and testament.
- I leave and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Catherine Blizard one cow reserved in the second section of this will.
- I order that within one year after my death my beloved daughter Emily McLellan shall pay unto the Palmer Road Paris Priest the sum of twenty dollars $20.00 for Masses for the repose of my soul
- I leave and bequeath unto my daughter Anne the remainder of my farm containing fifty acres of land a lttle more or less for her use and benefit during her lifetime and at her death said land to be given to my said beloved daughter Emily McLellan
- I order that my said beloved daughter Anne be kept and maintained in a Christian like manner during her life and time by my said daughter Emily McLellan and to attend to her wants during sickness in a proper and becoming manner.
- I hereby revoke and cancel any will which I may have heretofore made.
- I hereby appoint the Reverend Dugald M. MacDonald of Tignish and Richard Noonan my sole Executors and Administrators of this my Last Will and Testament.
In witness whereof I the said Elen Mansfield Costin have hereunto set my Hand and Seal this second day of September AD 1887 in presence of
Elen Mansfield X Costin
Stanislaus F. Perry
Note (***) – Words ineligible
The following is:
In Re Estate of Elen M Costin late of Palmer Road Lot 2 Prince County
See Value of the Estate given in this letter
Mcleod, Morson & McQuarrie Offices at Charlottetown and Summerside
Barrister & Attorney Prince Edward Island
Summerside, P.E. Island, 10 May 1902
Richard Redden Esquire
Surrogate Judge of Probate for Charlottletown
Dear Sir/ I enclose your Majesty for registry the last Will of Ellen M Costain of Palmer Road Lot 2 Widow of Michael Costain. It purports to devise 100 acres of Land. She was mistaken in the quantity. Michael Costain had 100 acres but he devise 50 to his daughter and 50 to his widow. The whole 100 ac would be worth about $1200.00. Her whole estate would be worth $700.00
Yours truly(Note that name is spelled Costain in this letter)
(****) denotes that word is illegible.
Transcribed by Edward Fitzgerald - email@example.com